Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin men to marry to avoid inheritance tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Does it???

I thought confirmed bachelor was a playboy who would never settle down

Actually I still think it does
    WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Well f*ck me, if you're right, I've got some phone calls to make to an office-full of smug pr*cks I used to work with! :D:D:D

It used to very much be code for gay. But now that homosexuality is out in the open, it's not needed as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Well f*ck me, if you're right, I've got some phone calls to make to an office-full of smug pr*cks I used to work with! :D:D:D

It can mean either a gay man or someone who is not marrying material (ie sleeps around, playboy, doesn’t want to marry).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=confirmed%20bachelor

So now you need to phone those people again to tell them you were right the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It can mean either a gay man or someone who is not marrying material (ie sleeps around, playboy, doesn’t want to marry).

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=confirmed%20bachelor

So now you need to phone those people again to tell them you were right the first time.

I feel a passive-aggressive facebook post with a few tagged 'pals' coming... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's stopping heterosexual people doing that?

Only gay people would marry hetros. You can only avoid tax by marrying someone on the other side of the sexuality spectrum.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fair play to them, the whole concept of inheritance tax is immoral imo.v I just hope that the authorities don't block them from getting married because it's to exploit a tax break as opposed to it being a real relationship. I wouldn't be surprised if they viewed it as being similar to foreign guys marrying EU citizens here to get passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fair fcuks to them. More lads should do the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Yes, fair play to them. And fair play also to people who get married for immigration purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

So two people meet, become best friends, tell everyone they're getting married even though it's really just for tax purposes. They never have sex or show any physical interest in the other person.

Sounds like every marriage I've ever heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Fair fcuks to them. More lads should do the same
    I think the issue is that there won't be any "fair fcuks".

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

What annoys me about inheritance tax is- as a childless couple (not by choice) when we die & leave our hard earned money/ house etc to nephews/ nieces etc- we don’t have the option to ‘give’ the same tax exemptions to our benefactors as those with children do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Zaph wrote: »
    Fair play to them, the whole concept of inheritance tax is immoral imo.v I just hope that the authorities don't block them from getting married because it's to exploit a tax break as opposed to it being a real relationship. I wouldn't be surprised if they viewed it as being similar to foreign guys marrying EU citizens here to get passports.

Inheritance tax is by far the most moral tax there is.

Inheritance tax is by far the most moral tax there is.

Pretty much. A tax on unearned money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

RayM wrote: »
    Pretty much. A tax on unearned money.
    So no one earned the money?

diomed wrote: »
    So no one earned the money?

The person receiving it did not earn it.

• Advertisement

The person receiving it did not earn it.
    the person giving it did earn it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

And they don't pay the tax on it

Yeah, and they're not being taxed. The person receiving it is.

Every now and then I think boards can't get any dumber.... and then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would expect yearly tax audits for the both of them after they pull a stroke like this

• Advertisement

Every now and then I think boards can't get any dumber.... and then...

What's dumb about taxing unearned income?

And they don't pay the tax on it
    From my own experience the people giving the inheritance paid all the taxes levied by the state all their working lives.

From my own experience the people giving the inheritance paid all the taxes levied by the state all their working lives.

...and if the person who receives the inheritance never worked a day in their life? It's income, it gets taxed, which is fair. :)

What's dumb about taxing unearned income?

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Dumb response, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Only read the OP but I was convinced at the time of the referendum that Fianna Fail support for SSM was to allow property developers pass assets between themselves and avoid stamp duty and gift tax. There is nothing illegal about it as consummation of a marriage is not mandated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zaph wrote: »

On the other hand, I'm in a committed sexual relationship for well over 5 years. I'm getting all the sex I need. We both have or could get Irish passports in our own right. The ONLY reason for us to marry now is tax. So should we be allowed to get married?

And one of the best marriages I know is between a man and a woman who don't even share a bedroom. due to the mental health issues which one of them has. Sex or not, they love, honour and cherish better than most "healthy" people I know. Should that be allowed?

And they don't pay the tax on it again.

And they don't pay the tax on it again.
    If i could understand your posts i could reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

kona wrote: »
    Are you insane? Lol
    Why do you think he's insane there were two choices in the referendum he was entitled to vote what ever way he wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sooo... are these lads going to consummate their union to make it all official like?

(Visions of some sort of sex inspector knocking on newly-weds doors to check they're actually riding each other and the marriage isn't a sham :eek: )

Scrap the cap!

If i could understand your posts i could reply.

It's already been explained to you

Sooo... are these lads going to consummate their union to make it all official like?

