Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

wakka12 wrote: »
    the grandad putting the hand on his shoulder was kind of random too.

Random, :confused: they were building up to that moment for the entire series. It was an emotional pay off, showing the serious of the occasion where the Granddad put away his petty attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Random, :confused: they were building up to that moment for the entire series. It was an emotional pay off, showing the serious of the occasion where the Granddad put away his petty attitude.

Well I kind of thought the grandads jokes were just in-law cliches for humour that would just continue throughout the series rather than development up to something more. As I said I thought the show was more about humour more than character or plot development, which is fine too, but its why I thought it was a bit random

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Well technically there's been nonstop conflict since the 1590s so people being in shock at deaths in Ulster was not just a 1990s thing.
    I don’t know what your point is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

armaghlad wrote: »
    I don’t know what your point is

My point being that the people who grew up in 70s, 80s and 90s aren't the only ones who experienced the northern conflict, I grew up listening to my father ramble on about his day as if they were the first Ulstermen to experience war, yes things like bombs and sirens was a thing unique to the Troubles but the conflict of 1969-1998 was only a part of the conflict, obviously made more famous because of cameras being available. A man who lived in north Ireland in 1921 also could relate to this show, that's what I'm trying to get at.

I remember as a 12 year old I was singing some Wolfe Tones song and my parents scolded me saying "the war was in their time not mine", the song I was singing wasn't even about the 70s, it was about the 1920s. These old people seem to think they have an ownership of the 400 year old northern conflict.

That's all I will say on the matter though as rambling about the troubles isn't something I enjoy doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What a juxtaposition at the end there. The liberty and joy of the girls in union on stage together oblivious to the latest bombing of the Troubles, and the genuine sadness of the family at home watching the news unfolding.

Liked how the father in law even put his hand on Jerry's shoulder, with Jerry himself looking particularly saddened (good acting from Tommy btw).

Powerful, thought-provoking ending, made even better by Changes by The Cranberries. Apt song all things considered

I agree with this, I presume the Cranberries track was chosen long before Dolores died, making it all the more poignant.

The talent show thing seemed a bit out of place to me, but it's a short sitcom. Don't overthink every detail - just go along for the ride.

You could pick gaping holes in every Friends episode if you really wanted, like the grand finale where Monica and Chandler as surrogate parents hadn't been told that there were twins involved.

But why bother - just enjoy the laughs. Looking forward to the next series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thought the reveal of Clare being a lesbian was well done too and I hope that's explored more in Season 2 - h.

I'll bet you do you dirty get you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They're right It was random. It trivialised the troubles the whole series, then that scene out of nowhere at the end.
    How do you think it was building up to it?
    There's barely no continuation between episodes, no story lines or plot that carries over.
    How could anything possibly build up

It didn't fit in at all with the rest of the series. There wasn't a modicum of seriousness until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

eezipc wrote: »
    If you didn't enjoy that episode last night then you must be hard to please. I thought it was the best episode by far. Tears in my eyes at the end. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bar the usual few good lines here & there it wasn't very funny at all. The nun was good too as usual & I like orlas oddness but didnt laugh much during it

What did you think was funny in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I agree with this, I presume the Cranberries track was chosen long before Dolores died, making it all the more poignant.

The talent show thing seemed a bit out of place to me, but it's a short sitcom. Don't overthink every detail - just go along for the ride.

You could pick gaping holes in every Friends episode if you really wanted, like the grand finale where Monica and Chandler as surrogate parents hadn't been told that there were twins involved.

But why bother - just enjoy the laughs. Looking forward to the next series.

Well the talent show thing would be done by schools here at the end of the school year, either a talent show or a play

I watched it and liked it. Great acting and a fantastic soundtrack. Noticed on here that Orla and her mother, Sarah (who I thought was Jennifer McGuire at a first glance) never got much of a mention. I love their spaced out personalities. Both of them don't give a shíte about anything. Excellent actresses. Would be nice to see more of their story in season 2. Do they all live in the same house?

Also, did I miss something? The season finale at the end when the girls are dancing around the stage at the talent contest, Sister Michael looked shook and emotional in her last scene. Did she just hear about the bomb or is she just withered from school performances?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I'm not getting all the fantastic soundtrack comments. The soundtrack is every cliched 90's song. Like they got the 30 best selling songs of the decade and scattered them over the season.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not getting all the fantastic soundtrack comments. The soundtrack is every cliched 90's song. Like they got the 30 best selling songs of the decade and scattered them over the season.

Its a show about teenage girls and boy set in the 90's in Northern Ireland. That was the music at the time. What soundtrack were you expecting?

