Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Science

Options
  • 16-12-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the Primary PGCE in England but unfortunately I don't have a Leaving Cert Science subject - a D in honours or C in pass in one is required for entry to the course – so I'm thinking of sitting one of the three in June.

Can anyone suggest which of the subjects is the most doable or if it is doable at all to cover the course in five or so months and get the required grade?

Also, would it be advisable to try and get someone to maybe give me one-on-one classes or would it be possible to just teach yourself the course?

I only did Ag Science for the leaving and got a C in the Junior Cert subject - I would've been stronger in the likes of English and Geography in school than in maths and the sciences.

An alternative would be to do one of the equivalency tests offered by St Mary's University in Twickenham. Unfortunately I am unable to post a link to them because I'm a new poster. I don't know if anyone has ever come across them, but would they maybe be more doable than sitting the LC ones again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

LUFC123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the Primary PGCE in England but unfortunately I don't have a Leaving Cert Science subject - a D in honours or C in pass in one is required for entry to the course – so I'm thinking of sitting one of the three in June.

Can anyone suggest which of the subjects is the most doable or if it is doable at all to cover the course in five or so months and get the required grade?

Also, would it be advisable to try and get someone to maybe give me one-on-one classes or would it be possible to just teach yourself the course?

I only did Ag Science for the leaving and got a C in the Junior Cert subject - I would've been stronger in the likes of English and Geography in school than in maths and the sciences.

An alternative would be to do one of the equivalency tests offered by St Mary's University in Twickenham. Unfortunately I am unable to post a link to them because I'm a new poster. I don't know if anyone has ever come across them, but would they maybe be more doable than sitting the LC ones again?

Thanks.

Is your agricultural science grade not recognised?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

In fairness, a monkey in the zoo would get a D in HL LC Biology. Definitely easier than Physics or Chemistry if you’re doing it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I would agree that biology is the easiest one.
    A lot of it is learning off information whereas there is a lot more understanding involved in the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

Is your agricultural science grade not recognised?

No, it has to be one of chemistry, biology or physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

LUFC123 wrote: »
    No, it has to be one of chemistry, biology or physics.

I'd say go with the biology so - I think there is a fair amount of biology in Ag. Science - I can be corrected on this. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Definitely go with biology. Ag science is a strange one, some count it as a science whereas other places do not. Same as applied maths, physics & chemistry combined

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

TheDriver wrote: »
    Ag science is a strange one, some count it as a science whereas other places do not.

Oh really? Namely where?

Advertisement