Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Hardy Bucks and Inbetweeners films were mediocre enough, if they go down that road my expectations wouldn't be that high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

End it this season, then follow up with a film.
    Yeah, that worked out so well for The Inbetweeners! :pac:

I'd say they'll get a third season out of it and that should probably be it. Though if Channel 4 have the appetite and it keeps pulling in viewers and they throw enough cash at it, it could go on for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How long until RTE start showing thia on repeat like Father Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wouldn’t say we were quite in Give My Head Peace territory with that season opener but didn’t think it was that far off either. Catholic-athlete, lamest hook for a joke I’ve heard in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Caught up with this tonight.

A drop off from last season already. All I heard between its first airing and actually watching it tonight was the 'hilarious' chalkboard scene. Hilarious is too strong a word- it was clever, but I could hardly hear half of the suggestions being thrown out. Dialogue is hard to decipher on occasion.

The English lad is a plague. Like was he trying to get off with Ollie from GOT, or just jealous of the quirky one? Should be shipped back across the Irish Sea pronto.

The father-in-law should be up in family court for psychological bullying at this stage. Season one ended with them two united in shock at the latest Troubles bomb- now it has reverted back to tired jokes.

I am tending to take reviews with a pinch of salt as a) they are influenced by nostalgia and as a result the comic nature of the show isn't separated from the 'times' (if you get what I am trying to say) and b) it has an air of Stephanie Pressenier about it in that its a female writer so critics may be loathe to downplay the overall quality.

But I don't forsee Season 2 outshining Season 1. I hope I am wrong though, as I really enjoyed it last year.
    The things I heard said episode 2 is a big improvement over 1 this series. I wouldn't right it off yet! Maybe the hype is a bit much though.

I found it a fun episode, not the best one, but like a lot of people I find the Tommy tiernan and the granda thing tiresome at this stage, and the wee English fella had nothing to do in episode one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

The father-in-law should be up in family court for psychological bullying at this stage. Season one ended with them two united in shock at the latest Troubles bomb- now it has reverted back to tired jokes.

It's a fictional TV comedy relax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I don’t think it’s a LOL show, either season. It’s more smile at the silliness. When you ditch the need for lols and lower your expectations, you’ll find enough to enjoy. Bit like life I guess.

Well thats depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Does anyone know what the ratings are like in the Republic?

Derry Girls scored 1.8 million for the second season opener in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I have often thought the humour in this show was forced and unnatural but I actually liked episode one, thought it was funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought the lad, Michelle's cousin, is his name James would maybe be paired with Erin this series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Basq wrote: »
    Yeah, that worked out so well for The Inbetweeners! :pac:

I.

Yes, yes it did.
    Making nearly 20 times the budget back at the box office is working out well in anyone's language.

Yes, yes it did.
    Making nearly 20 times the budget back at the box office is working out well in anyone's language.
    Box office success does not necessarily mean well-respected.. they're widely regarded as vastly inferior to the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Basq wrote: »
    Box office success does not necessarily mean well-respected.. they're widely regarded as vastly inferior to the series.

It making a boatload of money very much puts it in the category of "working out well" imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just caught up on it tonight. I was disappointed to be honest. Not a patch on season 1. Hope it improves a bit next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I thought the programme that followed it "Home" was much better. It wasn't trying as hard to be funny and had some really good bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Finally got around to watching the first episode of series 2. It was more mildly amusing than outright funny really. Nice to see the characters again.

I agree about the conflict between the Granddad and Tommy Tiernan's character is way overdone at this point. I was half hoping Tommy would pull out a gun in a fit of anger and shoot the miserable fecker.

The Catholics/Athletes segment has got to be one of the most overworked, awkwardly crowbarred in "gags" I've ever seen in a comedy. You'd be embarrassed to put that in a school play. And even the fact that the writer surely had to be thinking that nobody will buy this. And then thought oh I know I'll make him deaf in one ear earlier in the episode. That'll work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

I thought the programme that followed it "Home" was much better. It wasn't trying as hard to be funny and had some really good bits.

I wouldn't say it was better but I did enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Finally got around to watching the first episode of series 2. It was more mildly amusing than outright funny really. Nice to see the characters again.

I agree about the conflict between the Granddad and Tommy Tiernan's character is way overdone at this point. I was half hoping Tommy would pull out a gun in a fit of anger and shoot the miserable fecker.

The Catholics/Athletes segment has got to be one of the most overworked, awkwardly crowbarred in "gags" I've ever seen in a comedy. You'd be embarrassed to put that in a school play. And even the fact that the writer surely had to be thinking that nobody will buy this. And then thought oh I know I'll make him deaf in one ear earlier in the episode. That'll work.

Isn’t a lot of the humour on that level? It’s very absurdist in places.

This episode is just painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Sam Hain wrote: »
    This episode is just painful.

Yep, i agree. Hopefully the second half improves.

• Advertisement

Absolute muck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

NTC wrote:
    Yep, i agree. Hopefully the second half improves.

It didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hmm, I liked it. Loved the music, bit of a Skit on DPS. Sr Michael totally stole the show, she's improving as a character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Hmm, I liked it. Loved the music

I think it relies way too much on the music. The nostalgia papers over some very poor comedy.

Hmm, I liked it. Loved the music, bit of a Skit on DPS. Sr Michael totally stole the show, she's improving as a character.

Soundtrack is good but that's not difficult as it was a great era for music. Sr. Michael has stagnated as a character. The only laugh I found was when Michelle said "careful now Oliver Reed" to the wee rotund one drinking the wine. Someone said earlier in this thread that episode 2 was supposed to be great. Piss poor. Will be a struggle to watch the rest of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Cazale wrote: »
    It didn't.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Better than last week for me

Dead poets society parody was by the book but sure its not the most original of shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think when you do a direct comparison of two episodes of first season, which hit all the right high notes, it falls a bit flat, but I still enjoyed it in parts.

I think the series success however based off the first season was its approach to basics when it comes to storyline with moments of the absurdity to make it stand out. So far it might be trying to rely on standalone episodes too much, rather than just building on the 1st season storylines more naturally. The ideas are there but execution can seem a bit disjointed and rushed at times . I thought it tried to fit in too many ideas into last two episodes with some of it coming across as a bit forced as a result.. Like the pitfall of a show looking to stuff the highlight reels without any consideration for how the episode ebbs as a whole. Some of characters show signs of being too self-aware.

Reemerging tropes such as the parents assembly when the girls get in trouble is starting to feel overused .. It's happened every episode of new season, they risk making it tired and it loses its impact as a result. Other devices such as the father/son in law animosity also are getting a bit dragged out as others have alluded to, need to roll back on that, or portray it a bit more subtlety at least.

Hopefully next episode sees a return to true form. So far a bit susceptible to 2nd season syndrome. It's relatability continues to be driving stone for viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cazale wrote: »
    I think it relies way too much on the music. The nostalgia papers over some very poor comedy.

The music is good but agree that it's become a bit of a crutch.

The show works as a nostalgia piece but the comedy itself is very hit and miss and I'd say mainly miss this 2nd series so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭safeasparagus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought the lad, Michelle's cousin, is his name James would maybe be paired with Erin this series

It might make her stop pulling those ridiculous faces in every scene then ! :)

Advertisement