Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purple and black cables.

Options
  • 17-12-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys.

My daughter got a hoverboard for her birthday. It had a 2 prong plug (European style (?). One of the prongs snapped yesterday. I cut the plug off and there are 2 wires. A black one and a purple one. Which is the live one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hi guys.

My daughter got a hoverboard for her birthday. It had a 2 prong plug (European style (?). One of the prongs snapped yesterday. I cut the plug off and there are 2 wires. A black one and a purple one. Which is the live one?

Thanks in advance.

It doesnt really matter. The 2 prong plug could be plugged into its european socket both ways anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bruthal wrote: »
    It doesnt really matter. The 2 prong plug could be plugged into its european socket both ways anyway.

Thanks very much bruthal. Much appreciated by a happy again 10 year old!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

While it's true that the plugs aren't polarised, it's bizarre that an appliance sold in the EU has a non EU standards compliant cable.

Also the pins snapping off a CEE 7 plug is unusual, if it's built properly.

It's fairly indicative of something being not up to scratch and there's been a huge issue with hoverboards over there last couple of years.

Be very careful and check around online for ban / recall notices.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/product-safety/hoverboards/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not to hamper your daughters fun, but sounds like this is a Asian built item and there were many of these itn the last few years that were a fire hazard.

Yours may be fine but be wary of leaving it charging unsupervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Steve wrote: »
    Not to hamper your daughters fun, but sounds like this is a Asian built item and there were many of these itn the last few years that were a fire hazard.

Yours may be fine but be wary of leaving it charging unsupervised.

It never is!! Charging only allowed when we are in the living room and always plugged out at night. Seller claims they are genuine Samsung batteries in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Seller can claim whatever, I'd be skeptical . Stay safe and have a good holiday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Hopefully not from the same stock as the genuine Samsung batteries that were in that Galaxy Note they had to recall earlier in the year.

Advertisement