Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time Skiing - any advice ?

• 17-12-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

We are going Skiing in January. Husband & I & 2 Kids aged 11 & 9. Husband has been skiing before a few times but not for 15+ years. Neither I nor Kids have been at all.

We are going to Italy on an all-Inclusive package which we thought would be easier for the first time.

I am a bit nervous. Husband and Kids are fit but I am not as fit as I should/would like to be.

Any advice on what essentials to bring and what to expect from a total beginer's point of view.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are going Skiing in January. Husband & I & 2 Kids aged 11 & 9. Husband has been skiing before a few times but not for 15+ years. Neither I nor Kids have been at all.

We are going to Italy on an all-Inclusive package which we thought would be easier for the first time.

I am a bit nervous. Husband and Kids are fit but I am not as fit as I should/would like to be.

Any advice on what essentials to bring and what to expect from a total beginer's point of view.

Thanks in advance.

First time i went skiing with my wife i drilled into her head how important socks are. You'll see loads in sorts direct and the likes for little money, they aint worth it. Good socks are as vital as good fitting boots.
    you want something with a good shape, a good fit and good moisture wicking.
    You're feet are going to hurt so its important to look after them.
    Snow and Rock always have loads discounted, about €12 a pair will do, sounds mad expensive(actually very cheap for whats on the market) but well worth it. Even buy two pairs each and was them in the hotel sink in the evening and rotate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Sun glasses...with the glare of the sun on the snow will blind you, make sure you all have sunglasses. You can get a sun tan from it too, believe it or not lol Enjoy your trip and try not to stress too much, you'll have a wonderful time :)

if you've not dressed everybody yet check out https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/ski/ski-packages/
    my wife is using one of these bundles 4 years and never had an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

Dont bring ski boots or ski's...you can rent them when you get there. You can also get ski lessons out there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Don't eat any yellow snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Give yourself plenty of time the first morning, I'd be up by no later than 7.30.
    Ski goggles offer better protection against the cold/sunburn than sunglasses. It's exposed skin that really gets it, so a neck warmer that you can pull up over your chin is handy when it's minus ten and howling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Thanks in advance.

Don't worry too much about your fitness level, that really only becomes a factor when you progress. You'll be mostly on green/blue slopes this trip, not a massive amount of effort is required on them.

Once you get better it will make a major difference though.

If any of you plan on snowboarding, protective gear would be very important. Wrist guards, knee pads, padding for your ass etc. Wear helmets regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

Bring spare gloves for the kids .. or at least make sure you stick all the gear on a radiator when you get back to the accommodation every night.

I went last year with and 11 and 9 year old .. can be a bit stressful at times!! especially getting the boots on in the morning.

Make sure their instructor speaks English
    Look for Ski-Hire places near the bottom of the slopes where you can store your skis and boots overnight at the end of the day, I'm sure your Ski-Hire is included .. it wasn't obvious to us the first year we went that we could do that, it made it so much easier than haven't to lug them back to the accommodation each day, that all depends on how close you are to the slopes.

my two loved the skiing and had such a great time, we went to Chamonix and it isn't really the best place for kids

my wife hurt her leg just before we went last year .. she could hardly walk for the week .. so that didn't help much!

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

On the advice on sunglasses, go for goggles, sunglasses can fog up badly.

Other than that i’d highly recommend lessons before you go. The more the better, these are investiment in your holiday, it could be the difference between it being ok and it being the best holiday you’ve ever had.
    Skiing is less work and thought and more enjoying yourself the better you get

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

ski specific gloves are a must .. you will fall its gonna happen.. and when you do you'll try and stop yourself by grabbing the snow.. and in wet gloves or no gloves .. that hurts. so buy proper ski gloves .. worth there weight in gold ... and if you lose one .. check the lost in found section at the base of every ski lift ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

stecleary wrote: »
    First time i went skiing with my wife i drilled into her head how important socks are. You'll see loads in sorts direct and the likes for little money, they aint worth it. Good socks are as vital as good fitting boots.
    you want something with a good shape, a good fit and good moisture wicking.
    You're feet are going to hurt so its important to look after them.
    Snow and Rock always have loads discounted, about €12 a pair will do, sounds mad expensive(actually very cheap for whats on the market) but well worth it. Even buy two pairs each and was them in the hotel sink in the evening and rotate them.

Socks! Hadn't given them much thought but will get some decent ones now - Thanks.

Thanks to all for the replies.

We have Ski Gloves but maybe I should bring 2 Pairs each ? In case of loss.

Also have Ski Goggles and neck warmer things.
    And Suncream.

Need to get decent Socks !

How many sets of Base Layers each do we need ? We have 2 Pairs each.

The Package includes Boots, Skis etc

Unfortunately we won't have time for lessons before we go.

