Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring IP camera

Options
  • 16-12-2017 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi , Have a hikvision ip camera in my shed wired directly to router in the house 40 meters away. It went offline and I took it down and tried it with a short cable inside. Still didn't work but eventually found out my ip gateway address was changed and when I entered the new one hey presto----camera works.
    So I put camera back out in shed but no connection. Light on router is flashing but not staying on as consistently as it was.
    Cat5 cable to shed was originally a crossover although when I had the camera inside it worked on a straight through cable as well.
    I guess theres a problem with my cable or connections but Im just wondering which wiring system should be used.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Straight through cable is the norm. If it tested ok from a patch lead id say your cable is the problem. If you can run out a length of cat 5 to the shed and test again, if it works then happy days you know you can run it properly then. Is the current cat5 external cat5?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

Thanks for reply.
    I redone the rj45 connectors at both ends and yippee it worked. I actually left it wired as was, a crossover. Just a bit confused that it works on both wiring systems but I guess if it works I'm not touching it.

Jack C wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.
    I redone the rj45 connectors at both ends and yippee it worked. I actually left it wired as was, a crossover. Just a bit confused that it works on both wiring systems but I guess if it works I'm not touching it.

Happys days fair play its always good when it doesnt break your heart trying to figure out whats wrong.

Edit; out of curiosity does the camera have a stand alone power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Jack C

[QUOTE Edit; out of curiosity does the camera have a stand alone power supply?[/QUOTE]

Yes,

[QUOTE Edit; out of curiosity does the camera have a stand alone power supply?

Yes,[/quote]

Was thinking that alright seen as it was working with a crossover cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Thanks for reply.

You are not the first to have this issue and not the last :D

Advertisement