Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting an Apple TV to an old flatscreen

Options
  • 16-12-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭

Hiya

1. Latest gen Apple TV. Only out is USB-C and a HDMI

I want to connect it to the old NEC flatscreen in the office which really only has a VGA in and a few other older connectors.

HDMI from Apple TV to VGA dongle works for picture ( although won't do HDCP content), and theres no audio.

There's no HDMI in on the flatscreen but the usual old stuff ( there's a HD coax )

If I wanted to watch and listen to netflix or other on the flatscreen etc what piece of hardware can facilitate this

Comments

If the TV doesn’t have HDMI then it wouldn’t support HDCP at all. So you may have to use a HDCP stripper device. You could then convert from HDMI to VGA or component video, the latter would give you audio so maybe that’s the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

thank you , did not know there were such things as HDCP strippers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Get a better VGA adapter.
    I have three different models and two of them handle audio.

You can also get boxes to convert to RGB video and stereo audio. If you have a row of 5 phono connectors that will probably give you the best result. I got one of these recently for my sister in law and she seems happy.

What model is the TV?

Advertisement