Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The chubby one tweeted that it might be the funniest episode yet. Thought it was quite poor compared to the rest. The running gag about an escaped polar bear...how did that get off the drawing board? What'll they drop in next week? Aliens?

Didn’t rate the episode, but the escaped polar bear plot would have been lifted from the various actual and imagined animal escapes from Belfast Zoo. There was a panic when a supposed escaped lion was sighted near the zoo about ten years ago. Police search started and public warnings went out, before it turned out to be a, eh, large dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Addle wrote: »
    I thought the travellers accent was very funny.
    I thought the whole show was hilarious.
    Maybe being a 90s teenage girl adds to my enjoyment.

You're easily entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Addle wrote: »
    Wtf else is meant to feature in a show about girls from Ulster?

What parts of Ulster have you visited that you are the oracle on their behaviour?
    Derry is quite different to a lot of Ulster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Sam Hain wrote: »
    What parts of Ulster have you visited that you are the oracle on their behaviour?
    Derry is quite different to a lot of Ulster.

It's because of the Derry air :pac::confused::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

alastair wrote: »
    Didn’t rate the episode, but the escaped polar bear plot would have been lifted from the various actual and imagined animal escapes from Belfast Zoo. There was a panic when a supposed escaped lion was sighted near the zoo about ten years ago. Police search started and public warnings went out, before it turned out to be a, eh, large dog.

That would have been a better storyline.

A giant wee dog, so it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Rflwr88

As a Londoner married to someone from NI, some of the jokes make no sense to me but it’s mostly hilarious to me.

The traveller accent was lacking...

I'm liking this now. Thought the first episode was awful but then curbed my expectations and try to watch it when I'm not tired or hungover.

who was your man playing the traveller he looked familiar from somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

bluewolf wrote: »
    who was your man playing the traveller he looked familiar from somewhere
    Ryan McParland

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3130001/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think it's becoming fashionable now to have a dig at the show, be a hater.

I would agree the standard has dropped slightly from the first series, but it's still a decent enough comedy show.

Most comedy shows on TV aren't flat out laughfests. Most of them would be classed as mildly amusing, and DG falls into that category too IMHO.

Comedy is a very hard thing to make successfully. This is doing a decent job, but comedy is very like music, films and other forms of entertainment. It's all very subjective. Some people like it, others don't. Some like this film, others hate it. Some like this music artist, others can't stand them.

If you find you don't like it then maybe time to stop watching it?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think it's becoming fashionable now to have a dig at the show, be a hater.
    It's not at all. The show has just gone to ****e in S2. Not a decent episode so far.
    I would agree the standard has dropped slightly from the first series, but it's still a decent enough comedy show.

See above.
    Most comedy shows on TV aren't flat out laughfests. Most of them would be classed as mildly amusing, and DG falls into that category too IMHO.

Most comedy shows ARE flat out laughfests. That's why they are comedy shows. The only thing S2 of this show has given is the odd smile or two. Not one LOL moment.
    Comedy is a very hard thing to make successfully. This is doing a decent job, but comedy is very like music, films and other forms of entertainment. It's all very subjective. Some people like it, others don't. Some like this film, others hate it. Some like this music artist, others can't stand them.

From the comments I've seen and heard about S2, the negatives outweigh the positives.
    If you find you don't like it then maybe time to stop watching it?

That's a ****ty thing to say. Many people agree its gone to the dogs but are still willing to see the rest of the series out. For someone who speaks so highly of the show, you're quick to turn away the critics. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and watch the rest of it....if that's OK with you?

I thought season 1 was excellent BTW.

I watched season 1 after watching the first episode of season 2. They're pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,086 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I watched season 1 after watching the first episode of season 2. They're pretty similar.

yeah season 1 is good but largely overrated.

I think this is because people didn't expect much at first and when a few episodes were good they soon became great. Also the soundtrack is good and the nostalgia element sucked people right in.

If you go back and watch season 1 now you'll find it's very similar to season 2 so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

yeah season 1 is good but largely overrated.

I think this is because people didn't expect much at first and when a few episodes were good they soon became great. Also the soundtrack is good and the nostalgia element sucked people right in.

If you go back and watch season 1 now you'll find it's very similar to season 2 so far.

I completely agree. I absolutely loved season 1. I was so let down by the first episode of season 2. I went back and watched all of season 1 with my gf and realised its identical. Hit or miss at times but usually full of layered jokes. Exact same as season 2.

Like that joke about the polar bear... All the main characters are talking about the newscast about the DUP and Ian paisley at the same time. It's reused theme that they're talking about something benign and something seriously political.

Have a look at the average ratings online. The general consensus is that season 2 is marginally better so far. I recommend super fans should treat yourself to season 1 again and see if you enjoy the new ones more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The traveller's accent seemed to be more "Limerick sham" than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I think it’s the nostalgia element and the soundtrack that make the show really because as an actual comedy it’s very very average.

That said it’s an easy watch for 25/30 mins if you fancy a bit of light hearted escapism. Good fun but almost instantantly forgettable.

Great comedies are infinitely rewatchable 10, 20 years into the future. That’s why something like Father Ted is still pretty much constantly on repeat on various channels. I can’t see anyone really rewatching Derry Girls in 20 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I completely agree. I absolutely loved season 1. I was so let down by the first episode of season 2. I went back and watched all of season 1 with my gf and realised its identical. Hit or miss at times but usually full of layered jokes. Exact same as season 2.

Like that joke about the polar bear... All the main characters are talking about the newscast about the DUP and Ian paisley at the same time. It's reused theme that they're talking about something benign and something seriously political.

Have a look at the average ratings online. The general consensus is that season 2 is marginally better so far. I recommend super fans should treat yourself to season 1 again and see if you enjoy the new ones more.

I got round to watching episode 3 of season 2.....it was ok....a few funny bits (I liked
    the nuns choice of reading material on the bus
    )
    I think this season has been poor in comparison to the first no getting away from it.
    I re-watched season 1 before it came back and it just worked a lot better for me I found it a lot funnier and each episode had a decent little arc.

I had no idea what the traveller was saying a lot of the time, the guy playing him is normally a decent actor usually as well he was good in a show called 6 degrees, but he was distractingly bad in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Interesting that a lot of people are crediting the soundtrack as one of the positive aspects of the show. I can’t think of a sitcom where a few background tracks made a whit of difference to the quality. For me it’s always been around 40% character, 55% script and plot, 5% other odds and ends, and I’m afraid this series is falling down badly on the first two fronts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I was convinced Sister Michael was going to the concert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Maybe she was-now that'd have been funny to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Rock The Boat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

"I'll just stop you there" is from Father Ted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm just really tiring of this show now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was best episode of this series IMO.
    Aunt Sarah stole the show with that opening scene.

I think it helped that it focussed on other characters more bar away from the kids.
    Music was spot on, definitely not season 1 good but I will take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

gmisk wrote: »
    Music was spot on, definitely not season 1 good but I will take it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Thought it was back on form tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I was convinced Sister Michael was going to the concert

All she does each night is pray :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Better this week, I do love the Irish funeral :o

• Advertisement

Delighted the show redeemed itself this week.

Advertisement