Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Vaulue

Options
  • 17-12-2017 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I've just been offered a business for sale. I'm just wondering is there a formula for vauluing a business?
    he is looking for a multiple of the turnover, I'd be more comfortable with a multiple of the profit?
    I know commercial property is a very simple formula. 10 times the rent plus a bit.
    I once sold a business and I got 4 times the profit but it wasn't very profitable, but this business is well established and profitable.
    I want to have some clue before I meet him next week.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

pay a few hundred to get professional help , you make your money(savings) when you buy.

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity ,so stick to a value that is affordable.

lastly, and nothing personal , but why are they offering it to you ?
    has it been hawked around their industry already, and no existing operator wants to touch it ?

rgds,
    Sysprog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Get a professional to check EBITDA, the purchase price for a business is usually a multiple of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

don't check EBITDA , and certainly don;t use the word Multiple, I tried to avoid it as the business may not be even worth 10c

What I am trying to get at is that the business may not be worth anywhere close to 100% , never mind a multiple.

Seek professional advice and then low-ball.

for the 2nd time today : You make your money when you buy

hth,
    Sys

other considerations - if they have one or two big customers that account for a big % of the business that potentially makes it riskier as if that's lost the business impact is large.

Advertisement