Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Loved the reference to the "Derry wee".

"The fact that people use the word wee to describe things that aren't actually that small".

I was working in a shop in Derry and had a bet with my colleague (she was from Derry, I'm from Donegal) that she had to give me a pound every time she offered the customer a "wee bag" even though it was a big bag.

After £20 (from 20 customers) she quit the game and never did pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

Watched Derry Girls for the first time last night. Not sure what the big fuss is about at all. Unfunny, smug cast who assume they are funny. I think it's hipsters keeping in trend who laugh at the humour in it. Give me Father Ted reruns any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Watched Derry Girls for the first time last night. Not sure what the big fuss is about at all. Unfunny, smug cast who assume they are funny. I think it's hipsters keeping in trend who laugh at the humour in it. Give me Father Ted reruns any day.

To be fair you tuned in for the worst episode of the whole run in my opinion.

Watch the first series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

redbuck wrote: »
    To be fair you tuned in for the worst episode of the whole run in my opinion.

Watch the first series.
    I would agree, watched this week and it was poor, just a couple of laughs :( disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The problem for this season of Derry Girls is that season 1 is mostly overrated and people think its better that what it was.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The problem for this season of Derry Girls is that season 1 is mostly overrated and people think its better that what it was.
    I disagree, I watched season 1 twice and I actually enjoyed it more the second time.
    However episode 2 of this season was the poorest one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

The poorest episode so far. Hopefully it's a one off. Anyone else notice that the main characters don't seem to actually talk to one another much anymore, it's more talking to the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have to agree. Can see it would be better if you were from the area but it's really overrated and rather amateur Mrs Brownish in the delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I predicted when the cast were on the Late Late a few weeks ago that the hype had gone overboard with what was a small sample size of outright quality.

Made a comparison then that it would go the way of Moone Boy, acclaimed for 90s nostalgia and couldn't go wrong, but weaker as it went on.

I maintain in a few years time it will be the same as Moone Boy, grand for what it is but largely forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

There are 2 types of comedy
    Ordinary characters in extraordinary circumstances
    Or extraordinary characters in the ordinary circumstances

Derry Girls is the later as is Father Ted ..where the characters become over the top and at times cliched

However that is where the comparisons end..Father Ted is a classic because it has wonderful insights on religious orders, religion , pathos and the human condition plus it has a stream of every changing characters , it has truth and it has charm

Unfortunately while it has some fine lines and I do like the Nun ...DGs has mostly dreadful over acting , very one dimensional characters and after a while it becomes irksome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Season 2 has been really disappointing so far. It's going downhill fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Unfortunately while it has some fine lines and I do like the Nun ...DGs has mostly dreadful over acting , very one dimensional characters and after a while it becomes irksome

You should try out London Irish, McGee's previous creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Struggled through 2 episodes. Had to see what all the fuss was about. Not for me. Plus I'm allergic to any Nordie accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I did laugh at the Christmas cupboard references as it reminded me of my aunt

It wasn't the best episode, the older characters I find more funny than the core main younger characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I decided to give this a go. I watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and it's not good imo. The 2 blonde girls in this just annoy me, the ridiculous overacting and mugging grinds my gears. There was a bit in an episode where the Erin is ordering food in a chipper but she looked like she was acting out having a stroke. I did like the grandad in it even if I felt sorry for Tommy Tiernan's character sometimes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yip, first series had a lot of strange facial contortions.

The lead actress seems to have toned it down a fair bit in series 2, someone must have told her to calm it down.

The iittle blonde one is hamming it up as usual though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Watched episode two tonight, really poor. I hope it improves as will be hard to watch another four of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Not great so far again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Pure dross again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Meh again.

I don't know if its deliberate but I find it incredible hard to understand the ditzy auntie character. The Traveller lad was almost indecipherable as well- again not sure if that was the intention. And the dialogue in general is so rapid its hard to follow, or pick up any jokes- if there are any at all.

The only good bit I felt was the father tuning in to the news and smirking at himself when he spotted the girls at the concert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought it was better tonight. A few laughs, like "aren't they meant to be 90% wool?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The chubby one tweeted that it might be the funniest episode yet. Thought it was quite poor compared to the rest. The running gag about an escaped polar bear...how did that get off the drawing board? What'll they drop in next week? Aliens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I thought it was better than episode two not that that is a high bar. Some genuine funny moments. My other half is from Derry and they find it hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Ah lads! Tonight's episode was really good. Lots of laugh out loud moments for me. Most comedies make me smile, this literally makes me lol. The traveller bit didn't make me laugh but the rest was quite good.
    "They don't like your sort either. Pricks". 'Sorry you are missing This and That' typical mammy, typical teen correcting her! Michelle picking Take That over her cousin. Are you trying to change race. This is oak not mahogany that's against the trade descriptions act.
    Genuine funny lines tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The only good bit I felt was the father tuning in to the news and smirking at himself when he spotted the girls at the concert.

Loved that bit. It was so set up though, as soon as the news report of the concert came on, they would have been shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not great sadly, maybe a one season wonder.

Always a few great lines but much of the episode was poor. What kind of effort at an accent they had the traveller fella doing, I have no idea.

Best line of the show was Sr Michael complaining that the wee woman's egg and onion sandwich would "turn an orange march".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought the travellers accent was very funny.
    I thought the whole show was hilarious.
    Maybe being a 90s teenage girl adds to my enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Dreary Girls... they’ll run out of crowbars if they keep on cramming cliches, ‘things girls do’ and ‘Ulster news events’ into this comedy vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Wtf else is meant to feature in a show about girls from Ulster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Addle wrote: »
    Wtf else is meant to feature in a show about girls from Ulster?

Characters with a third dimension?
    Interesting stories?
    Original ideas?
    Humour?

The first series was grand, this is ‘difficult second album’ gruel.
    Like a second pot of tea made of squeezed bags.

If there’s nothing else they could think of bar ‘reeling in the years’ presented by teens with facial ticks then don’t make it.

Advertisement