Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

People now looking at all the difference on the board.

Catholics go to bundoran
    Protestants go to newcastles
    Protestants keep toasters in the cupboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I love Sr.Micheal. She's me if I was surrounded by kids.

My favourite bit was Claire
    on the wall.
    I cackled!

I love Sr.Micheal. She's me if I was surrounded by kids.

My favourite bit was Claire
    on the wall.
    I cackled!

Dose...eye roll

She cracks me up

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

Enjoyable return. End was a bit corny but overall it was nice to have them back

The end felt kinda abrupt. God I'm so used to binging whole series on Netflix it's a killer waiting 7 days for 22 minutes of content broken up by ****e ads :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Thought it was a very weak return. Very few laughs if any. The English lad character is quickly wearing thin, his only purpose is to be the butt of the jokes of others, that was already done to death in the first series. Alot of the attempted humour seemed forced and unnatural. At least the soundtrack was decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

gmisk wrote: »
    People now looking at all the difference on the board.

Catholics go to bundoran
    Protestants go to newcastles
    Protestants keep toasters in the cupboards

Protestants think Catholics keep coal in the bath :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You will go far in life.

But you will not be liked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I thought it was good, glad to see it back. Great soundtrack, my favourite part was the sarcastic shopkeeper for the protestant presents. I do agree the English lad is starting to wear thin.

Also great to read on twitter peoples experiences of their own cross community school trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I caught the first half and didn't find it great tbh. Also dunno if anyone else found this but I struggled to understand them when they were in the house at the start as they were speaking so fast.

I'll give it a second watch and see if I like it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

I caught the first half and didn't find it great tbh. Also dunno if anyone else found this but I struggled to understand them when they were in the house at the start as they were speaking so fast.
    I put the subtitles on.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a second watch and see if I like it better.
    The speaking fast bit was extremely realistic.

First episode was a lot of fun, but few things I read saying second episode is a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Nice and easy to understand if you are from up here.......Donegal I mean. My area even got a mention - Portsalon! Hell of a lot of Northerners have mobile homes / holiday homes there.

Thought it was fairly weak. Maybe a combination of being tired on a Tuesday night and having my expectations too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thought it was fairly weak. Maybe a combination of being tired on a Tuesday night and having my expectations too high.

Haven't seen it yet, recorded and will watch at the weekend.

This could be this series biggest problem. The show has been hyped massively the last few weeks, and when something gets hyped so much, it often finds it hard to live up to expectations.

Most big cinema releases are like that for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

But seriously, are we gonna find out about "The Big Bowl"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thought it was good without being spectacular.

Sr. Michael was brilliant, stole the show if you ask me.

I too could not keep up with the dialogue, especially from Michelle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Thought it was grand but I'd agree it's a pain having to wait another week for 1 episode. Great to see Stumpy is back from the dead and has turned his life around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The priest (who was the only shining light in London Irish) has potential. He has funny face. I think they should use him more, like the nun.

The priest (who was the only shining light in London Irish) has potential. He has funny face. I think they should use him more, like the nun.
    I think thats harsh Conor (Kerr Logan) was very funny in that show, definitely a bit of the Orla character from Derry Girls in that character.

However the main female character Bronagh was bloody awful, her accent was shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Protestants keep toasters in the cupboard.

I knew it! My Gran was a Prod!

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »
    Protestants keep toasters in the cupboard.

I knew it! My Gran was a Prod!
    Did she go on holiday to Newcastle?

"Catholics go to Bundoran and Protestants go to Newcastle"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

wasnt a bad episode in fairness. i agree with previous posters that the english guys character is wearing a bit thin. i also think the father and son jibing is getting annoying. Not sure tommy tiernan is much of an actor either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

While enjoyable, I think the comments from the nun are a bit forced and shoehorned in. They were best when she was talking to just kids or other teachers. But, slagging off the priest takes into the realms of fantasy. It is fictional, but works best when mimicking real life. I love the cast pics in the ubiquitous for the times frames used at ad breaks.

With Tommy T, I think the jokes with the Dad are similarly known "fan favourites" that are now falling flat and again forced.

Still enjoying, but possibly need to re-watch with subtitles. Got about 80% of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I enjoyed it. Thought it was funny

While enjoyable, I think the comments from the nun are a bit forced and shoehorned in. They were best when she was talking to just kids or other teachers. But, slagging off the priest takes into the realms of fantasy. It is fictional, but works best when mimicking real life. I love the cast pics in the ubiquitous for the times frames used at ad breaks.

With Tommy T, I think the jokes with the Dad are similarly known "fan favourites" that are now falling flat and again forced.

Still enjoying, but possibly need to re-watch with subtitles. Got about 80% of it.
    I honestly dont think that is true, I went to a catholic school which had one nun and she constantly ran down the priests and was pretty much in charge.

I agree with the Tommy T and her dad jokes they arent strong and have gotten old very fast.

Id prefer more Orla and Aunt Sarah to be honest.

I thought Orlas pinnochio line last night was hilarious, almost as good as the russian dolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

I really enjoyed it last night.

'The small angry penguin woman' line really cracked me up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

gmisk wrote: »
    I honestly dont think that is true, I went to a catholic school which had one nun and she constantly ran down the priests and was pretty much in charge/

Not in front of them surely.

I went to a convent school (oh gawd, I just realised I'm the English lad :o) and the priest was very much revered.

I’m in fits laughing at this tweet

3-E9-B4-F38-D2-AC-4807-8-B86-65346-E6-DA2-C8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I hope it doesn’t become a victim of second season self-awareness. I have a feeling the nun’s character might be affected by that.

• Advertisement

Not in front of them surely.

I went to a convent school (oh gawd, I just realised I'm the English lad :o) and the priest was very much revered.
    She used to tut and roll her eyes.....so yes lol

Your definitely the wee english lad ha

Advertisement