Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck Driver Continuously Breaking My Fence

Options
  • 17-12-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

HI, I am hoping someone will have some advice for me on this. I bought a property 2 yrs ago and I met my new neighbour while he was trying to fix my garden fence which he had taken out of it reversing his 40 foot trucks down the laneway beside my property. His attempt at fixing the damage he had done was feeble to say the least...he was hammering the remaining of the broken fence back into the ground and passing it off as "grand" . His son then started driving another 40ft truck and reversing it down the laneway. He too has broken the fence and after several crashes into my fence I now have no fence on the corner of my garden. The man then approached me asking if he could take the whole corner off my garden so he could reverse his truck!!!!! Needless to say, there is absolutely no damage to his own property on the other side of the lane.
    These people do not own the trucks but drive them for two separate companies and park them on their 'farm' which they also rent out to other farmers. I placed a few breeze blocks around the perimeter on the garden only to see he has driven them into the ground taking another 8inches or so off my garden.
    Does this man need a permit from the council for park commercial vehicles on his property? No matter what I do, this ignorant man is going to keep damaging my property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

HI, I am hoping someone will have some advice for me on this. I bought a property 2 yrs ago and I met my new neighbour while he was trying to fix my garden fence which he had taken out of it reversing his 40 foot trucks down the laneway beside my property. His attempt at fixing the damage he had done was feeble to say the least...he was hammering the remaining of the broken fence back into the ground and passing it off as "grand" . His son then started driving another 40ft truck and reversing it down the laneway. He too has broken the fence and after several crashes into my fence I now have no fence on the corner of my garden. The man then approached me asking if he could take the whole corner off my garden so he could reverse his truck!!!!! Needless to say, there is absolutely no damage to his own property on the other side of the lane.
    These people do not own the trucks but drive them for two separate companies and park them on their 'farm' which they also rent out to other farmers. I placed a few breeze blocks around the perimeter on the garden only to see he has driven them into the ground taking another 8inches or so off my garden.
    Does this man need a permit from the council for park commercial vehicles on his property? No matter what I do, this ignorant man is going to keep damaging my property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd do one of two things on the very corner of your property

1) Dig a hole about 3 foot square and about 2 foot deep

Mod
    Such a hole would be a danger to those using the road.

Or

2) Put in a concrete post (with some foundations)

1) would prevent a large truck from crossing over your property (as it would get stuck)

2) would do damage to a truck that hits it

If you go with 1, buy a couple of traffic cones and put them around the hole to mark it well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

You've a decision to make. I'd sell him the corner if he didn't want to keep paying to get the fence mended.
    Place a camera panning that corner and make it obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moggie Mac Mathutha

padser wrote: »
    I'd do one of two things on the very corner of your property

1) Dig a hole about 3 foot square and about 2 foot deep

Or

2) Put in a concrete post (with some foundations)

1) would prevent a large truck from crossing over your property (as it would get stuck)

2) would do damage to a truck that hits it

If you go with 1, buy a couple of traffic cones and put them around the hole to mark it well

Thanks for that Padser. Sounds like a good plan. Thank you for your advice

You've a decision to make. I'd sell him the corner if he didn't want to keep paying to get the fence mended.
    Place a camera panning that corner and make it obvious.

Thanks JimmyMcGill. A camera would be a good ideal alright. I told him he could have the corner of my garden if he paid me 10K. He laughed in my face and told me to F off. I said that amount because he had started complaining about one thing after the other and wanting me to pay for someone to map out the boundaries properly (I already paid €450 for that when I bought the house) but he seems to want more and more every time I meet him. I avoid hime like the plague now but the fence business has started up again. Thanks for your advice though. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I wouldn't go down the hole route. Too much chance of someone falling into it.

I would put a big girder on the corner with diagonal sports. Mount the fence to that.
    You could have it ready to go just to dig the hole and concrete it in. Get someone in with a job or mini digger do dig down about 4 to5 feet down. Put 2 cubic meters of concrete around it. .
    Nothing would move it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Park your car legally and as such in the way?

CCTV is a must and as above put in well grounded posts or a wall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Park your car legally and as such in the way?

CCTV is a must and as above put in well grounded posts or a wall.

Is it really worth a smashed car and months of hassle trying to get money for that?
    Because the neighbor will smash it and he will refuse to pay.
    A sturdy girder is a far better option.

Would it be worth contacting. The trucking company. Don't think they would be happy to hear that their driver is hitting and damaging your property. They even pay to fix you fence

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it really worth a smashed car and months of hassle trying to get money for that?

His company would have to pay out just like they will have to for any property damage.

I would be getting truck photos and insurance details off the windscreen and contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

His company would have to pay out just like they will have to for any property damage.

I would be getting truck photos and insurance details off the windscreen and contact them directly.

This line of approach seems best, contact the insurance company and copy the claim to the company that owns the truck. Put a camera in place as evidence for any future claims.

• Advertisement

This line of approach seems best, contact the insurance company and copy the claim to the company that owns the truck. Put a camera in place as evidence for any future claims.

Yes this is a great idea also. Thank you for your advice Charles Babbage

I will try getting photos of the trucks without trespassing on their property. They are parked well into the back of my property. My mission tomorrow. Thanks punisher5112 for the help

Would it be worth contacting. The trucking company. Don't think they would be happy to hear that their driver is hitting and damaging your property. They even pay to fix you fence

I will get on that tomorrow the_pen_turner. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

As bad as my car is I need it for another while. Sturdy girder it is. Thank you dr.fuzzenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Put down 2 ft square of concrete and put some rebar sticking about 6 inches up out of it when he blows a tyre or two you'll have no problem

Mod
    Foolish and dangerous advice. Pls do not post on Legal Discussion for a month from today

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

lab man wrote: »
    Put down 2 ft square of concrete and put some rebar sticking about 6 inches up out of it when he blows a tyre or two you'll have no problem

Definitely do not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Odelay

What does the planning permission for your house say? Most planning for the last 20-30 years require some hard surface outside the garden wall.
    Might be worth checking it out before installing something that you may have to remove....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

The truck driver doesn't need a council permit to park the truck on his property.

