Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you experience much snobbery in Waterford?

Options
  • 17-12-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I heard a woman in town yesterday,about 55 or so, talking to her friend about her son managing to get mortgage approval for his house, and I quote "and thankfully its on the RIGHT side of town, he is near the hospital, and he has Ardkeen stores to shop in, I was worried he might end up God knows where at the other side of town".

I was angered at shocked at this view. Now, I know there is a certain section in Waterford who think that the city begins in the Park and ends in Dunmore and walk around like their sh!t down stink, you get that in every city but I'm surprised anyone would think that all other areas are the "wrong" part of Waterford, Most of my mates are salt of the earth and from places like Lismore Hillview and inner city and they are the nicest people you could meet.

Does anyone else experience a snobby divide in Waterford in their daily life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I heard a woman in town yesterday,about 55 or so, talking to her friend about her son managing to get mortgage approval for his house, and I quote "and thankfully its on the RIGHT side of town, he is near the hospital, and he has Ardkeen stores to shop in, I was worried he might end up God knows where at the other side of town".

I was angered at shocked at this view. Now, I know there is a certain section in Waterford who think that the city begins in the Park and ends in Dunmore and walk around like their sh!t down stink, you get that in every city but I'm surprised anyone would think that all other areas are the "wrong" part of Waterford, Most of my mates are salt of the earth and from places like Lismore Hillview and inner city and they are the nicest people you could meet.

Does anyone else experience a snobby divide in Waterford in their daily life?

You get that in every town. Narrow-minded people are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There is no question people view parts of town as being on the "wrong side of the tracks" I do myself and I do so because of where I live - it's literally on the right side of a main artery. One side is not perfect but is pretty peaceful and civilized the other is less so (though the squad car incidents over there are notably fewer than a few years back when there was spillover from a feud taking place). Whats the difference? One side is and had always been private owned homes the other is a run of corpo built estates though I imagine most of the properties are now in private ownership.

You only need to read this forum when people ask about places to live that posters are quick to suggest A rather than B based on reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

I heard of a woman who refused to shop in Kilbarry when it changed from Superquinn to SuperValu. She told them they had lost a valuable customer and she would now be doing all of her grocery shopping in Ardkeen Stores.

That's Kingsmeadow really (certainly not Kilbarry which is where Aldi is) which is surely fit for that customer! :)

The effect of a name is important - Supervalu is officially Kilbarry yet Mr Price across the road is officially in Kingsmeadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps she was just happy that he got a house near her. Parents can be like that sometimes.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

its not snobbery to want to live in a nice area of town rather than some of the ****holes that are around...
    thats not snobbery ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I'd rather live somewhere on the Dunmore road than say Ballybeg or Larchville,that's not snobbery just common sense really.

That woman was right she should be happy he bought a house out that way hardly being a snob wanting her son to live in a decent area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I remember hearing a woman on the train say she'd never go back to a certain church because the female parishioner asked the priest if her bum looked big in what she was wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I remember hearing a woman on the train say she'd never go back to a certain church because the female parishioner asked the priest if her bum looked big in what she was wearing.

And what was his reply?

To thine own self be true

Did she look like this woman

2501836D00000578-0-image-a-15_1422115216545.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,548 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Most people I know would like there kids to live in a better area than others.It's not just a class thing but certain areas are safer, better local schools/shops, addresses can effect your employment prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

DRT
    Dunmore Road Trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Who does not want to live somewhere nice???

Its not snobbery in my opinion, wanting the best for your children is normal.

Also, stop listening to other peoples conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

im from the wrong side of town, we dont want riff raff over here, we re having too much fun as it is:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    im from the wrong side of town, we dont want riff raff over here, we re having too much fun as it is:D

"Wrong" is a pure snobby term. Sure where were the people who live on the Dunmore road when the recession hit Waterford hard in and around 2008? Sipping champagne and getting their kids ready for Saint Anne's practice? I do understand the fact that people would want to live in a place with a good reputation but I have an issue with the same people then thinking poorly of all the people who live in an "undesirable" part of Waterford. It really is only a few bad apples who ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

reading the comments, you would swear Dunmore road was D4 or something - i never knew this attitude existed - never thought Waterford was big enough for classed based area distinctions

learn something new ever day i guess

reading the comments, you would swear Dunmore road was D4 or something - i never knew this attitude existed - never thought Waterford was big enough for classed based area distinctions

A village with two streets will have a good and bad side in the minds of those who live in them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The ironic thing is there are plenty of undesirables in and beyond Dunmore Road but they don't make the press.

