Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

were cross school/communitity things actually real ? did this happen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

gmisk wrote: »
    Protestants hate abba

That’s not true!!!! But we do like marching hahahahahaha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Love the return of the crabbit shopkeeper. Everything else is a bit meh. Jokes are clunky, although granted it's for a UK audience. You'd swear it was the first time sectarianism had been covered by comedy the way some people rave about it.

I never got the reason why they have an English boy in it. Makes literally no sense and takes away from the regional aspect. Was it something the production company insisted in I wonder? Lisa should have put her foot down and wrote him out of S2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Very much so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did she go on holiday to Newcastle?

"Catholics go to Bundoran and Protestants go to Newcastle"

Murder for soup as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Love the return of the crabbit shopkeeper. Everything else is a bit meh. Jokes are clunky, although granted it's for a UK audience. You'd swear it was the first time sectarianism had been covered by comedy the way some people rave about it.

I never got the reason why they have an English boy in it. Makes literally no sense and takes away from the regional aspect. Was it something the production company insisted in I wonder? Lisa should have put her foot down and wrote him out of S2.

Channel4 gender quotas ... I joke. Maybe it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

didnt see the episode but it seems that the girls were on some sort of outdoors cross community thingie

But yea, they existed.
    I was at one in Jordanstown back in '95 where I had to explain to the unbelieving northern protestants that Cavan was in Ulster.
    They believed there was either 7 or 8 counties in Ulster - the 6 in NI plus Donegal, with Monaghan getting an odd mention despite it never being actually planted.
    The ignorance is unbelievable, but probably good comedy material at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah here now leave the wee limey alone!

I think he has had some funny bits, I particularly like the ITS MUCH TOO GREASY rant.
    He might have more to do in the other episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Last night sparked some hilarious memories for me!
    Heading up to NI with a bunch of nutters from Limerick on a Co-operation North Trip to Lisburn over the anniversary weekend of Bloody Sunday, Ice Skating with my hair in pigtails hand in hand with a Prod!
    Having my tackies robbed so I had to go south barefoot!
    Shifting a lovely young one from an estate with union jacks painted on the kerbs, and calling it fenianisation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Didn't Bertie make a similar mistake once thinking Monaghan was in NI :pac:

*can't quote, Boards giving me an error message saying message too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

Sub titles a must for everyone south of fermanagh

mattser wrote: »

So, most of England and Wales also :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

*can't quote, Boards giving me an error message saying message too short.
    That happens to me too. Often takes a couple of attempts.

I copy the message before I press "Submit reply" so it is easy to repost.

I’m a Londoner and understand every word. I am married to a Donegal man though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

grand for me in Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭mattser

mada999 wrote: »

grand for me in Louth

Sure that's the north too !!

mada999 wrote: »
    grand for me in Louth

Sorry, what's that you said again ? :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Zeek12 wrote: »
    People now looking at all the difference on the board.

Catholics go to bundoran
    Protestants go to newcastles
    Protestants keep toasters in the cupboards
    Protestants think Catholics keep coal in the bath :)

20qnxvd.jpg

Catholic gravy is all Bisto. :)
    Protestants think Catholics are all alcos.
    Protestants love soup.

They're not wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I thought the catholics/athletes thing was weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was Tommy T's hitler tache explained?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But seriously, are we gonna find out about "The Big Bowl"?
    That'll be the season long arc/mystery.
    FanadMan wrote: »
    Nice and easy to understand if you are from up here.......Donegal I mean. My area even got a mention - Portsalon! Hell of a lot of Northerners have mobile homes / holiday homes there.
    Ah, but do they belong to Catholics or Protestants?

Was expecting the nun to say "Derry" or at least sigh when saying "Londonderry"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I see they cast Keith Duffy's son Jay in the role of the Protestant lad that Michelle hooked up with. I was looking at him and said he looked familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gidget wrote: »
    I see they cast Keith Duffy's son Jay in the role of the Protestant lad that Michelle hooked up with. I was looking at him and said he looked familiar.

I was wrecking me head thinking I knew him from Eastenders, close it was Hollyoaks so thank you ;)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was Tommy T's hitler tache explained?

There was no explaining that. They should have done a Henry Cavill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Caught up with this tonight.

A drop off from last season already. All I heard between its first airing and actually watching it tonight was the 'hilarious' chalkboard scene. Hilarious is too strong a word- it was clever, but I could hardly hear half of the suggestions being thrown out. Dialogue is hard to decipher on occasion.

The English lad is a plague. Like was he trying to get off with Ollie from GOT, or just jealous of the quirky one? Should be shipped back across the Irish Sea pronto.

The father-in-law should be up in family court for psychological bullying at this stage. Season one ended with them two united in shock at the latest Troubles bomb- now it has reverted back to tired jokes.

I am tending to take reviews with a pinch of salt as a) they are influenced by nostalgia and as a result the comic nature of the show isn't separated from the 'times' (if you get what I am trying to say) and b) it has an air of Stephanie Pressenier about it in that its a female writer so critics may be loathe to downplay the overall quality.

But I don't forsee Season 2 outshining Season 1. I hope I am wrong though, as I really enjoyed it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I don’t think it’s a LOL show, either season. It’s more smile at the silliness. When you ditch the need for lols and lower your expectations, you’ll find enough to enjoy. Bit like life I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Virtually all Irish based drama/comedy series have a token English character. Usually with little to no explanation as to why they're there. I remember even Paths To Freedom had the English guy that Rats ex goes off with. Presumably it's to make it easier to sell to UK stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

its not the type of show that can go on for years. they might be able to stretch a 3rd season but id say that would be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

its not the type of show that can go on for years. they might be able to stretch a 3rd season but id say that would be it.

End it this season, then follow up with a film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

End it this season, then follow up with a film.

God a Derry Girls movie does not sound palatable.

Advertisement