(Visions of some sort of sex inspector knocking on newly-weds doors to check they're actually riding each other and the marriage isn't a sham :eek: )

If they go to any musicals over the next while, I'd advise them to keep the receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t see how anyone can be surprised.
    It makes perfect sense. If an unmarried man or woman wants to leave/gift any kind of money or property to an unmarried family friend or anyone at all, sure why not trot down to the registry office.
    Save yourself a fortune in tax.
    It only costs €200.
    It’s only a legal contract.
    If you fall out later just get a divorce.
    The sooner the better the Irish wedding with the white dress and the doves and the chocolate fountain nonsense dies a death the better.
    Solicitors/accountants should actually encourage this.
    We will all have to pay more tax now to make up for the loss to Revenue but what about it.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Back in the day the tax year used to start in April.
    Might have been Charlie McCreevy who changed it to a calendar year or maybe a minister before him, ah it was a long time ago

No tax credits back then but you had the tax free allowance

April was the peak month for weddings as it was the start of the tax year and the non working wife could transfer their allowance. And the reason I say wife is we know it was most cases and if she was a civil servant she was forced to resign! Though the civil service bar is decades ago, not recent history

OP, tax avoidance all legal was going on 50 years ago. Anyone who pays more tax than they have to is a fool
    Plenty still have their tax year from April to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 west20s

I wonder would he get the Widow's Pension also?

west20s wrote: »
    Only if he gets rear ended beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Inheritance tax is not right anyway! When you earn your money you pay tax on it and then they want you to pay tax on it again? F**k off

Inheritance tax is on unearned wealth you clown.

Mod-Banned

It’s just dawned on me this minute that for the insignificant sum of €200 2 unmarried close friends can marry in order to avail of the married tax credit.
    Let’s face it if your 45+ you still have at least 20 years to work.
    It doesn’t look as if your going to meet Mr/Ms Right now, and if you do you can always get divorced .
    Even if the divorce costs €3000 you’ll still probably be quids in. Let’s hope they soon relax the divorce laws do you can get a quickie like you can in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The ONLY reason for us to marry now is tax.

We got married for two reasons, neither to do with tax (we were earning pretty much the same and brought pretty much the same assets into the relationship)

(a) We wanted to make a public declaration of our commitment in front of our families, friends and society (represented by the civil celebrant)

(b) to provide the best legal basis for the children we went on to have. I didn't want to be an unwed father applying for guardianship of my own kids and still having feck all rights.

Yes there was a nice day out and a white dress (for her) but no bloody chocolate fountains!

Scrap the cap!

west20s wrote: »

Of course . Good God this gets better by the minute. €193 per week going up to €198 in April. Taxable but not meanstested .
    I love it!

Is it possible for my Dad to divorce my Mam so I can then marry him before he dies? If so I'd do it to get out of the moronic inheritance tax that's in place.

No. At the moment there’s a whole list of people you can’t marry and your father is one of them .
    But anything can happen in these crazy days.

You seem to enjoy calling everyone racist? Is that even allowed?

It’s not really. Needs to be reported and let the mods sort it out.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Plenty still have their tax year from April to March.

Not in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The only problem I have with it is they are broadcasting it , of all the departments to play chicken with the revenue commissioners take no prisoners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Oh, and yes, I'd say you're almost definitely a homophobe. You've a history of making racist posts, and people like you never just have the one horrible opinion, do they?

Ugh. Ray would you believe me if I told you I can see directly into peoples souls.

No doubt the genuine racists and homophobics will all go to hell.

The only difference between you and them, is you're in your own personal one before you join them.

secman wrote: »
    This is actually a heterosexual marriage as both men have declared thst they are straight, so it's the same as all the other heterosexual marriages :) ..... just a bit different.

We don’t have hetero or homo marriage.
    Just marriage.

Sparko wrote: »
    Revenue take tax avoidance very seriously - if they just got married and kept their head down it probably wouldn't be an issue, but they've clearly stated they're trying to avoid tax.

But loads of couples get married just to get tax breaks.
    It’s not illegal.
    How is this any different?

allowing gay marriage with diminish the sanctity of marriage - they said.
    bollocks - the others said.

now this...I guess the holy-joes were right.

I wish I considered this scenario during the referendum - I'd have got top trolling out of it

There was never sanctity in the legal bit of marriage .
    The only sanctity is in the RC Sacrament of Matrimony.

Calhoun wrote: »
    The only problem I have with it is they are broadcasting it , of all the departments to play chicken with the revenue commissioners take no prisoners.

Irish people have got married for no other reason then financial for hundreds of years.
    I don’t know why you think it’s illegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement