Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you want to listen to music outside of data range is iPod still best?

Options
  • 16-12-2017 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Or what other options are out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

That would be Spotify premium not possible on the unpaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Or what other options are out there?

Are you talking best possible audio experience paired with high end headphones? Or convenience? If a phone is part of the equation then there's lots of options. Depends on whether apple or android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

You'll (technically) have to pay for the music you put on an ipod too.[/quote]

I don’t even know how to use an iPod to be honest. I’m asking for a brother who already has a very old iPod and wants a new one and I’m wondering if there are better options out there for him.

Thanks for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,200 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you talking best possible audio experience

I very much doubt he's experienced it, the iPod has a lot to answer for. If Neil ever walks through the pearly gates the first thing he'll probably do is bust Steves nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

I very much doubt he's experienced it, the iPod has a lot to answer for. If Neil ever walks through the pearly gates the first thing he'll probably do is bust Steves nose.

Some of the ipods have pretty decent dacs in them. Paired with good headphones they are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

iPods are great. I don't use my phone for music best option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I have a ton of CD's which over the years all made their way to my iTunes Library. I could probably listen to them non stop for about a month without any repeats, so I really don't see the benefit of spendig a tenner a month on the likes of spotify etc. There is not enough room on my phone to load my full library, so MP3 players are still a much better option for me. I still buy a CD when I want new music, generally might be a pressie or something. I don't illegally download... just couldn't be arsed.

From what I've seen, iPods are crap nowadays as they are basically iPhones without a sim. To much going on with them if you just want them for music. Like why do you need them to play games, take pictures etc... when your phone does all that. Sure the capacity alone would be half drained by the time you get it out of the box with all the pre loaded apps. I have 2 iPod Classics. The last ever generation of the classic, a 160GB version is about 5 years old but it is super, battery will last hours. I use it on docking stations around the house or when I am out and about walking/workouts etc. I've just got bluetooth headphones but they are lost on the classic as it doesn't have bluetooth. If they made a bluetooth version of an iPod classic I would go straight out and buy one. However I've found a few bluetooth adaptors on amazon, but I'm not sure yet which one is the best to go for. I don't mind spending a few quid to make sure the quality is as good as can be. Anyone any recomendations?

I still use my iPod 3rd generation. Battery is a bit fecked on that. I get no more than an hour or so out of it, which when you think that it's probably 15 years old is not to bad at all really. But I have it in the car, hidden away in the glove box where it is linked straight into my Comand system and I can control it from the centre console or steering wheel. It is permanently powered via the cable in glovebox so battery is not really an issue for me, unless I'm syncing lots of data with it as I don't have firewire on my laptop so thats when it dies. It is only 40GB and I've probably got 80GB of music on my laptop, so I do change it up every so often, but it gets through it after a couple of recharges.

I would like to see a quality iPod along the lines of the classic, basicially with the job of playing tunes and not much more than that with bluetooth technology. Well either that or just bring back the walkman :) Speaking of which, Sony of course still do a Walkman, but my sweet lord they are expensive!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you have an Android phone you can save 50,000 of your own songs to Google Play Music and access them for free over your data. So you don't need to have them saved to your phone or a subscription.

However, to access the music without data, you would first have to download them for offline access. You can do this through Google Play music too but has to be done while on Wifi or if you have free data, before turning off your data.

yea but data bundle is maxed out each month as it is, and then you go places where data is crap or not available at all such as being on a plane or in a dungeon!

Downloading to phone is all well and good, but there is not enough space and even if there was, it just slows it right down when you max it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea but data bundle is maxed out each month as it is, and then you go places where data is crap or not available at all such as being on a plane or in a dungeon!

Downloading to phone is all well and good, but there is not enough space and even if there was, it just slows it right down when you max it out.

I'm on 3 prepay so don't have any issues with a data limit.

You do have to plan ahead though if you're not gong to be accessing through data for whatever reason. Granted you can't download everything. I usually have 3 or 4 albums downloaded and change them around.

Wheety wrote: »
    I'm on 3 prepay so don't have any issues with a data limit.

You do have to plan ahead though if you're not gong to be accessing through data for whatever reason. Granted you can't download everything. I usually have 3 or 4 albums downloaded and change them around.

fair enough. just sounds like a PITA though. I will give it a try though

What is the craic with Apple Music for Android, is it the same principle?

Advertisement