You only make the press if you have the cops and/or fire brigade calling or end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sure where were the people who live on the Dunmore road when the recession hit Waterford hard in and around 2008?
    Quite a few might have been in dire straits because of they could not pay the extortionate mortgages for overpriced houses. Some of them might have lost their jobs and found that since they were effectively self-employed that they could not avail of the same social welfare benefits that people who had never worked a day in their lives can access without question. Some probably had to emigrate because this kip of a country was run by inbred morons inheriting the "family" seat, moronic school teachers/TDs with toilet paper Arts degrees and a burning desire not to teach kids who are smarter than them, hick solicitors from one cow towns, crooks and village idiots on tour. But what does all that matter? You heard some woman talking about her son getting a mortgage and you were offended. Sure it is your right to be offended and that matters to you more than all the other stuff going. People are people and you really need to stop stereotyping. There is good and bad everywhere.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I'd nearly rather snobbery than pure ignorance. Was getting on the bus one day where I live out in kilcohan and a woman started shouting at and abusing another woman cause she had hit the buggy off the back of her leg by accident! Really had to bite my tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Never mind this happening on a city level, it use to happen on street level as well. When I was growing up, people who lived at the top end of the street(like me) were considered riff raff, whilst those who lived down at the other end, were the paradigms of goodness (that's what they used to tell themselves anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Oh sure class warfare is rife in the town! Believe me there are a lot of snobs on the Dunmore Rd side of town and its always been that way. Before all the new roads the road out by Ballygunner was colloquially known as "millionaires row". It's pretty petty and narrow minded to stereotype an area as good/bad or poor/rich based on the inflated ego's of those living in the area. I was born and brought up in the top of the town area (Near Hillview/Cleaboy Rd) and I'd have to agree that the people up that end of the town are the salt of the earth and some of the friendliest you will find. There's none of the notions that exist on the Dunmore Rd/Grange "Pork" vicinity. In essence its all based on preconceived ideas and completely false. The same people are happy to change their car annually just so as to be seen to do so. Similarly, the need to join a golf club or a tennis club which are hotbed's of this type of people. Watch the Simpsons episode "Scenes from a Class Struggle in Springfield" [ep 14 Season 7] - it illustrates this type of situation perfectly. I'll leave the last word to Homer.... "You kids should thank your mother. Now that she's a better person, we can see how awful we really are" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Never mind this happening on a city level, it use to happen on street level as well. When I was growing up, people who lived at the top end of the street(like me) were considered riff raff, whilst those who lived down at the other end, were the paradigms of goodness (that's what they used to tell themselves anyways).

This is exactly it. Some people feel the need to think they are better than others. Be it the area they live in, buying a second-hand BMW or whatever they will always find something that they think elevates them above others. It is just a sad delusion of superiority.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Oh sure class warfare is rife in the town! Believe me there are a lot of snobs on the Dunmore Rd side of town and its always been that way. Before all the new roads the road out by Ballygunner was colloquially known as "millionaires row". It's pretty petty and narrow minded to stereotype an area as good/bad or poor/rich based on the inflated ego's of those living in the area. I was born and brought up in the top of the town area (Near Hillview/Cleaboy Rd) and I'd have to agree that the people up that end of the town are the salt of the earth and some of the friendliest you will find. There's none of the notions that exist on the Dunmore Rd/Grange "Pork" vicinity. In essence its all based on preconceived ideas and completely false. The same people are happy to change their car annually just so as to be seen to do so. Similarly, the need to join a golf club or a tennis club which are hotbed's of this type of people. Watch the Simpsons episode "Scenes from a Class Struggle in Springfield" [ep 14 Season 7] - it illustrates this type of situation perfectly. I'll leave the last word to Homer.... "You kids should thank your mother. Now that she's a better person, we can see how awful we really are" :)

If I came from what was perceived to be the "wrong" end of town, I can see why some people from there might be a little resentful of those who come from the "right" side of town and how some of them look down on me. However, those from the "wrong" end of town need to be careful about judging others too. What I've bolded - it's little bit of a simplification of things. All of the people in the "top of town" are salt of the earth while people on the Dunmore road have notions? There is such a thing as reverse snobbery you know. It's not quite as bad as normal snobbery perhaps. Normal snobbery could cost people jobs because they've got the wrong address but people from the "right" address won't suffer in that kind of way. However, it's not a good thing to prejudge people as having notions or not being as friendly just because they have a "nice" address or dismiss them as being "posh" etc.

Btw, I'm not saying that you are making those judgements day to day. What I think you mean is that the people from the "top of the town" are decent people. You probably don't mean to slag off people from the Dunmore road simply based on where they're from etc but there are some people who do that. You'll meet "salt of the earth" and not so "salt of the earth" wherever you go. We'd all be better off forgetting about the address if we can(and probably the accent too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Not exactly the same but I remember when we moved from town over to Ferrybank and almost everyone we told were either appalled, or acted like we were moving to another continent.:D

Asmodean wrote: »
    Not exactly the same but I remember when we moved from town over to Ferrybank and almost everyone we told were either appalled, or acted like we were moving to another continent.:D

Im looking at buying over in Ferrybank next year possibly. The location is grand and you get much more bang for your buck over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Parts of Viewmount have a male unemployment rate of 21%, parts of Larchville have a rate of 25%. Not much in it. Of course I've picked some extremes. See the Deprivation indices by Pobal (https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html) and have your eyes opened - especially comparing Waterford with any other city in the country and you'll find most Waterford people have a lot in common i.e. we are all getting shat on. But you all knew that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Social delusion is right ! Have a friend who thinks just because someone drives a BMW means they must be 'rich' or because someone owns their own business they must be a 'millionaire' you meet all kinds of people everywhere and simply cannot tell the status /occupation/ "class" if there is one, of somebody by these factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement