Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portmarnock and flight path

Options
  • 17-12-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Looking for feedback from people living in the area please. Do you find flight noise very disruptive in portmarnock? I've been to the area a few times and didn't find it too bad but obviously these were just visits!
    We're looking at houses in the area but the new runway flight path would be a concern. Our current house in under the diverted flight path and only notice it the odd time but some flights seem particularly loud!
    The area seems lovely but I'm concerned about quality of life and future resale value when the second runway cranks up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ladygoodman

I barely notice it, but living here my whole life so maybe I'm used to it!

With regards to your other points, it is a lovely area and would doubt you'd have any issues with resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Portmarnock is slightly north of the current flightpath for the main runway. When the northern runway opens its centreline will be 1.6km further north, and the associated routes will be further north also (because of the existence of a parallel runway further south, aircraft are very unlikely to turn towards it after departure, instead they will diverge to the north, if that makes sense).

There's a good illustration of the diverging departure routes on pg 29 here: https://issuu.com/north-runway/docs/public_consultation_report_-_flight?e=26674556/44845342

Approaching aircraft are usually near idle power and not nearly as loud.

tl;dr it it will barely be any worse in Portmarnock - especially the southern side - than it is now.

Regardless, living on the west (Airport) side of Malahide, it's barely noticeable. You get the odd heavy or engine test that registers as a faint rumble, but nothing I would ever consider disruption or that has ever had the ability to wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

sdanseo wrote: »
    Portmarnock is slightly north of the current flightpath for the main runway. When the northern runway opens its centreline will be 1.6km further north, and the associated routes will be further north also (because of the existence of a parallel runway further south, aircraft are very unlikely to turn towards it after departure, instead they will diverge to the north, if that makes sense).

There's a good illustration of the diverging departure routes on pg 29 here: https://issuu.com/north-runway/docs/public_consultation_report_-_flight?e=26674556/44845342

Approaching aircraft are usually near idle power and not nearly as loud.

tl;dr it it will barely be any worse in Portmarnock - especially the southern side - than it is now.

Regardless, living on the west (Airport) side of Malahide, it's barely noticeable. You get the odd heavy or engine test that registers as a faint rumble, but nothing I would ever consider disruption or that has ever had the ability to wake me up.

Thanks for the clear explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Thanks for the replies. I was out in Portmarnock today and didn't find it anyway noisy, I suppose it's just an unknown really until the second runway is up and running. The house we are buying is in the north of the village so will definitely be affected I'd say, just hoping as you say it will be negligible.
    Spent some time in malahide castle and found the flight noise there very noticeable in comparison! I suppose it's much closer to the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Where exactly is going to get a blast from the new runway. Yet to read much about any area that is going to get it, which doesn't make sense. I would have assumed Kinsealey towards Northern Cross/Portmarnock must get a big increase in aircraft noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Where exactly is going to get a blast from the new runway. Yet to read much about any area that is going to get it, which doesn't make sense. I would have assumed Kinsealey towards Northern Cross/Portmarnock must get a big increase in aircraft noise.

Have a scan through the doc I linked above. Gives all the information you need.
    annoyedgal wrote: »
    Spent some time in malahide castle and found the flight noise there very noticeable in comparison! I suppose it's much closer to the airport

It's definitely more noticeable out in the open, double glazing means inside though you hear next to nothing.

The one thing I've found even the glazing doesn't help with is Rescue 116, when that's en route to the Estuary for training (almost every day, but during daytime) it goes directly overhead about 500ft and you'll feel it, not to mind hear it. :D

Advertisement