Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I missing something about 'diet' coke?

• 17-12-2017 5:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them too. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

EDIT: Due to an onslaught of comments about what I said towards the working class; my justification lies as follows:

It's mostly the working class that thought water (in this country) was free! Case closed.

And just to tackle back chat from another user:
    Ironically, it's the people who swallow this waffle that are left looking rather dim.
    Ironically it was the working class that swallowed the waffle of Michael Martin about water being free. The subsequent years of deliberation within the Dail can only have cost the country € billions. All thanks to the ignorance of the working class.
    This attitude stems from our political leaders who try to brainwash the public with propaganda that people who are against their policies which are designed to ultimately make the rich even wealthier, are some sort of thick, uneducated, anti-social scroungers.
    No, that's not how I arrived at my conclusion. I take one look at working class folk, smoking and drinking, and it's quite obvious. Secondly, I'm actually implying that there more ignorant, as opposed to un-intelligent.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I'd rather have a normal soft drink with all the diabetes inducing levels of sugar than a horrible diet drink with those awful artificial sweeteners.

I'd have a sparkling water instead ideally.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Sugar bad, no sugar less bad. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Too much sugar in regular coke. A lot of the time I feel terrible after a full coke, so I prefer Coke Zero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Sugar bad, no sugar less bad. Simples.
    Well I guess that's all there is to it. I never liked Ivan Yates anyway. He's too PC, and seems to be kind of a feminist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I was thinking this might be worth discussing but the "working class" being portrayed as the antithesis of "intelligent people" told me what I was dealing with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

"It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them"

Are you implying that there are no intelligent working class people?

I was thinking this might be worth discussing but the "working class" being portrayed as the antithesis of "intelligent people" told me what I was dealing with.
    a new word for me there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think anybody really believes that diet coke is good for them/healthy. They might see it as slightly better than than the alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

go on take the bait did you come down in the last shower

I don't really know what we're talking about, but I knew it was the feminists fault all along.

• Advertisement

a new word for me there!

Oh, I'm convinced the English language is resplendent with words that would be new to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You can never have enough coke to drink. If 'diet' or zero is all that's available then it does fine.

Candie wrote: »
    I don't really know what we're talking about, but I knew it was the feminists fault all along.
    Well this effects both genders.

They might see it as slightly better than than the alternatives.
    But the thing is, that it's 'slightly' worse!

I want them to put more sugar in normal coke..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Coke Zero is where its at, never mind that frothy stuff.

sugarman wrote: »
    Its a funny one, in that most of time and most of the people that find issue with soft drinks have no bother putting away several pints on any weekend.
    And probably vis versa!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its much healther then an alcholic drink.

No its not water but much better then a normal coke. Artifical sweetner is largly unproven as a poison that the urban myths promote.

Where do you get the idea that working class people are not intelligent. Stupid post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump has tested it and having 12 cans of diet coke a day is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

No its not water but much better then a normal coke. Artifical sweetner is largly unproven as a poison that the urban myths promote.

Where do you get the idea that working class people are not intelligent. Stupid post

Artificial sweeteners taste awful.
    If you really want a healthy drink, have water.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There is some conjecture that they may be "no better" than full sugared variations. They are definitely not worse and being just as bad is itself debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭BeerFarts

Is diet coke the new sitting down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

The artificial sweetener, Aspertane, is in all those diet drinks and it's linked to diseases like MS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't want you to be no slave..
    I don't want you to work all day..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I stopped drinking Diet Coke when they reduced the bottle size to 1.75 Litres and switched to Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max as they sell it in two litre bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If working class people were intelligent they wouldn't be working class.

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

I sure as hell don't drink diet Coke to be healthy. I never drink fizzy drinks and on rare occasion will have a diet Coke with my meal if we're out. I just prefer the taste. I'm not keen on full Coke. But I'm under no illusion to it being the healthy option.

Exactly this😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Its a funny one, in that most of time and most of the people that find issue with soft drinks have no bother putting away several pints on any weekend.

Moderation with everything is key.

Hmm no Bias in that username :P

Ah I'm one of those recently stopped drinking minerals, unless on a night out with beers and spirits and all those goodies. Not that I think beer is better than coke but rather I was finding myself drinking minerals everyday where as now its on a treat night. But I'm a barman so not the weekend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Saddest thing are those kind of half spastic obese people knocking back the diet version thinking there the healthiest clowns in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Why is it worse if it has no sugar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Because aspartame is bigger poison than sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The artificial sweetener, Aspertane, is in all those diet drinks and it's linked to diseases like MS.
    Aspartane is ok.
    Aspartame is different.
    "Specifically, the hoax websites allege that aspartame is responsible for multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus, and methanol toxicity, causing "blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, headaches, depression, anxiety, memory loss, birth defects" and death." Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Because aspartame is bigger poison than sugar.

*Citation needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke? I heard Ivan Yates recently talking about how he's given up drink, and how he'd often have a diet coke instead. I didn't think anything of it at first, as it sounds like a normal thing to say.

Eventually though, I realised the irony of it. First of all, sodas aren't very good for you, and secondly, aren't people aware that diet coke is worse than regular coke. It'd be one thing if it were just working class who drank diet cokes, but I often see intelligent people going for them. I just don't understand how people can so easily be the victims of marketing?

wut?

The evidence implies that artificial sweeteners in Diet Coke are linked with low IQ, obesity, involuntary hand movements in the presence of attractive women, an inability to see reason, an urge to worsen inequities, compulsive catchphrase repetition, issues with hair and skin coloring, and constant tv watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

It's the drink of lower class fat wans waddling about in their pyjamas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/What-is-MS/What-Causes-MS/Disproved-theories
    The link is they checked it and found there is no link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It's the drink of lower class fat wans waddling about in their pyjamas

are they known for heading out to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Eat healthy..
    Doner Kebad, Chips and A Diet Coke, shure you'll be grand :rolleyes: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Donald Rumsfeld was involved in its creation. Enough said..

More working class smoke. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'm sure I read in AH recently someone saying that they have never seen a thin person drinking diet coke.

I think they were right.

Some things are too good to be true kid!

A bit of an internet myth there.And it was that Aspartame caused MS-like symptoms.
    Magnuson BA; Burdock GA; Doull J; et al. (2007) in "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies" state...
    Numerous allegations have been made via the Internet and in consumer magazines purporting neurotoxic effects of aspartame leading to neurological or psychiatric symptoms including seizures, headaches, and mood changes....Review of the biochemistry of aspartame has found no evidence that the doses consumed would plausibly lead to neurotoxic effects.

Several comprehensive reviews have failed to find any evidence for aspartame as a cause of any neurological symptoms.

ARE YOU MAD??? WITH ALL THAT FLUORIDE??? :pac:
    He/she didn't say tap water!

A bit of an internet myth there.And it was that Aspartame caused MS-like symptoms.
    Magnuson BA; Burdock GA; Doull J; et al. (2007) in "Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies" state...

Several comprehensive reviews have failed to find any evidence for aspartame as a cause of any neurological symptoms.
    Ah well, I'll continue to err on the safe side!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

You're just weird... :p;)

on topic:
    It has been suggested that drinking something artificially sweet your body releases insulin. Since you didn't ingest any sugar, you have a sugar crash and get hungry and need to eat.
    You will notice that mostly fat people drink diet sodas.

Ah well, I'll continue to err on the save side!

I'm sure you will continue to err.

• Advertisement
Advertisement