Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin men to marry to avoid inheritance tax

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Could the older man not just put his house in both their names as joint tenants and then the younger man would automatically get it without paying inheritance tax? Mind you, if there are other substansive assets such as cash, shares, etc, then he would have to pay IH tax on it and as a non relative, anything above €15k would be liable for 33% IH tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Does a marriage not have to be consummated in order to be legal?

As Confucius say:
    Up the bum. no harm done

(Serious answer, I think that's for the Church, not legal rules)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

what benefit does straight marriage provide, I presume you're going for the producing children angle?. Well that. in the current world, is a huge disadvantage, due to the over population problem we current have...

Ehhh, you're talking out your hoop in fairness? There are not enough children being born in Europe in general to replace current population. Average woman has 1.6 kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Many marriages could be for that purpose. There is no law against it, as long as the marriage is legal.

The taxman will get his share after the two of them are dead.

There is, there are laws which say if you do a series of things the main purpose of which is to avoid tax, they are disregarded. These guys have openly stated in the national press that the only reason they are getting married is to avoid tax. It falls squarely within our anti-avoidance rules, there's no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

There are laws which are in place where Revenue ignore arrangements which are put in place for the principal purpose of avoiding tax. Hard luck lads.

All appears to be legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

There is, there are laws which say if you do a series of things the main purpose of which is to avoid tax, they are disregarded. These guys have openly stated in the national press that the only reason they are getting married is to avoid tax. It falls squarely within our anti-avoidance rules, there's no doubt about it.

Revenue already said it won't be investigated. Basic indication is that no laws are being broken.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/male-friends-wedding-to-avoid-tax-bill-will-not-be-investigated-by-revenue-36414511.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Not if it’s passed on to the children.

Does a marriage not have to be consummated in order to be legal?

How do you propose that be policed?
    Incidentally marriage between same sex couples cannot by definition be “consummated”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society.

Useless gubbermint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

splinter65 wrote: »
    How do you propose that be policed?
    Incidentally marriage between same sex couples cannot by definition be “consummated”.

Of course it can. Consummation just means finalised. It's consumated as soon as they sign the papers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

a bunch of indian fellas who work in my local gala shop all have wife's from east europe, that must be some sort of scam ?

Nope, it's because there are cracking birds in Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course it can. Consummation just means finalised. It's consumated as soon as they sign the papers.

Consummation means the act of sexual intercourse

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Consummation means the act of sexual intercourse

No, consummation actually means finalisation. Sexual intercourse (which gay man can, of course do) is just the more traditionally accepted method of said consumation. The marriage is legally binding beforehand.

Dr Brown wrote: »
    This is one of the reasons I didn't vote for same sex marriage.

It was inevitable people would use it to avoid paying tax

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1215/927697-tax-marriage/

They could have got a civil partnership 3 years ago anyway so your reason was silly and pointless

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is it just coincidence that both grooms look like a David Norris impersonation double act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

They could have got a civil partnership 3 years ago anyway so your reason was silly and pointless

I wasn't a fan of civil partnership either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You must not be a fan of hetero marriages either so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Is it just as simple as being married and bam, you avoid inheritance tax? Are there not conditions like you need to be living together where the house is the primary residence of both people? I inherited 2 houses in Ireland and I remember a lot of conditions to determine how much tax I paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is it just as simple as being married and bam, you avoid inheritance tax? Are there not conditions like you need to be living together where the house is the primary residence of both people? I inherited 2 houses in Ireland and I remember a lot of conditions to determine how much tax I paid.

Spouse inherit taxfree, sons and daughters around 300000 tax free, i think, nephews and nieces get around 30000......as you say a lot of conditions.
    So the younger mans children shouldn't have to pay tax n the house either......great result
    Best of luck to them anyway

• Advertisement

Still silly and pointless

Terry Pratchet

Even for straight couples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Even for straight couples?

Straight couples couldn't enter a civil partnership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

This is one of the reasons I didn't vote for same sex marriage.

It was inevitable people would use it to avoid paying tax but anyone who tried to say this around the time of the referendum would been branded a "homophobe" by the PC brigade.

I said at the time that same sex marriage would cost the tax payer millions of euro in lost tax.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1215/927697-tax-marriage/

That Adam Sandler and Kevin James movie has come to life.

Advertisement