Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Slightly off-topic but jesus.. we get it JOE.ie.. you watched the episode! :rolleyes:

Screen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-22-58-35.pngScreen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-22-58-45.pngScreen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-22-58-57.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-22-59-09.pngScreen-Shot-2019-03-26-at-22-59-21.png

(in a 1 hour period)

In slightly more on topic, we need more Sister Michael. Her appearances are all too fleeting for arguably the best character in the show.

The actual girls (and wee English fella) often are getting the weakest dialogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Addle wrote: »
    Wtf else is meant to feature in a show about girls from Ulster?

Actually develop the character's personalities rather than always relying on jokes about protestants etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I just watched that episode twice in a row and laughed as much if not more the second time around.

Great episode after a weak season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best of s2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I'm unusual that I've only seen season 2 without seeing s1. Was ok just about so far, i had it on series record so caught up every week. This one was proper funny, loved it. By far the best of this series anyway. This episode now will make me go back and watch Season 1, as I was wondering what all the hype was about!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I haven't seen these episodes yet but a man from my parish was an extra in one, the parish of Ballymaguigan, he was a player on the TG4 GAA show Underdogs and he must have made a contact there so it shows you it is all about who you know in the show business scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

A lovely half hour of TV, as all the other episodes have been. Ardal O'Hanlon's dodgy Derry accent aside, I thought it was a cracking episode. Laughed like a drain at the church scene at the start and Aunt Sarah walking down the aisle. And sister Michael with Colm - "....is this my wake?"

Agree with some of the posts above - season 2 is broadly similar quality-wise to season 1 for me.

One little bugbear of mine - I wish there was more on location stuff from Derry city. It can feel very confined by the studio some times. I was born in Derry so would love to see more of it on screen - that being said Derry has changed quite a bit in the last 25 years so it may not be entirely feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I love seeing Kevin mcaleer back in tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Enjoyed last night’s episode, easily the best of Season 2 so far.

Loved the scene between Sister Michael with Colm, need to see more of them interacting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I love seeing Kevin mcaleer back in tv.

Back in the '90s, my whole family would often watch him on Nighthawks. We'd all be there, sitting around the television, half of us looking at the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Sr. Michael - by far the best character in Derry Girls

I actually like the Mammy Mrs. Quinn - she's very funny. Still laughing at This and That for Take That.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

Back in the '90s, my whole family would often watch him on Nighthawks. We'd all be there, sitting around the television, half of us looking at the back of it.

We'd all be there for hours looking at the TV. Then someone would say "turn it on".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

" ten at the front of it, ten at the back and after about fifteen minutes, someone might say

TURN It ON!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

champchamp wrote: »
    We'd all be there for hours looking at the TV. Then someone would say "turn it on".

I had a comedy tape of his with that sketch back in the 90's. Hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Wtf else is meant to feature in a show about girls from Ulster?

There's probably more Protestants in Dublin than there is in Derry city though to be fair through my rural eyes they are all Protestants as all they seem to care about in Derry is English soccer and boxing. I was reading in the Derry Post newspaper that they had to get a GAA coach in to teach the girls how to swing a camogie stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I haven't seen these episodes yet but a man from my parish was an extra in one, the parish of Ballymaguigan, he was a player on the TG4 GAA show Underdogs and he must have made a contact there so it shows you it is all about who you know in the show business scene

Hello Colm *waves*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    All she does each night is pray :P

:D:D:D

I though it was a definite improvement this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Roar wrote: »
    A lovely half hour of TV, as all the other episodes have been. Ardal O'Hanlon's dodgy Derry accent aside, I thought it was a cracking episode. Laughed like a drain at the church scene at the start and Aunt Sarah walking down the aisle. And sister Michael with Colm - "....is this my wake?"

Agree with some of the posts above - season 2 is broadly similar quality-wise to season 1 for me.

One little bugbear of mine - I wish there was more on location stuff from Derry city. It can feel very confined by the studio some times. I was born in Derry so would love to see more of it on screen - that being said Derry has changed quite a bit in the last 25 years so it may not be entirely feasible.

ROTFL at that and I had no funny scones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm surprised at the positive reaction to this week's. I thought it was poor. Hash scones to the unaware is as auld as the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

3 or 4 Father Ted references tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm surprised at the positive reaction to this week's. I thought it was poor. Hash scones to the unaware is as auld as the hills.

It's funny the first time around alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Them all giving out about Colm talking. I would literally sit beside him all day and listen to him talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Dante7 wrote: »
    Them all giving out about Colm talking. I would literally sit beside him all day and listen to him talking.

Oh, aye, now...................he would say.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

There's probably more Protestants in Dublin than there is in Derry city though to be fair through my rural eyes they are all Protestants as all they seem to care about in Derry is English soccer and boxing. I was reading in the Derry Post newspaper that they had to get a GAA coach in to teach the girls how to swing a camogie stick.

Like James McClean?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I thought it was a good episode.

No-one does a gormless idiot better than Ardal at this stage. Tommy did some good stuff, taking on the sandwich making operation which is always critical at funerals. You don't want to run out of sandwiches! Hash scones an old one alright but was still funny. Also the girls afraid of the mammy in case she puts a hex on them. Them thinking of rescuing the guy from Colm and then deciding against it.

It was good to see the "auld" ones at the centre of the story for a change. Probably the best episode of the series so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Glad they came down on the correct side of the old debate...

Scone rhymes with gone, not bone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Very funny show, highly accurate too, the slang, the attitude, the location.. its all there.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Glad they came down on the correct side of the old debate...

Scone rhymes with gone, not bone.

Ah you see as I watched I got annoyed because they were pronouncing scone incorrectly. Everybody knows that it rhymes with bone not gone, and while we're on the subject, jam first then cream :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Ah you see as I watched I got annoyed because they were pronouncing scone incorrectly. Everybody knows that it rhymes with bone not gone, and while we're on the subject, jam first then cream :P

Maybe where you're from it does, but certainly not in Derry.;)

• Advertisement

No-one does a gormless idiot better than Ardal at this stage.

Hace you seen him in 'Death in Paradise'. It's sort of 'Dougal goes Carribbean'. I keep waiting for him to say "Oh, you're right there Ted" :D

Advertisement