Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Separation of Switchgear

Options
  • 16-12-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi all.

I realise that this is a sub-forum of "Home and Garden" but hoping that you can assist...

I have done a recent inspection of an office building and have come across sizeable (what looks to me like) switchgear equipment in the reception area with no enclosure. See attached photo. There were also some smaller ones. Photo also attached which was labelled "AMBREX SWITCHGEAR 400 VOLTS 63 AMPS 50Hz".

My question is: does ET101 require these installations to be enclosed and if so does the enclosure need to be fire resisting?

Many thanks for any assistance.

D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I see nothing wrong with either photo.
    What do you mean "no enclosure" ??

If I were pedantic (I'm not, honestly) I would say that there is some trunking lid missing on the 2nd photo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Thanks for the response.

Technical Guidance Document (page 17) classifies "Transformer and Switchgear Rooms" as being a place of special fire risk and therefore requiring to be separated from the rest of the accommodation due to the fire risk posed. Switchgear is not defined however.

Having read this thread (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93008560) I was of the impression the the type of switchgear in the photo may have to be separated in accordance with the ET101 2008 regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Mod note:
    The idea of the forum is to share information and encourage questions.
    Your posts should reflect this.
    Thank you.

Dubsey wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

Technical Guidance Document (page 17) classifies "Transformer and Switchgear Rooms" as being a place of special fire risk and therefore requiring to be separated from the rest of the accommodation due to the fire risk posed. Switchgear is not defined however.

Having read this thread (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93008560) I was of the impression the the type of switchgear in the photo may have to be separated in accordance with the ET101 2008 regs?

so obviously if you're completing inspections of office buildings you're a REC?
    so what in your trained and competent opinion, as a REC, is wromng with the equipment in the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dubsey

Hi micks,

I'm actually a trained, competent and chartered fire engineer inspecting the building.

But sometimes it's important to know when your level of competence is being stretched (e.g. a fire engineer assessing the compliance of a switchgear installation against a wiring code) and to ask someone who knows ore may even have a copy of the relevant code.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dubsey wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.

I know of many different electrical installations that I have worked in including manufacturing facilities, office blocks, hospitals and colleges. In all of these examples I have seen MCC's & distribution boards such as the ones photographed in service ducts just off corridors. Many of these would have double wooden doors opening out onto the corridor, so hardly fireproof.

I have also seen plenty of MCC's & distribution boards installed around the factory floor, so not in an enclosed room or duct. My personal view is that this increases the chances of spotting an issue before it develops into something more serious without having to use an expensive VESDA system or similar.

In terms of switchgear, MCC's, distribution boards and related equipment, I can't think of anything else that should generate much heat apart from VSDs, power factor correction equipment and transformers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement