Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Warehouse repairs and Consumer protection act

Options
  • 16-12-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how Amazon can avoid handling repairs on products under warranty that are sold through the warehouse?

Recently bought a TV from them which has since developed a fault. I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed it was under warranty and tried to fix it but are unable to do so as they don't have engineers in Ireland. They suggested contacting the retailer for a replacement and provided an uplift number for the product but Amazon will only offer a refund on the price paid and refuse to handle repairs or replacements on the item. They say stock levels are the reason and it could impact sales via Amazons primary website.

Just wondering how they can get around this issue given the manufacturer has confirm the warranty is in place and that the item should be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Doodee wrote: »
    I was wondering how Amazon can avoid handling repairs on products under warranty that are sold through the warehouse

Amazon are fulfilling their obligation - they are offering you a full refund for a faulty item.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Manufacturer's warranty and consumer protection law have nothing to do with each other. The warranty is a contract between you and the manufacturer, Amazon are not bound by it in any way. Amazon are bound by consumer protection law, which uses a repair, refund or replace model, which they have abided by

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The retailer has to offer one of the three r's which they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

28064212 wrote: »
    Manufacturer's warranty and consumer protection law have nothing to do with each other. The warranty is a contract between you and the manufacturer, Amazon are not bound by it in any way. Amazon are bound by consumer protection law, which uses a repair, refund or replace model, which they have abided by
    Broadly correct, but I don't think a warranty is a contract between the consumer and the manufacturer, because the consumer has not made any agreement with the manufacturer.

It might be treated as a voluntary undertaking by the manufacturer, one which manufacturers generally honour. On that basis, I do not disregard warranties, but if I am not satisfied with what the manufacturer does, I would see my recourse as being against the retailer.

[Just a week ago I contacted a manufacturer about a faulty product. They admitted that they could not fix it. I went back to the retailer and got a refund.]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Broadly correct, but I don't think a warranty is a contract between the consumer and the manufacturer, because the consumer has not made any agreement with the manufacturer.

It might be treated as a voluntary undertaking by the manufacturer, one which manufacturers generally honour.
    Warranties are legally enforceable though: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html
    Guarantees are legally binding. That is, they are enforceable through the courts if necessary.
    Admittedly, I'm not certain that it qualifies under the formal legal definition of a contract, but they are legally bound by their own terms and conditions. They can't publish a warranty which says "we'll replace your item for any reason in the first 12 months", and then turn around and say "oh, accept for these reasons" after the fact

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

28064212 wrote: »
    Warranties are legally enforceable though: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/guarantees.html

Admittedly, I'm not certain that it qualifies under the formal legal definition of a contract, but they are legally bound by their own terms and conditions. They can't publish a warranty which says "we'll replace your item for any reason in the first 12 months", and then turn around and say "oh, accept for these reasons" after the fact
    I checked further. You are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Retailer offers full refund for faulty item.

Customer has an issue with this?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Retailer offers full refund for faulty item.

Customer has an issue with this?????

I've heard it before when customers buy something on sale or can't buy something of the same quality at the same price and prefer a repair or replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Doodee wrote:
    Just wondering how they can get around this issue given the manufacturer has confirm the warranty is in place and that the item should be replaced?

Your contract is with Amazon not the manufacturer. Amazon are fulfilling their obligation by offering you a refund.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doodee wrote: »

ah but the warranty isn't in place...at-least not with the manufacturer.

Warehouse Deals items are USED items, as such any manufacturer warranty would not apply to you as you didn't purchase the item as new.

So instead Amazon provides its own warranty for 1 year as explained on their website, in a situation where the item breaks Amazon will refund the item if you return it. Thats the warranty. its that simple.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah but the warranty isn't in place...at-least not with the manufacturer.

Warehouse Deals items are USED items, as such any manufacturer warranty would not apply to you as you didn't purchase the item as new.

Irrelevant to this thread really, but how would the manufacturer know that? The invoice does not state the item was purchase from Warehouse Deals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

grogi wrote: »
    Irrelevant to this thread really, but how would the manufacturer know that? The invoice does not state the item was purchase from Warehouse Deals.

The fact they are used items isn't relevant?
    I'll think you'll find its very relevant.

Manufacturer could easily know, for example the customer who previously owned the item before returning could have registered it.

Either way, its a used item, if the manufacturer looks for proof of purchase it'll show warehouse deals on the invoice from Amazon which confirms its a used item.

Bottom line, Amazon is fulfilling all its obligations here.
    There is no issue.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Either way, its a used item, if the manufacturer looks for proof of purchase it'll show warehouse deals on the invoice from Amazon which confirms its a used item

No, it won't.

Advertisement