Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house - Final Inspection

Options
  • 17-12-2017 1:28pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Meant to be closing the sale on my house tomorrow.

Got an email from the estate agent asking for a final inspection. Says it standard but it hasn’t been mentioned by my solicitor (and can’t verify as it’s Sunday!).

I’ve said no that they can do what every they want after it closes (was meant to close on the 11th of November and we have been waiting since then!).

Any views on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    Meant to be closing the sale on my house tomorrow.

Got an email from the estate agent asking for a final inspection. Says it standard but it hasn’t been mentioned by my solicitor (and can’t verify as it’s Sunday!).

I’ve said no that they can do what every they want after it closes (was meant to close on the 11th of November and we have been waiting since then!).

Any views on this?

Standard in my book.
    I always recommend it too.

No new items can be highlighted unless significantly different to the contract.

For example, I’ve seen final inspections the day before key hand over (money transfer) where the vendors have dumped the back garden full of items they didn’t want, lockers, beds, rubbish, toys, swings, trampolines etc

I’ve also seen places where the vendor actually swapped out the gas boiler and a number of rads and part of the kitchen.

So yes, I would 100% recommend a final inspection to any buyer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fair enough. Wish he could have explained it like above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

We were the same, no-one mentioned this to us until the day of the sale. Luckily we could accommodate but it could be a pain if you're closing a sale and a purchase on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I did a final inspection... I bought just after storm Ophelia... make sure the house is not damaged....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

We are buying a house that is currently occupied by tenants. They could destroy the place between now and closing, so we definitely want a final inspection before closing. They also have a huge amount of personal belongings and we don't want any of that left behind, including the shed out the back garden. It is surprising that no one mentioned this to you as a vendor, and we've heard about it several times as the buyers.

• Advertisement

Ninja_Go wrote: »
    We are buying a house that is currently occupied by tenants. They could destroy the place between now and closing, so we definitely want a final inspection before closing. They also have a huge amount of personal belongings and we don't want any of that left behind, including the shed out the back garden. It is surprising that no one mentioned this to you as a vendor, and we've heard about it several times as the buyers.

I wouldn’t remove a shed if I was the vendor. I’d expect the send to be emptied but not removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ninja_Go

kceire wrote: »
    I wouldn’t remove a shed if I was the vendor. I’d expect the send to be emptied but not removed.

Yes sorry I did mean the contents not the shed itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Who carries out the final inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

mloc123 wrote: »
    Who carries out the final inspection?[/quote

The estate agent brings the buyers for a final look, that's what happened in my house sale. It's not the norm though based on what my agent said, she said they have every right for a final inspection but a lot of buyers don't request it. I had nightmare buyers, they were constantly onto the agent looking to come by for various reasons, could they take measurements for a kitchen table, could they leave furniture there before the close etc. Was so glad once it was all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

We were due to close the sale of a purchase the day of storm Ophelia ,the sale didn't go through as the sellers solicitor office closed down the day of storm Ophelia ,I remember joking to our solicitor the day of the storm that it's no problem it not going through as it will give me the chance to check the roof is still intact after the storm ( I did actually the next morning before work check the house out ) but Im just thinking now our solicitor should of advised us of the final inspection option,l had never heard of this before now.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Who carries out the final inspection?

Usually the home buyer, unless they pay for the Surveyor to come back.

Advertisement