Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Fair Usage Policy - Imagine.ie

Options
  • 16-12-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all.

We live in a rural location near Drogheda. Because of our location, we cannot get conventional broadband through our phone line.

Consequently, we have gone with Imagine.ie. They offered us an 18 month contract with a daily allowance of 20 gig. This costs 60 pm. This is digital broadband.

However, more days than not, I receive their fair usage email, stating we are approaching our daily allowance ceiling (this is sent where you supposedly exceed 15 gig). Then we can't even stream Netflix.

We are definitely not using our connection excessively. The contract is on the basis that the broadband will be at a minimum of 30 Meg.

Anyone experiencing similar issues with imagine as a service provider ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Is your issue that you're being throttled between 15-20gig? I think it's mentioned in t&cs

3-4 hours of HD netflix use will exceed 15GB. It's prob a generous limit for students and home office use but i wouldn't recommend that package for families or people who stream their shows

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

I didn't realize that simple streaming would be so sore on the allowance. Is that because of the HD quality ?

Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Per netflix..

Low (0.3 GB per hour)
    Medium (SD: 0.7 GB per hour)
    High (Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour for HD and 7 GB per hour for Ultra HD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

With Netflix it is up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

We use imagine and have had no such problems once we set the quality to high instead of 4K.. Granted there is only two of us in the house but we watch a lot of netflix along with all the usual email/social media/youtube etc and haven't gone over our limit yet? We both work so mainly evenings when we might watch a couple of hours of Netflix or on a lazy Sunday a binge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

We are on the same service as you in the same area. We've had the email from Imagine probably half a dozen times in total over the last 6 months.

What are your usage patterns? How many hours are you streaming Netflix etc per day? What time are you getting email at? We are 2 adults and 2 kids and use email/ipad through the day with Netflix at the weekends for 4-6 hours and still don't exceed limits.

It is possible that some virus is increasing your usage. Do you have games console connected?

Advertisement