All he needs is the consent of the owner of the vehicle to bring it home with him.

Is it an artic (truck & trailer) or a rigid?

It isn't unheard of for artic drivers to take the tractor unit home while leaving the trailer elsewhere, i have done this myself and on a very rare occasion brought the trailer with me which is more hassle than it's worth.

If he keeps damaging your property with the truck then it is for the haulage company's insurers if that is your preferred method?

The truck driver doesn't need a council permit to park the truck on his property.

All he needs is the consent of the owner of the vehicle to bring it home with him.

Is it an artic (truck & trailer) or a rigid?

It isn't unheard of for artic drivers to take the tractor unit home while leaving the trailer elsewhere, i have done this myself and on a very rare occasion brought the trailer with me which is more hassle than it's worth.

If he keeps damaging your property with the truck then it is for the haulage company's insurers if that is your preferred method?

Hi Cork Truck Driver, 2x truck and trailers reversed down the lane daily. He has knocked the fence down numerous times...even his wife said he is always crashing into the fence. Down the laneway about 20ft he has hit off the fence and the posts have come loose. Disaster. Thanks for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Good to know. Thank you :)

Odelay wrote: »
    What does the planning permission for your house say? Most planning for the last 20-30 years require some hard surface outside the garden wall.
    Might be worth checking it out before installing something that you may have to remove....

As far as I can see the planning permission only allows for fencing not exceeding .8m. It mentions trees and shrubs etc but the fence was there when I purchased the property 2 yrs ago. Something to look into!. Thank you Odelay for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Pain the arse that is, sorry to hear.

I wonder is he deliberately hitting the fence? The facet he brought up buying that corner makes me suspicious. If he keeps hitting it he may hope you'll sell it to him for next to nothing just to be finished with the hassle.

I agree that bringing the company and insurance into play is the best plan.

Good to know. Thank you :)

As Fred said.

The last thing anyone wants is a claim on their insurance, especially a haulage company.

My employer's insurance went up by 25k in 2016 alone compared to the year before for the entire fleet.

The company would have to pay an excess of any claim, in your own case that would be almost certainly enough in itself to get you sorted out.

Hi Cork Truck Driver, 2x truck and trailers reversed down the lane daily. He has knocked the fence down numerous times...even his wife said he is always crashing into the fence. Down the laneway about 20ft he has hit off the fence and the posts have come loose. Disaster. Thanks for your advice.

2 artic's then, Even if he dropped the trailers elsewhere and just brought the unit down the lane that would be better, except of course if it's a fridge unit, i.e a trailer with a fridge fitted to it.

Those trailers cost 80k each.

His wife needs to give him the wooden spoon then :D

The way you have described it is how i imagine it in the attached video :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/mothertruckerr/videos/308276679665794/?hc_ref=ARTB95e_FfPFBOQdwewFPPrILxIdVZIDH09MLoqvFQmI_Xsg6ikkwW5LxEjKLnkY5SY&fref=gs&dti=354024424779020&hc_location=group

2 artic's then, Even if he dropped the trailers elsewhere and just brought the unit down the lane that would be better, except of course if it's a fridge unit, i.e a trailer with a fridge fitted to it.

Those trailers cost 80k each.

His wife needs to give him the wooden spoon then :D

The way you have described it is how i imagine it in the attached video :pac:

https://www.facebook.com/mothertruckerr/videos/308276679665794/?hc_ref=ARTB95e_FfPFBOQdwewFPPrILxIdVZIDH09MLoqvFQmI_Xsg6ikkwW5LxEjKLnkY5SY&fref=gs&dti=354024424779020&hc_location=group

Thats him! An A1 Sharon driver!!! He has taken a good 8 or 9 inches off the edge of my lawn already this week. He brings wood chips to bord na mona power stations. No fridges involved in either truck.

All I can say is thanks for all the advice. I know things could be a lot worse in life and its only a fence but I break my ass working every week to keep this place afloat (as does most people) and could really do without the hassle. And cheers for the video. ;)

Pain the arse that is, sorry to hear.

I wonder is he deliberately hitting the fence? The facet he brought up buying that corner makes me suspicious. If he keeps hitting it he may hope you'll sell it to him for next to nothing just to be finished with the hassle.

I agree that bringing the company and insurance into play is the best plan.

HI Memphis Fresh Cello,
    I thought he was hitting it deliberately myself for a while there. He had a string of things he wanted me to "sort" only to his advantage...He wanted me to have an eircom pole that was serving my house moved but he wasn't going to pay for it to be moved, map out the boundaries and put a fence up (at the rear)....asswipe. He is a peeping Tom to top it all off. Can tell me what I put in the bin!! No joke!!!!

I think the phase 'good fences make good neighbours' is very fitting(and ironic) here.

I think the phase 'good fences make good neighbours' is very fitting(and ironic) here.

you hit the nail on the head there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Do you live down at the end of a cul-de-sac?
    If not ask him about the possibility to drive home the opposite way.
    Perhaps some day you have plans to erect a gorgeously expensive stone wall around your property.

Advertisement