Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I missing something about 'diet' coke?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Well this effects both genders.

Here's another new word for you: "affects"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

razorblunt wrote: »
    Diet Coke is not the same as Coke Zero.

I just drink normal coke the odd time.

I thought diet coke and coke zero were the same? Someone told me they made Coke Zero because a lot of men wouldn't drink/ask for Diet Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Diet coke was a product made using the 'new coke' recipe back in the 80s.

New coke failed and classic coca cola was brought back. Diet coke remained though.

Coke zero is a low calorie drink made from the classic coca cola recipe.

Two zero sugar drinks based on two different products.

I'd still say there's truth in that Pepsi Max and Coke Zero were created and marketed for men who wouldn't buy diet Coke/Pepsi.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That could be a reason why they came out but they're not the same stuff as their 'Diet' counterparts.

They would have to make them a little bit different otherwise the lie is too obvious. only messing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I thought diet coke and coke zero were the same? Someone told me they made Coke Zero because a lot of men wouldn't drink/ask for Diet Coke.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Diet coke was a product made using the 'new coke' recipe back in the 80s.

New coke failed and classic coca cola was brought back. Diet coke remained though.

Coke zero is a low calorie drink made from the classic coca cola recipe.

Two zero sugar drinks based on two different products.

I think ye both have a point. Diet coke and coke zero definitely have different recipes, I much prefer the taste of coke zero, though pepsi max is by far my favourite. I also think that the marketing campaign for coke zero was very much aimed at men, since the marketing campaigns for diet coke were very much aimed at women and some men were then embarrassed to be seen buying a diet coke. I mean look at the difference between these ads.

The sexy builder guy for the ladies in the diet coke ad.

The mission impossible spoof for the coke zero ad.

Ye that was my point that they are different but I would imagine the main motive for creating it was to market it for men and not to make a new different drink. They would have had a market for men who wanted low calorie soft drinks but would refuse to buy "diet" at that time.

They couldn't say "hey here's a new drink with zero calories. A new name but exactly the same as diet coke" so they had to make it different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think it correlates better with ignorance!

I live in England right now and we have this thing called Brexit which arose as a result of a rivalry between two Etonians. Come back to me when the working class destroy a whole country like the upper class do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭Hang on Now

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I live in England right now and we have this thing called Brexit which arose as a result of a rivalry between two Etonians. Come back to me when the working class destroy a whole country like the upper class do.
    I thought I addressed the issue of backchat.

Wasn't Brexit more of a result of the older population, rather than the upper class. I'm assuming there were plenty of working class people who thought that the immigrants were taking their jobs.

Upper classes often make it in life, either because they're better in some way, or because their ancestors were better. So even if you're rich a dumb, your parents probably passed down at least some good habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

My drink of choice is water, coffee or tea most of the time except with certain foods. Anything heavier and fattier than grilled fish and I have to drink some wine (sometimes beer) with it. When I don't drink alcohol coke zero is my drink of choice.

I thought I addressed the issue of backchat.

Wasn't Brexit more of a result of the older . population, rather than the upper class. I'm assuming there were plenty of working class people who thought that the immigrants were taking their jobs.

Upper classes often make it in life, either because they're better in some way, or because their ancestors were better. So even if you're rich a dumb, your parents probably passed down at least some good habits.

God I wish that were the case. We have Mogg and Boris chairleading this madness now. I can only hope they're only playing up to the dumb product of social Darwinism thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

steddyeddy wrote: »

I take it you never heard of communist revolutions? The ability to destroy countries it's not limited to one class. It's just that one has more opportunities than the other.

As for upper classes they often make it because they have a lot more opportunities.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I take it you never heard of communist revolutions? The ability to destroy countries it's not limited to one class. It's just that one has more opportunities than the other.

As for upper classes they often make it because they have a lot more opportunities.

Of course! Boris didn't get there on brains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sugarman wrote: »
    ARE YOU MAD??? WITH ALL THAT FLUORIDE??? :pac:

My precious bodily fluids!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »
    That could be a reason why they came out but they're not the same stuff as their 'Diet' counterparts.

They're both brown water with artificial sweeteners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

The main difference is Diet Coke was launched a long time ago and had flavour compromises due to what was available as sugar alternatives at the time. People got to like that soapy dishwater flavour and it sells.

Diet Coke also has a large, predominantly female, following due to the advertising they did objectifying men back in the 80s and 90s. The guy taking his top off at the Diet Coke break. It's also aimed at slimming diets and so on.

Coke Zero is a modern approximation of normal Coke and tastes different to Diet Coke and has a more general audience that followed the Pepsi Max branding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Full fat everything, funny enough anyone who usually buys the low fat or diet stuff is usually a fat obese slob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

flaneur wrote: »
    .... Coke Zero is a modern approximation of normal Coke and tastes different to Diet Coke and has a more general audience that followed the Pepsi Max branding.

Where did you get that info from.... Are there some stats on these market trends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

RasTa wrote: »
    Full fat everything, funny enough anyone who usually buys the low fat or diet stuff is usually a fat obese slob.
    Indeed, over to the leader of the free world.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696?lang=en

Why do people think they're being healthy drinking a diet coke?....

I'd say the major are not under any illusions about drinking any fizzy drink is healthy.

Its more about habit and getting used to a certain taste. The problem is the habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think the OP is one of those people who are facebook/meme qualified health and nutritional experts.

Diet drinks are fine, don't believe in the bullsh*t.

I've diabetes (type II). I've done all the fecking nutritional & diabetic awareness courses which were offered to me.. Long story short, a regular drink is murder for me (luckily I don't have a sweet tooth, never did).

I was advised that I could drink as much diet soda's as I wanted, they're both carb/sugar and calorie free ~ exactly what I need to keep me healthy.

OP leave the facebook/meme qualifications alone... Although I read cannabis oil cures everything, and computer anti-virus software gives laptops autism [/rolls eyes to the heavens].

Probably the main issue with diet drinks is they don't help with the craving for sugar. People have different addictions.

• Advertisement

I think the OP is one of those people who are facebook/meme qualified health and nutritional experts.

Diet drinks are fine, don't believe in the bullsh*t.

I've diabetes (type II). I've done all the fecking nutritional & diabetic awareness courses which were offered to me.. Long story short, a regular drink is murder for me (luckily I don't have a sweet tooth, never did).

I was advised that I could drink as much diet soda's as I wanted, they're both carb/sugar and calorie free ~ exactly what I need to keep me healthy.

OP leave the facebook/meme qualifications alone... Although I read cannabis oil cures everything, and computer anti-virus software gives laptops autism [/rolls eyes to the heavens].

Or you could just drink water like a normal person.

...what does that mean....if you drink anything other than water you're not normal....

beauf wrote: »
    ...what does that mean....if you drink anything other than water you're not normal....

Yup and not drinking as many diet cokes, diet lilt's etc as possible to maintain that active healthy lifestyle.

Diabetes doesn't make me abnormal.. My fondness for midgets in bondage gear does :D

As for your assumption that I don't drink water, I train Judo (and for Judo) on an almost semi-professional level for most of the year ~ including representing the DF in Judo, so I'm well aware of the importance of water/hydration.

beauf wrote: »

Yup and not drinking as many diet cokes, diet lilt's etc as possible to maintain that active healthy lifestyle.

Basically everyone is not normal then. Since most people have tea, coffee, juice, beer, wine etc.

• Advertisement

Diabetes doesn't make me abnormal.. My fondness for midgets in bondage gear does :D

As for your assumption that I don't drink water, I train Judo (and for Judo) on an almost semi-professional level for most of the year ~ including representing the DF in Judo, so I'm well aware of the importance of water/hydration.

Good man, stay off the diet cokes.

Good man, stay off the diet cokes.

Right now I'm full of Hob House 13, and now onto Tyskie :D

I've diabetes (type II).
    I wonder how you got that!!!
    Maybe, but what other health issue to are you awaiting due to this?! Given that you ate you're way into diabetes, it doesn't bode well for your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wonder how you got that!!!
    Maybe, but what other health issue to are you awaiting due to this?! Given that you ate you're way into diabetes, it doesn't bode well for your point.
    You don't 'eat your way into Diabetes'!

Some people have reduces sensitivity to insulin which sometimes can be reversed or intervention may be reduced by diet alone. Some have fewer Beta cells (insulin producers) which were attacked by virus, some have medical conditions which cause low insulin level.

Makikomi definitely didn't eat his way into Diabetes, his fitness levels would put 99% of Boardsies to shame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What you are missing about diet coke is Diet Coca-Cola had the strongest spermicidal effect followed by Classic Coca-Cola, Caffeine-free Coca-Cola and New Coca-Cola.

But
    None of them could decrease sperm motility to less than 70% of control within one hour.

So about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Some people have reduces sensitivity to insulin which sometimes can be reversed or intervention may be reduced by diet alone. Some have fewer Beta cells (insulin producers) which were attacked by virus, some have medical conditions which cause low insulin level.

Makikomi definitely didn't eat his way into Diabetes, his fitness levels would put 99% of Boardsies to shame.
    Most people eat their way into type 2!

Zeke Poor Skyscraper definitely didn't eat his way into Diabetes, his fitness levels would put 99% of Boardsies to shame.

Zeke Poor Skyscraper surely didn't eat his way to diabetes but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Eating sugary foods produces insulin which, among other things, bind to insulin receptors. These receptors can become desensitised overtime and respond less to insulin. Hence diabetes type 2.

Advertisement