Its a show about teenage girls and boy set in the 90's in Northern Ireland. That was the music at the time. What soundtrack were you expecting?

Lots if shows don't go for the obvious basic crowd pleasers. I get they're going for wide appeal but I'm just contesting the many posts calling the soundtrack great, it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Also, did I miss something? The season finale at the end when the girls are dancing around the stage at the talent contest, Sister Michael looked shook and emotional in her last scene. Did she just hear about the bomb or is she just withered from school performances?

I think it was just showing her soft side. She saw Orla becoming a laughing stock, and her friends stuck by her. Even with all her cynicism I think she appreciated the girls sticking together. That was my viewing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Lots if shows don't go for the obvious basic crowd pleasers. I get they're going for wide appeal but I'm just contesting the many posts calling the soundtrack great, it's not.

If you pick the top 30 songs of the 90's then by default it's a great sondtrack. You might be over thinking this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think the placing of the songs is very successful too.
    I burst out laughing when a woman's heart played over the credits of one episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Bar the usual few good lines here & there it wasn't very funny at all. The nun was good too as usual & I like orlas oddness but didnt laugh much during it

What did you think was funny in it?

Shoes of the World.
    The girl constantly doing step aerobics. At one stage falling over in the background.
    Calling the English lad a homophobe seconds after calling him gay.
    The nun refusing to stop circulating the newspaper.
    The nun smiling at the end when the gang was dancing.
    The perceived protest over the pink shirts.
    The arrogant walk into school after being made editor.

The ending. I watched it again on Sunday. Tears re emerged at the end.

I found it a solid 6/10. Nothing special but an easy watch and enough minor laughs to keep you interested.

I think it was just showing her soft side. She saw Orla becoming a laughing stock, and her friends stuck by her. Even with all her cynicism I think she appreciated the girls sticking together. That was my viewing of it.

Thanks. Nice way of looking at it.

Still hope to see more of Orla and Sarah in the next season though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

9/10 for me. Best Irish/British sitcom of this decade.

Maybe it's an age and nostalgia thing and the soundtrack was definitely something that reminded me of school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

eezipc wrote: »
    Shoes of the World.
    The girl constantly doing step aerobics. At one stage falling over in the background.
    Calling the English lad a homophobe seconds after calling him gay.

The nun refusing to stop circulating the newspaper.
    The nun smiling at the end when the gang was dancing.
    The perceived protest over the pink shirts.
    The arrogant walk into school after being made editor.

The ending. I watched it again on Sunday. Tears re emerged at the end.

I thought that was brilliant, only now that I think of it did anyone in Derry or even Ireland know what the word "homophobe" was back in 1994.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What a juxtaposition at the end there. The liberty and joy of the girls in union on stage together oblivious to the latest bombing of the Troubles, and the genuine sadness of the family at home watching the news unfolding.

It was so well done. It reminded me a bit of early episodes of The Wonder Years, with everyday, mundane stuff happening against the backdrop of the Vietnam War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought that was brilliant, only now that I think of it did anyone in Derry or even Ireland know what the word "homophobe" was back in 1994.

They called something "xxx-gate" at one stage too. Afair, there was still just watergate at that stage, people hadn't started calling everything something-gate yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They're right It was random. It trivialised the troubles the whole series, then that scene out of nowhere at the end.
    How do you think it was building up to it?
    There's barely no continuation between episodes, no story lines or plot that carries over.
    How could anything possibly build up

It didn't fit in at all with the rest of the series. There wasn't a modicum of seriousness until then.

Ian McElhinney was on TV3's Six O Clock tonight and said it was random, that Tommy's character's shoulder was nearest to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

up to episode 5, thought it was the weakest episode so far, a bit early to be doing road trips. Otherwise great series, rewatched episode 1 last night as my son hadn't seen it and I laughed even more, the build up in the detention scene was classic. I don't like the main blondy one in it, she tends to overact but the rest of the cast are hilarious. Interesting that the "kids" are all much older in real life.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They called something "xxx-gate" at one stage too. Afair, there was still just watergate at that stage, people hadn't started calling everything something-gate yet.

You are definitely wrong there, was in use in the 1980s in the UK for their royal scandals, CamillaGate, FergieGate, ToeGate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

"Sharon-gate" on eastenders was early enough 90s too wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My favourite subtle cultural reference was the Nicole papa one, anyone not around at the time wouldn't have got it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,301 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is getting repeated now on E4 starting tonight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Cast doing Celebrity Crystal Maze on C4 right now.

Advertisement