Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikvision

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

eadt14 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I'm having the same issue with my setup, can anyone talk me through opening a port. It's a Vodafone router.

Thanks
    See here http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/vodafone-hg658c-windows-7/configuration/settings/set-up-port-forwarding

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi guys,
    I'm having the same issue with my setup, can anyone talk me through opening a port. It's a Vodafone router.

Thanks

How old is your system? It's easy to set up the cloud and you don't need to go near the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 eadt14

How old is your system? It's easy to set up the cloud and you don't need to go near the router.

Hi Fred,
    I only have it installed a couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I would have thought the same thing, are most new systems not p2p now, no static IP needed or port forwarding? Download app, scan code, Bob's your uncle...?

Hi Fred,
    I only have it installed a couple of weeks

Download an app called ezviz and set up a free account. Then enable the cloud from the network settings on the dvr. From the ezviz app add your dvr and bobs your uncle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Hi guys,

Thanks

Turn off DCHP on the DVR
    Give your DVR an ip address
    Set the DDNS as googles: Primary 8.8.8.8 Secondary: 8.8.4.4

Go to Forwarding
    Then Port Mapping
    Name the rule
    Add the port you want, lets say you choose keep its default at 80
    Add the DVRs ip address which you gave on the DVR itself. Keeping it high in the ip range keeps it away from possible conflict. So just say 192.168.1.200
    Add gateway if it asks (Routers IP address)
    Save and do all of that again for the other two ports. 8000 and 554
    Log out

Add the IVMS 4500 app to your phone/tablet.

Go to whatsmyip.com and get your external ip address.

Setting up the app is straight forward.

When you open the app select Ireland as the region
    On the top right is like 3 lines indicating there is menu, select that
    Add new device
    Name the device
    Select the IP Domain option
    Add the Web Port (for instance 80)
    Put in your DVRs username and password
    Then select Start Live View

You should then have live view if you were successful.

Using HIKvisions own set up imo is not as secure as using your own settings hence why i always install DVRs/NVRs using the IP Domain method.

You should always assume once any CCTV is connect to the internet that it's easily accessible if someone wanted too. These are chinese made and owned by the Chinese government so you can imagine what could potentially be going on behind the scenes.

I would have thought the same thing, are most new systems not p2p now, no static IP needed or port forwarding? Download app, scan code, Bob's your uncle...?

Its more secure using your own settings (providing you change the defaults to anything which is networked) imo any installer doing it via the scan code is lazy. As for someone using the scan code and who may not know how to set it up via the router well that is fair enough but id urge them to take the time to do it by the router method.

You should always assume once any CCTV is connect to the internet that it's easily accessible if someone wanted too. These are chinese made and owned by the Chinese government so you can imagine what could potentially be going on behind the scenes.

Any device connected to the internet is at risk but at less risk if they are set up to make it harder for anyone to attempt access. Hikvision have had known attacks on its systems because people are using the default passwords and using the easy method to remote view their devices.

So yeah blame the Chinese :D the Americans, Brits, Russians, North Koreans have been at that lark for years. To take the lazy way out just because of that view is ridiculous to be fair. No matter where we are or what we do there is potential for your data to be accessed so lets make it harder by avoiding the obvious back doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

If the Chinese government are spying on my cows in the shed through the çameras they have little else to be doing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

The more ports you open, the more you are exposed. You do not need to open ports for http in order to use the app. You should be able to get away with using the app by opening the server port only.

In my opinion, it's no longer a closed circuit once you connect the camera to the internet anyway.

There will always be ways to circumvent the 99.9% of security systems, that is a matter of life. If you try hard enough you will find a way. Exposing yourself by opening ports to the vulgaris of the internet is allowing others to attempt to authenticate against your security system. If you locked this down to specific IPs, e.g. your works IP, and only forwarded ports for those IPs, then your risk of being compromised is somewhat reduced.

Updating your firmware on your devices, using strong passwords and being aware of how you could be compromised is all part of the puzzle.

Of course if you think someone who has compromised your NVR/DVR to look at cows isn't a problem, it might be if that box sits on the same network as the rest of your devices. As that box is behind the main gateway firewall, the rest of your devices on the same network are now exposed.

It's always good to check your equipment is functioning, backup regularly if needs be, segment your network and have a tin foil hat.

But seriously, opening ports always has risks. If you can't afford that chance or risk, disconnect the box from the network. Most, including me, are willing to sacrifice some security for convenience. That's how it is, even if the Chinese government want to use machine learning algorithms on cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Interesting posts from the last few users and lots of good tips. I open just the specific ports for the cameras. I don't open a wide range of ports, just the required ports to for each specific cameras. Strong passwords on the admin accounts and set up a seperate account to access the camera for the app, so that they can only view the feed and not get into the admin centre. I am in control of the settings rather than this P2P set up

I have also used long ranger transmitters to send signal from location A to Location B. I use TPLink CPE210 and make sure only the AP and client can only connect to each other over the mac address.

As Alta Stare mentioned, changing the defaults is very important and where possible restrict access to just specific devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

alta stare wrote: »
    Turn off DCHP on the DVR

Go to Forwarding
    Then Port Mapping
    Name the rule
    Add the DVRs ip address which you gave on the DVR itself. Keeping it high in the ip range keeps it away from possible conflict. So just say 192.168.1.200
    Log out

Add new device
    Name the device

Using HIKvisions own set up imo is not as secure as using your own settings hence why i always install DVRs/NVRs using the IP Domain method.

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same except i have a virgin media router. When i log into the router, i see no port forwarding option.

Also i managed to set up remote viewing on iVMS 4500 using the 'online device ' method but i figured i can only view dvr if it is connected to same network only (which is no use)

Another question, why is playback slow on iVMS 4500 e.g to view 1 second of footag it take 4 seconds. I have 360mbps download and 36mbps upload speeds.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same except i have a virgin media router. When i log into the router, i see no port forwarding option.

Also i managed to set up remote viewing on iVMS 4500 using the 'online device ' method but i figured i can only view dvr if it is connected to same network only (which is no use)

Another question, why is playback slow on iVMS 4500 e.g to view 1 second of footag it take 4 seconds. I have 360mbps download and 36mbps upload speeds.

Thanks

Your Internet is IPV6 which doesn't have port forwarding. You can either set it up via the cloud or ask VM to change the configuration of your modem to IPV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Turn off DCHP on the DVR

Go to Forwarding
    Then Port Mapping
    Name the rule
    Log out

Add new device
    Name the device

Re: Your first instruction, it should be mentioned that the fixed IP you give your DVR should be outside the scope (range) of the DHCP setting in your router, or it might stop working later on when your router issues a duplicate IP.

SB

Your Internet is IPV6 which doesn't have port forwarding. You can either set it up via the cloud or ask VM to change the configuration of your modem to IPV4.

Thats not accurate at all. Iv port forwarded on a VM router before.

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Re: Your first instruction, it should be mentioned that the fixed IP you give your DVR should be outside the scope (range) of the DHCP setting in your router, or it might stop working later on when your router issues a duplicate IP.

SB

That is why i said go high in the range as it very unlikely for that to happen. Plus if anyone wanted to ensure no issues then they could just reserve the ip they want.

Hi,

Thanks

What router have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

That is why i said go high in the range as it very unlikely for that to happen. Plus if anyone wanted to ensure no issues then they could just reserve the ip they want.

Yes as you say very unlikely to happen, but still could happen I have seen many routers that go upto 250 by default, so make sure its outside the scope then it will never happen, much better.

Not all routers allow you to reserve address.

Thats not accurate at all. Iv port forwarded on a VM router before.

Reread my post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement