Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell All in one with poor performance

Options
  • 16-12-2017 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Recently got dell xps 27 7760 all in one

It was expensive but it isnt working as well as i was expecting beforehand. have been on to dell support and they have made sure all my drivers etc are up to date

basically machine works fine for a while when i turn it on maybe up to 2 hours but then it starts crawling and becomes unusable and i need to turn it off for a while before going back to it again and it will be fine for another while

videos dont run as well on this machine as theye do on my 4 yr old laptop also especially after the machine has been on for awhile

Any ideas or do i just accept i bought an expensive but poor machine that isnt fir for purpose
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

k101 wrote: »
    basically machine works fine for a while when i turn it on maybe up to 2 hours but then it starts crawling and becomes unusable and i need to turn it off for a while before going back to it again and it will be fine for another while

First thing is that computers aren't like cars. While they do need to be rebooted every so often (daily at most) they dont usually need to be left off for more than a fraction of a second. If it's really the case that it needs to be left off then consider the more car like issue of overheating.

When it's misbehaving it'll be because of a lack one one of the following resources:
    - Compute (CPU)
    - I/O (RAM mostly)
    - Storage (hard drive)

Generally one or more of these is being hogged by a process (application/program)... or faulty.

While it's not performing well
    - Press control+alt+delete together on the keyboard
    - Click Task Manager
    - Click Performance

Tell us if CPU, Memory or Disk is high (above 80% for more than a 5 seconds at a time).

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭k101

none above 80, memory between 50 and 60 but rest very low , yet videos not playing smoothly, stoping briefly every few seconds and then starting again, never happens with laptop so nothing to do with internet connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Delli Alli has put in more than one poor performance lately

/leaves.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I wonder if a fan/heatsink came loose in transit. It would account for a lot of the symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Please dont tell me you bought the base model. A 4K display with a HD Graphics 630 chip is a ferrari running on olive oil.

• Advertisement

no not the base model, it was the middle one of the 3, think i might need to get another 16gb of ram

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I have a Dell AIO also. It works fine as a PC but my feeling is that it's really cheaply built. I've had a few issues and Dell support were of no use whatsoever and I eventually found a workaround myself.

I wouldn't recommend Dell any more. Up to now I've had about 5 Dells (still have a Inspiron 6400 that's about 12 years old that's a bit like the sweeping brush....5 new handles and 4 new heads but stilll working perfectly....) but there's no comparison in build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Welshprince

Does the machine have an expansion slot for a dedicated graphics card? If it does, installation of one might solve your issues. You can pick up a low profile card off ebay quite cheaply. If you already have 16gb of Ram in the machine you have plenty. You can get software to check operating temperatures of Ram, CPU, and HDD. If any of these temps are too high, report to Dell and you should get it sorted under warranty.
    Good luck hope you get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You should check out the CPU temperatures using HWInfo or any other monitoring temperature to rule out overheating. You can also get most of the specs to post up here using CPUz or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Spear wrote: »
    I wonder if a fan/heatsink came loose in transit. It would account for a lot of the symptoms.

Unlikely :

436470.jpg

Very often when someone complains their computer is slow they are talking about their internet experience - videos buffering, pages taking an age to load, files downloading slowly etc. Is this what the OP means ?

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Spear wrote: »

Oh, the memories :(

Like when I used to work for Dell tech support. A batch of the first Dimension systems with AGP graphic cards wouldn't post due to the card becoming unseated during transit. Had to talk hundreds of customers through opening the computer, pushing the card back into the slot and then closing it all up.

Sorry OP - this is of no use to you but it's what can happen, so as Spear suggested, check everything is seated properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

FanadMan wrote:
    Like when I used to work for Dell tech support. A batch of the first Dimension systems with AGP graphic cards wouldn't post due to the card becoming unseated during transit. Had to talk hundreds of customers through opening the computer, pushing the card back into the slot and then closing it all up.

Yeah especially when they have to travel a lot further afield than from Limerick these days..

Are you running SSD(s) OP?

cheers for the replies. i think it has ssd drive alright, not too up on the technical stuff.

have kept task manager open the last few times ive been working and it appears the machine works fine til the memory in use goes above 60pc , then it starts to slow down , yes i mean videos buffering , typing emails becomes a crawl, machine slow to respond to mouse click etc

thats why i was thinking of getting another 16gb from dell , cost about 300e so would want to work if i do go ahead with that

welshprince - dont know if has xcpansion slot for dedicated graphics card, though i t already had dedicated graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What program keeps eating all your memory? If you kill that everything should go back to normal.

i have a lot of tabs open on opera/chrome as im transferring stuff into excel, sometimes i might have 10 tabs open and its saying thats using 50 percent of memory, i didnt think it would be anywhere near that figure hence why i am considering getting more memory

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Woah now, is €300 for 16gb ram not twice the market value?

OP have you tried a less memory hogging browser, like Firefox?

Are you only experiencing the slowdown when there's multiple tabs open?

i dont know, just checked dell and it was around that price, would ones bought elsewhere fit my specific machine,

it seems to be fine when i only have few browsers open today anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Chrome is a notorious memory hog.
    As someone said try the latest Firefox and see if you run into the same issues.
    Also post an image of your system specs up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Might be worth checking in Chrome's own task manager to see exactly which tabs are leaking memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you running multiple copies of browsers, by any chance?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Are you the only user of the pc?? What im getting at, is another user account might be logged at the same time as yours..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

k101 wrote: »
    no not the base model, it was the middle one of the 3, think i might need to get another 16gb of ram

Does system properties show you have all the ram its supposed to have?
    From the picture posted earlier, it looks easy enough to defluff the cooling radiator
    Using one of the cpu temp monitors, I'd also check the CPU multiplier is not getting throttled down

Advertisement