Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending 20kg package to Melbourne

Options
  • 15-12-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any info on the best method. I know An Posts rates don't look bad but a bit confused by the dimensional costs. Not sure what size the standard box size their rates are based on is.

Any other options also appreciated. Need to send one or two boxes around this weight in January

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's in the Guide to Postal Rates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Anyone got any info on the best method. I know An Posts rates don't look bad but a bit confused by the dimensional costs. Not sure what size the standard box size their rates are based on is.

Any other options also appreciated. Need to send one or two boxes around this weight in January

I think anything with a side over 60cm goes as a parcel rather than a packet (which is cheaper). A photocopy paper box which holds 5 reams of paper is charged as a packet. they will charge you which ever is more expensive - the dimensional weight or actual weight. So if you have a box that has a dimensionsl weight of 10kg but the parcel weighs 20kg you’ll pay the price of 20kg.

This is totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

amtc wrote: »
    This is totally wrong.

Which part? This is from the an post website...

The Parcel rate of postage caters for items up to the following size dimensions and is subject to a physical & dimensional weight limit of 20kg.
    Dimensions
    Maximum dimensions:
    Length: 1.5 metres
    Length + Girth: 3 metres

To calculate the Girth: 2 x (Depth + Width)
    Weight
    The maximum weight limit per item is 20kg.
    Sometimes, large items with a light overall weight - such as a box of pillows - can be charged according to their Dimensional Weight. This reflects the additional cost of transporting light but sizeable items. It is recommended that you calculate the Dimensional Weight for every shipment that you send, then compare this to its actual weight. The greater weight of the two is used to work out the price that we charge you[\B]

To calculate the Dimensional Weight:
    (L x W x D) / 6,000

L = Length in centimetres
    W = Width in centimetres
    D = Depth in centimetres

Example:
    A 10kg item, which is 62cm long, 49cm in width and 39cm in depth will have a Dimensional Weight of:

(62x49x39)/6000 = 19.75 which is rounded up to 20 giving you a Dimensional weight of 20kg.

the only bit i may have got wrong is the packet bit...i just saw packets can weigh no more than 2kg. I sent parcels home for christmas at the start of dec which were light but bulky. I managed to fit them into the photocopy paper bix and was inly charged €18.80 for them.

This is the packet info

Limits
    The Packet rate of postage caters for items within the following
    dimensions.
    Dimensions:
    Minimum dimensions: 100mm(L) X 70mm(H) X 25mm(D).
    Maximum dimensions: for a packet are a combined length, height and depth of 900mm. No individual dimension can exceed 600mm, with a tolerance of 2mm.
    In tube form the maximum dimensions are the length plus twice the diameter 1,040mm with no one dimension exceeding 900mm, with a tolerance of 2mm.
    Weight:
    Items which qualify for the Packet rate of postage must weigh no more than 2kg.

Items that are bigger or heavier than the maximum size and weight limits of a Packet will be classed as a Parcel.

The packet bit. There is a physical template with slots at each post office. Max for a packet is 2kg but there are some differences internationally.

Believe me as I wrote quite a lot of this stuff in a previous life!

• Advertisement
Advertisement