Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salt and pepper mills

• 17-12-2017 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hey, I'm looking to get a new set for my mam as she seems to go through them like there's no tomorrow. Seems like either the grinder / adjustment part fails or the top stops screwing on properly.
    Want to try get a set that'll last while also not spending a bomb in case it's her misuse that's the issue, any recommendations?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Have a look in TK Maxx they always seem to have them. Peugeot grinders are very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I bought a set of Peugeot grinders as a Christmas gift for someone the year before last. They're expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

I have a Cole & Mason set. Probably bought in Tesco. They have a lifetime guarantee, the pepper grinder broke before on me and they asked I send a photo and they posted me out a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a Peugeot set and find them pretty rubbish. Pepper one only works with smaller than average peppercorns.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OXO Good Grips, they have ceramic plates so don't wear out anything like as quickly as the plastic equivalents. Our are on the go for about 2 years now and still going strong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Stainless-Pepper/dp/B00ED3PG4U/

If buying from Amadon, buy the salt & pepper grinders individually. For some bizarre reason they're £21 each or £200 if you buy the 2 in a set!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a Peugeot set and find them pretty rubbish. Pepper one only works with smaller than average peppercorns.

I agree. They're supposed to be the dog's dangly bits but like you say, they are very fussy about the size of the peppercorns. I buy mine in the local Asian store and they tend to be on the big side.

Personally I buy the supposedly single use ones from Aldi and refill them a few times before replacing them. Not pretty but they work well and they aren't adjustable but default to quite a coarse grind which I prefer anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Ryath

I've been using a set of ikea ceramic ones for several years.
    They're very good I get through a lot of black pepper. Had a few cole and mason ones over the years and these are much better.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/cookware/food-storage-organising/ikea-365-ih%C3%A4rdig-spice-mill-black-art-10152875/

Advertisement