Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI 1.4a and 4k 60fps

• 17-12-2017 5:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased a LG 4k TV. Just having some compatibility issues with my system and i was wondering if you know of anything to resolve. An AV processor or similar may work.

Problem is with my amp (Anthem MRX510). It has HDMI 1.4a port which doesnt support 2160p at 60fps. I can get around that by feeding HDMI to my TV and looping the audio back to the amp. Problem with that is the lossless formats are not supported by SPDIF or HDMI ARC.

Basically what i need is something that can split the HDMI into video (with or without audio) and audio into a format that my amp will accept that supports DTS HD etc. I have seen some audio extractors on ebay but i am concerned about their impact on sound and video.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

stay away from the cheap options on ebay.

the only reliable method i know about is the hd Fury

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

not cheap, but it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

mossym wrote: »
    stay away from the cheap options on ebay.

the only reliable method i know about is the hd Fury

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

not cheap, but it works

Cheers, I'll give it s go! Maybe be expensive, but cheaper than new receiver!

one for sale here if it helps

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hd-fury-linker.2140959/

not mine by the way, and i;ve no connection to the seller, just spotted it this morning

one for sale here if it helps

https://www.avforums.com/threads/hd-fury-linker.2140959/

not mine by the way, and i;ve no connection to the seller, just spotted it this morning

Ordered of Amazon, easier returns if it does not work out!

let me know how you get on. i had been thinking of getting one as i was sending 4 sources to both 4k tv and 1080p projector, but upgraded the proj so no need now, but still interested to see how it works

• Advertisement

let me know how you get on. i had been thinking of getting one as i was sending 4 sources to both 4k tv and 1080p projector, but upgraded the proj so no need now, but still interested to see how it works

Will do, if I don't, bump here, I'm still subscribed to the thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

OP you never mentioned your source, would it perhaps have an optical audio output you could route to your Amp and avoid the Fury, the less interventions along the chain the better your audio and video will be....IMHO

slave1 wrote: »
    OP you never mentioned your source, would it perhaps have an optical audio output you could route to your Amp and avoid the Fury, the less interventions along the chain the better your audio and video will be....IMHO

That was my original workaround. However SPDIF does not support lossless audio such as DTS-HD etc. All 4K movies use lossless. Nor does it support 7.1

Yup, no hd audio on optical.

Plus, you can put as many interventions in the chain as you like and it won't make the audio or video any worse unless you decide/process in one of the steps.with multiple steps It's hdcp/edid handshaking you need to worry about which could result in no video, but one the uses for the fury was edid management

Yup, no hd audio on optical.

Plus, you can put as many interventions in the chain as you like and it won't make the audio or video any worse unless you decide/process in one of the steps.with multiple steps It's hdcp/edid handshaking you need to worry about which could result in no video, but one the uses for the fury was edid management

Noise can be an issue if you add too much in surely?

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    Noise can be an issue if you add too much in surely?

It's a digital signal sent across differential tmds lines. You cannot add noise, the signal gets though as it was sent or it doesnt make it, resulting in either sparklies or no picture. You won't get a worse video.

It's nothing like spliiting old analog or video signals where you weakened the signal at every split.

It's a digital signal sent across differential tmds lines. You cannot add noise, the signal gets though as it was sent or it doesnt make it, resulting in either sparklies or no picture. You won't get a worse video.

It's nothing like spliiting old analog or video signals where you weakened the signal at every split.

Didnt know about the differential element. Interesting!

I bought this along with the fury to see which worked best

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075F6ZSW3/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This works as described although the amp often needs to be rebooted to get sound working.

Fury should be here this week

I never knew optical out does not support 7.1, funny how it does on my HTPC and has done for years...

I never knew optical out does not support 7.1, funny how it does on my HTPC and has done for years...

Hmmm,maybe there is dolby digital 7.1? Certainly not DSTHD anyway

Got the AVR key today. So far so good, no power cycle isssues like the other one

Yep, Dolby Digital 7.1.

This is going to be mute for me soon as I've a new Atmos Receiver just bought and waiting until the kids go back to school to take down the ceiling and fit 4 new speakers for 5.1.4 and new 10m HDMI cable for 4k/HDR to projector.
    Am ditching 7.1 as it adds little over 5.1 in my room anyhow...

if going 4k cable over 10m you need to look at ruipro or the other hybrid fibre cables. currently messing around with cables in a similar setup and even at 8m copper cables can't cut it.

depends what projector you are going for though, the optima/most of hte other dlps can't take a full 18gbps HDMI signal so are less fussy with cables.

I’ve got a Ruipro waiting, looks cool and a lot less bulky than traditional HDMI. I won’t be upgrading my projector just yet, just replacing the HDMI cable to future proof as I’ll have the ceiling down for the 4 Atmos speakers, Monitor Audios

Oh, and due to rainbow effect it will be LCD projector, most likely an end of line Sony 4k.

Mossym, look up the Ruipro on Amazon US, you don’t pay state tax and the shipping from China is $21, no C&E either as they declare value under the limit. Mine got to me in a week from order...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Yep, Dolby Digital 7.1.

This is going to be mute for me soon as I've a new Atmos Receiver just bought and waiting until the kids go back to school to take down the ceiling and fit 4 new speakers for 5.1.4 and new 10m HDMI cable for 4k/HDR to projector.
    Am ditching 7.1 as it adds little over 5.1 in my room anyhow...

Yes, but lossless like dts, dolby true hd, etc need hdmi

• Advertisement

Avr key works as advertised. Nvidia shield as source passing lossless audio to my 1.4b receiver and video to the TV using version 2.0

The very odd time I have to quit spmc to get audio, although that's most likely software

good stuff, glad you got sorted

Advertisement