Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I do not think it is a good thing. It should not be restricted to ranges.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    There are a lot of rifle shooters who are not or do they want to be a member of a range. Not to mention the unnecessary expense of same.
    Absolutely right and again i agree with you.
    If there was a political will to allow us to do it (as in enough votes) DOJ would be told to sort it by the Minister.
    not quite, but i get your point and therein is the crux of the matter. The Doj/Government offered it to all people, groups and associations. You might be tired hearing this but i have to keep repeating so you know why its not so freely available.

When they all refused and only one took up the offer, the one that pushed for it in the first place, it meant that instead of having to actually deal with the legislation and make it a workable system like firearms licensing they had a captive audience they could make jump through hoops. It would have been better for the NRAI had ten, fifteen, or twenty NGBs/Groups applied for it, but they didn't. People then thought there was some secret deal done to which i always ask what exactly do the NRAI have that the DoJ wanted that they simply could not do/take with the stroke of a pen. No seems able to answer that one.

Anyway i digress, the NARGC refused it for all 28,000 members, the NASRPC refused it for their thousands of members, the IFA, NTSA, ITS, ICPSA, etc, etc all never applied. After an extension only one other group applied, albeit a little late to the party, but as they had no range, no facilities, and a host of other issues their application seemed to have fizzled out. Never actually heard what happened to it.

So the NRAI got it, and their members made use of it, but with such harsh restrictions, even on the range, that were imposed by the DoJ. The buildings, cost, practices, only NRAI disciplines (not for all members of the mnsci), etc. Do you think the lads like having to drive the range every time they want to load a few rounds, then back again a day or so later to shoot? Having it at home is the ultimate goal, but when you start from a position, as the DoJ see it, of all bar one group showing NO interest in it, its hard to argue the case of going from almost being banned to giving it to us at home.

Baby steps, and the first of those has been taken with the applications from the other ranges. Hopefully it'll spread to all members of each range, and perhaps some day to being able to do it at home.
    As for the fighting why this needs clarification considering the content on some threads on this forum is surprising to say the least.
    As we're discussing reloading i thought your comments were confined to that topic, but if you mean in the grander scheme of things then yes. The fighting is tiresome and seemingly never ending, but that won't stop. To think it will is naive, but if there could only be consensus on some things even that would be a step in the right direction, but with too many people doing their own thing and looking to start up their own groups its a case of things only getting more divisive and segregated.
    gunny123 wrote: »
    Yes Cass, but that is reloading at ranges, why not reload at home like the rest of the civilised world ?
    As above.

Going from it almost disappearing because of lack of interest to immediately having it at home for everyone was never going to happen. Trying to rush the Doj into something like that would have the opposite effect.

The first step is for more places, ranges and groups to seek it like they SHOULD have done 9 years ago, then we can worry about the other issues.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

@MODS.
    I googled this "ammo reloading in Ireland," and we have had on average since 2006 appx five main threads relating to reloading here since 2005.Was wondering, would it make sense to put up a permanent reloading thread with relevant legislation for those willing to brave this particular stormy sea??As we seem to be putting out the same info on the situation here every 18months or so?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I'm of the opinion that the subject needs to come up few months. Making it a sticky thread would just stop people posting.

Btw who has studied the explosives act?

But we are going over the same info over and over again on the same topic to the same questions.
    This is a hardy perennial thread.Put a link to the explosive act of 1875 and amendments,the ammunition making act of 1999 or 2000, and a brief history of whats going on at the minute and let people go figure from there.

If you want to change , us alone need to go knocking on the doors of the FCP via our organisations and get the Govt to go change primary legislation on a topic they don't particularly know anything about or want to know about or deal with an issue that is less pressing to them than some kind of shower curtain mould that needs protection from the depredations of President Trump's golf course in Co Clare.:rolleyes: Chances of success...Dog and none.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Attach the link to the relevant quoted portions of legislation. I never hear of the 1999 bit.

• Advertisement

No matter how many times I save that damn bit of legislation, it disappears on me again.:mad: It is out there and is the pertinent bit that covers the manufacture of ammo.[Unless Am I getting it mixed up with the updated explosives act of 1875?]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

When was home reloading and possession of black powder, or loose powder banned/no longer licenced/we don't like the sound o'dat ? The 1970's i suppose ?

Was reloading ever carried out here? I cound't tell ye..
    But it was never banned. The problem remains that it is the storage of the items that seems to cause concern.
    If it was banned then the lads in the midlands would be contravening a law, which by they way they are not..
    The problem is storage storage storage. Both commercial storGe and private storage..
    IMO.... below
    It is my opinion that the latter is not really an issue. But the facts remains that commercial storage in a premises requires authority to store the product and conditions maybe attached to that such as "no reloading supplies to leave the premises' at least not in their raw state..

Now if I'm wrong then don't hold back. Last have it out in the open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

gunny123 wrote: »
    When was home reloading and possession of black powder, or loose powder banned/no longer licenced/we don't like the sound o'dat ? The 1970's i suppose ?
    Its not banned, never has been. Same with licensing. The guys i know that done it under license were doing it up until 2005 or so. Not that they were stopped after that just they stopped themselves.

It can still be applied for but like everything else because the Gov. actually got involved in it without understanding the process they overcompensated for every aspect and as above have made it a financial burden to do now whereas before there was no such conditions (at least not to the extent there is now).
    Zxthinger wrote: »
    Yes.
    But it was never banned. The problem remains that it is the storage of the items that seems to cause concern.
    Correct
    If it was banned then the lads in the midlands would be contravening a law, which by they way they are not..
    No, they would never have got it in the first place.
    The problem is storage storage storage. Both commercial storGe and private storage..
    There is no private storage at present and the use of the word commercial is somewhat misleading. The current storage at the MNSCI is bulk storage as ordered by the DoJ.
    It is my opinion that the latter is not really an issue.
    Private storage? As above, not currently happening.
    But the facts remains that commercial storage in a premises requires authority to store the product and conditions maybe attached to that such as "no reloading supplies to leave the premises' at least not in their raw state..
    You seem to be over complicating the matter.

At present the MNSCI store a bulk quantity of propellant under authorisation/license from the DoJ. All reloading takes place on the range so that should address what i think you mean by "raw".

If you are referring to some other place/company/business buying, storing and selling then that is outside my wheelhouse and afaik not currently happening.
    Now if I'm wrong then don't hold back. Last have it out in the open.
    Have what out in the open?

You have essentially just said what is currently happening and phrased it in such a way as to make is seem like it needs debate. I don't follow your train of thought and am unsure of what you are trying to get at or the point you're trying to make.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Zxthinger wrote: »

Add to that...Acquisition outside the ROI, Import into the ROI, Transport into the ROI by EU approved means, Manufacturing the ammo in the ROI in accordance with the relevant act preconditions that are suited to industrial manufacture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement