Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodcarving tools

• 16-12-2017 4:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭

Hi all, im looking to get into woodcarving and am just wondering if anyone knows where i could buy the chisels and stuff, is there a place that sells in the Clare,limerick,galway area?

Also any other tips on stuff to get and advice be appreciated!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Cupatae wrote: »
    Hi all, im looking to get into woodcarving and am just wondering if anyone knows where i could buy the chisels and stuff, is there a place that sells in the Clare,limerick,galway area?

Also any other tips on stuff to get and advice be appreciated!

Cheers.

Most carving sets are made from poor quality Chinese steel and best avoided. Try and research the good quality tools like Pfeil and buy online ( second hand is absolutely fine ) You will need to consider how to sharpen them and that's a whole other world.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

recipio wrote: »
    Most carving sets are made from poor quality Chinese steel and best avoided. Try and research the good quality tools like Pfeil and buy online ( second hand is absolutely fine ) You will need to consider how to sharpen them and that's a whole other world.;)

140 pound for 1... lol surely there must be something decent for a beginner that doesnt cost that much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

140 pound for 1... lol surely there must be something decent for a beginner that doesnt cost that much ?

The cheap chinese sets are rubbish but they are still a good start. No point having a €100 tool if you can't even sharpen it. Cheap tools probably won't hold a good edge for a very long so you can get plenty of practice sharpening them.

However may I suggest the Record Power 12 Carving Chisel set. I can't find an Irish supplier with a quick google but here is a nice little piece on them from the US https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1601jan/toolreview/record-power-carving-chisel-set-tool-review.html I'd expect them to be around €150 for the set may be a little more.

Then you WILL need some form of vice or clamps to hold your work piece and of course some suitable sharpening stones (or system).

my3cents wrote: »
    The cheap chinese sets are rubbish but they are still a good start. No point having a €100 tool if you can't even sharpen it. Cheap tools probably won't hold a good edge for a very long so you can get plenty of practice sharpening them.

However may I suggest the Record Power 12 Carving Chisel set. I can't find an Irish supplier with a quick google but here is a nice little piece on them from the US https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodworking-tips-1601jan/toolreview/record-power-carving-chisel-set-tool-review.html I'd expect them to be around €150 for the set may be a little more.

Then you WILL need some form of vice or clamps to hold your work piece and of course some suitable sharpening stones (or system).

Ya i was thinking that about the vice or clamp i only a computer desk asuch to work with was hoping a clamp might do :/ i wont be doing anything major just small peices to start with like you tubing videos of easy beginner projects and puzzles ect

Im guessing something like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/KWOW-Professional-Sculpture-Sculpting-Woodworking/dp/B074S1N9KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1513642321&sr=1-1&keywords=wood+carving+set

Wouldnt be any good to start with ? they seem to have got good reviews.

Also is sharping them that big of an ordeal?

Ya i was thinking that about the vice or clamp i only a computer desk asuch to work with was hoping a clamp might do :/ i wont be doing anything major just small peices to start with like you tubing videos of easy beginner projects and puzzles ect

Im guessing something like these https://www.amazon.co.uk/KWOW-Professional-Sculpture-Sculpting-Woodworking/dp/B074S1N9KY/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1513642321&sr=1-1&keywords=wood+carving+set

Wouldnt be any good to start with ? they seem to have got good reviews.

Also is sharping them that big of an ordeal?

About the worst you could buy, totally crap! I'm all for cheap tools but those are too cheap.

• Advertisement

These would be better still cheap chinese and they will probably need a lot of work getting then sharpened to start with https://www.amazon.co.uk/12PC-CHISEL-CARVING-PROFESSIONAL-CARPENTERS/dp/B01JZOB41K/ still I'd suggest replacing them as you get better.

These would be better still cheap chinese and they will probably need a lot of work getting then sharpened to start with https://www.amazon.co.uk/12PC-CHISEL-CARVING-PROFESSIONAL-CARPENTERS/dp/B01JZOB41K/ still I'd suggest replacing them as you get better.

Ya its just something to get me started is all im looking for the plan was to buy something cheap and if i keep going with it id invest more in it.

Cheers for the suggestions by the way, any tips on sharpening em do i just need a whetstone?

Ya its just something to get me started is all im looking for the plan was to buy something cheap and if i keep going with it id invest more in it.

Cheers for the suggestions by the way, any tips on sharpening em do i just need a whetstone?

I could write a book on sharpening and I'm still not that great at it. Check youtube and other online sources for howto's. Its not just one wetstone you need, you need different grades and different shapes for the curved chisels. Then you have massive choice including traditional oil stone, Japanese water stones and diamond plus sharpening systems that are very good but can cost a fortune.