Starting to feel more excited now !

base layers is gonna be a personal thing, can you put up with wearing a smelly top for 6/7 hrs a day? I can, so i bring 3 compression tops for a week, get two days out of one, shower and change straight after skiing, if not bring one for every day.

stecleary wrote: »
    base layers is gonna be a personal thing, can you put up with wearing a smelly top for 6/7 hrs a day? I can, so i bring 3 compression tops for a week, get two days out of one, shower and change straight after skiing, if not bring one for every day.

Will get another pair each so will have 3 Pairs each then. Don't really want to have to buy / bring 6 pairs each as who knows if we will go Skiing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

if you get merino base layers you'll get more than a couple of day out of a top as they don't hold the smell like the under armour. I usually bring two for a week.

Same for socks, I get 2/3 days out of each pair.

Will get another pair each so will have 3 Pairs each then. Don't really want to have to buy / bring 6 pairs each as who knows if we will go Skiing again.

Just bring a small container of washing powder/liquid if you're stuck for space, hotels in ski resorts are very warm, your stuff will dry overnight.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    if you get merino base layers you'll get more than a couple of day out of a top as they don't hold the smell like the under armour. I usually bring two for a week.

Same for socks, I get 2/3 days out of each pair.

I gave up buying snowboarding socks a long time ago, I just wear regular ones, snowboard boots are so comfortable I find I don't need them. So I put on a new pair every evening, then wear them on the board the next day. I have my packing fine tuned at this stage, there tends to be space to spare in my bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

About the only bit of advice I can offer, make sure ya get a room with a balcony, the perfect freezer for a crate of beer :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kal7

Your quads will be sore, if not very strong. It is a new activity.

My advice, stretch quads, hamstrings and calf upper and lower, this should lessen pain and reduce likelyhood of a strain.

Do some squats to prepare legs, maybe 15 three times per week for couple of weeks before you go. If you have time build up from there to say 40x Reps. (if you do them without weights, and not to low, say dip by 15-20 cm only, this shouldn't be too much on knees)

Many instructors I know do 50 squat reps per day every day, even through season to keep up strength. I often do this and have no aches in legs now. I do 3 weeks before trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wrist loops on the gloves.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

You are going to spend a lot of time picking yourself up after falling down. It’s part of the fun. If you can manage what has already been suggested about doing some exercise before you go, it’s really helpful. Otherwise, ibuprofen helps too! Sun block, lip balm, a small backpack to carry a little water, tissues and the clothing you will keep taking off because you get so hot as you work quite hard. I bring little boxes of raisins for a quick energy boost. Goggles rather than sunglasses. Mittens rather than finger gloves. Some of those ‘hot pockets’ you can put into them if the weather is particularly cold. You can get a type of thermal hat thing that fits under your helmet and makes it warmer and more comfortable. A good sports bra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I second the recommendation for merino wool thermal layer(s)... they really don't get whiffy no matter how much you wear them!! No idea what magic is involved, but magic they are.

How much thermals you need really depends on the weather (sorry if that comes across as stating the bleeding obvious!). I got sunstroke my first time skiing, there were (local) people skiing in legs and singlets it was so hot! Do not underestimate the strength of sun just because it's cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Don't eat any yellow snow

Imbecilic advice......totally juvenile stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

From my beginner days, I would say the killer was the walk to the learner slope. Check out ski busses (will be inclusive in your ski pass) or if the ski school will collect you. If it’s more than half a km then you’ll be knackered before you even start.

Socks for a beginner, not so important. Boots, make sure they are not too big or loose. Skis should be chest height, max to your chin. Shorter are easier when you are learning.

Most of all, have fun !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Tips
    layers of clothes, ie not one or two thick layer
    as you learn you might get too warm, falling, struggling with tow lifts etc
    Layers means you can temp regulate

Sun cream

helmet

avoid alcohol at lunchtime

Invest in a ski locker hire , usually very cheap
    leave your poles, skis, boot there overnight, walk to locker in comfy runners/ boots
    usually ski hire places will have these, or sometimes situated at top of gondola

if your ski boots hurt, there is something wrong, ask instructor to check your boots are not too loose or tight
    or have they checked in ski hire shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

cormee wrote: »
    Just bring a small container of washing powder/liquid if you're stuck for space, hotels in ski resorts are very warm, your stuff will dry overnight.

Yeah we do this. If you're in Austria, the local pharmacy but not a pharmacy place will have mini tubes of handwash. Base layers dry in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Bring a bottle of water - essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

Bring a bottle of water - essential!

Sound advice. Mods, should this thread or something similar be a sticky?

Do a few lessons in Kilternan. Your time out there is expensive so learn the basics before you head over. Once you get the hang of it by the end you'll wish you spent less time getting up to speed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement