Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardwood for Boatbuilding - Please help!

Options
  • 15-12-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi 
    I am building a 14 foot clinker boat but I am struggling to find a timber yard that does kiln dried hardwood. Could somebody please recommend one? 
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

yosakuda wrote: »
    Hi 
    I am building a 14 foot clinker boat but I am struggling to find a timber yard that does kiln dried hardwood. Could somebody please recommend one? 
    Thanks!

What wood species do you need and what part of the country are you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yosakuda

Hi Recipio,
    I am building the boat in Donegal. Oak or mahogany([font=Calibri, sans-serif]West African or Khaya maybe?)[/font] would be good.. also open to using other good hardwoods. As long as they are kiln dried to >10% moisture (using some epoxy).
    Thanks for the reply!

Hi Recipio,
    I am building the boat in Donegal. Oak or mahogany([font=Calibri, sans-serif]West African or Khaya maybe?)[/font] would be good.. also open to using other good hardwoods. As long as they are kiln dried to >10% moisture (using some epoxy).
    Thanks for the reply!

Boatbuilding is outside my experience but if you are going to use oak I would imagine it should be sourced from an Irish sawmill. ? American oaks are not renowned for water resistance. JP Corry are a good stockist of hardwoods last time I looked and there is an outlet in Derry, being mostly based in NI. As for the moisture content, wood that is left in the open air will be about 14% at least - you should bring it indoors for a month to get it down to 10% . The usual chain stockists in the ROI have never really recovered from the 2008 crash and stocks seem to be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 yosakuda

Thanks Recipio for the useful info! I am speaking with Murdock hardwood in Down and jpcorry Coleraine at the moment. i need planks 16" width and these are proving to be difficult to find with either of them.

Cheers for your help!

Thanks Recipio for the useful info! I am speaking with Murdock hardwood in Down and jpcorry Coleraine at the moment. i need planks 16" width and these are proving to be difficult to find with either of them.

Cheers for your help!

As far as I know clinker built boats usually use larch boards which don't have to be very dry and steam bent oak staves to strengthen the hull. I'd imagine a chat with a boatbuilder would be helpful.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I get the wood for my boats in Abbey woods http://www.abbeywoods.ie/marine-hardwoods/ I was able to get it in Brooks building supplies but the one near me is now closed maybe you could find one near you. Air dried timber will do the job kiln dried is hard to work with and can bend out of shape.

Advertisement