I could write a book on sharpening and I'm still not that great at it. Check youtube and other online sources for howto's. Its not just one wetstone you need, you need different grades and different shapes for the curved chisels. Then you have massive choice including traditional oil stone, Japanese water stones and diamond plus sharpening systems that are very good but can cost a fortune.

Are you talking high end again, or in general cost a fortune for a basic way to sharpen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There is a set of 17 vintage carving tools on #bay at the moment - asking £30. The British tools ( Marples/Sorby/ Ashley Iles ) are way better than Chinese junk
    so don't be fooled by shiny boxes. I agree the continental tools like Pfeil are overpriced but with carving the feel of the tool in the hand is important so try a few brands. The diamond sharpening tools come in all sizes and shapes and are very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Avoid cheap chinese crap when it comes to carving chisels in particular.

I know my chisels are sharp when they shave the hairs from the back of my arm.

So I know how to sharpen. But you wont be able to sharpen cheap tat, as the carbon

content of the steel is non existent. No matter what sharpening tools ect you have.

I,m all for value for money tools, but in the case of carving chisels , its

the quality of the steel thats the criteria.

Strongly reccomend the chap in Waterford/Wexford to pick out a nice set of secondhand

top quality branded tools for you.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

http://www.thecarpentrystore.com/

The Carpentry Store

kadman wrote: »
    Avoid cheap chinese crap when it comes to carving chisels in particular.

I know my chisels are sharp when they shave the hairs from the back of my arm.

So I know how to sharpen. But you wont be able to sharpen cheap tat, as the carbon

content of the steel is non existent. No matter what sharpening tools ect you have.

I,m all for value for money tools, but in the case of carving chisels , its

the quality of the steel thats the criteria.

Strongly reccomend the chap in Waterford/Wexford to pick out a nice set of secondhand

top quality branded tools for you.

kadman

Like i dont know if ill even like it, i just wanna try my hand at it, i dont wanna pay big money for something i might not be gone on, wud it not be worth it to buy a cheap set and then upgrade?

Or are cheap sets really that bad?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Cheap sets will totally turn you off woodcarving. Simply because you wont
    be able to perform a nice clean cut. You just wont have the edge for it.

Couple of good second hand gouges will always hold their price for re selling.

You wont be able to give away cheap carving chisels.

Clara boot sale you will pick up good carving tools for probably 10 euro or less a piece

if you are lucky.

If you want to try the easiest test route for carving, then simple whittling with a sharp

knife will soon give you the feel. Whittling knifes are cheap, and take an edge great.

You could get a cheap set of Nielsen carving tools, fifteen I think for a tenner.

Son bought a set years ago for carving rough items for his college course in prostetics.

Still hanging up in the workshop, never used once except for prising open paint cans.

He will probably let you have them for nowt, I,ll chat him when I see him.

He now spends thousands on top quality kit, because good tools perfected his craft.

kadman wrote: »
    Cheap sets will totally turn you off woodcarving. Simply because you wont
    be able to perform a nice clean cut. You just wont have the edge for it.

Couple of good second hand gouges will always hold their price for re selling.

You wont be able to give away cheap carving chisels.

Clara boot sale you will pick up good carving tools for probably 10 euro or less a piece

if you are lucky.

If you want to try the easiest test route for carving, then simple whittling with a sharp

knife will soon give you the feel. Whittling knifes are cheap, and take an edge great.

You could get a cheap set of Nielsen carving tools, fifteen I think for a tenner.

Son bought a set years ago for carving rough items for his college course in prostetics.

Still hanging up in the workshop, never used once except for prising open paint cans.

He will probably let you have them for nowt, I,ll chat him when I see him.

He now spends thousands on top quality kit, because good tools perfected his craft.

Ahh i get what ur saying i thought it d just be the wudnt last as long as better tools or something..That d be great! if he isnt using em id happily buy em off him ill check out them whittling knives

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

Record Power are definitely the best I have used. I bought my starter set 2 or 3 years ago online from Roynane Hardware, based in Thurles, Co. Tipp. Free delivery. I think they were €99. I don't see them listed on their website anymore. People from my class shopped for equipment at The Carpentry Store in Kildare and Joe McKenna's in Limerick. I bought a set in Aldi recently but haven't had a chance to use them yet. You mightn't need to buy tools to start out, the instructor could let you use theirs until you decide whether or not you like it. I'm sure you will like it, it was the best hobby I took up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

I could write a book on sharpening...

Lie-Nielsen beat you to it. :D Those Taunton's books are usually pretty good.

Bought cheap tools, broke nearly instantly... lesson learnt ha

Advertisement