Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Reminded me a lot of London Irish. Main character (Erin, Packie) accompanied by brash friend (Michelle, Bronagh) with weirdo family member also in the (Erin's cousin, Bronagh's brother) and quirky one (Clare, Niamh), with parents also featured.

I really enjoyed London Irish though so I like where this is going so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Reminded me a lot of London Irish. Main character (Erin, Packie) accompanied by brash friend (Michelle, Bronagh) with weirdo family member also in the (Erin's cousin, Bronagh's brother) and quirky one (Clare, Niamh), with parents also featured.

I really enjoyed London Irish though so I like where this is going so far.

It's the same writer, Lisa McGee, behind both Derry Girls and London Irish, so that's definitely a fair comparison.

I liked London Irish too - not the greatest, but definitely very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thought I'd need subtitles at the start but ended up figuring out what they were saying after a while! Seems like a good start to the tv show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I thought it was absolutely awful.

Completely unnatural over acting from them All, particularly the gurning, spitting image like facial expressions from the blonde wan. The reason the Inbetweeners worked so well is because in the main it was believable but a boy being forced to go to an all girls, Catholic school and be forced to piss in a bucket?

Attempted humour at its basest level and it shows a distinct lack of faith in the writers skills, having to resort to piss jokes in order to get a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Completely unnatural over acting from them All, particularly the gurning, spitting image like facial expressions from the blonde wan. The reason the Inbetweeners worked so well is because in the main it was believable but a boy being forced to go to an all girls, Catholic school and be forced to piss in a bucket?

Attempted humour at its basest level and it shows a distinct lack of faith in the writers skills, having to resort to piss jokes in order to get a laugh.

That was the one thing I disliked about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought it was only alright. Not downright bad but not good enough to make me contemplate watching another one. Most of the cast seemed to be overacting dramatically. And I just didn't find it all that funny unfortunately despite going to a male version of that school around the same time period.

Surprised by how much praise it's been getting on twitter to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Once again Channel 4 do Irish humour better than the Irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

It's the same writer, Lisa McGee, behind both Derry Girls and London Irish, so that's definitely a fair comparison.

I liked London Irish too - not the greatest, but definitely very enjoyable.
    A few of the same cast will be in it to. I saw Peter Campion in the trailer, and Siobhan McSweeney was in the St Patrick's day episode of London Irish and is the nun in this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's how us Derry wans talk;)

I am only an hour down the road and it can be hard to keep up with it, I dont know how the English understand it.

I would like to see the Frostbit fellow get a cameo on the show, he went to school in the city.

My old school used to be an all girls Catholic school then they introduced a few boys in the late 70s, there were a few English fellows when I was there too.
    Those old Ulster buses that were shown in the show were used up until the late 2000s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just watching Celebrity Big Brother, (don't judge me) and Shane Lynch just said he went to an all girls school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I would like to see the Frostbit fellow get a cameo on the show, he went to school in the city.

Jeez, I can barely understand thon lad and I know him lol*

*touched his hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Apparently it had viewing figures of 1.6 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Apparently it had viewing figures of 1.6 million.

Is that good for Channel 4 comedies these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

My sister repeated her leaving in an all boys school

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Enjoyed this.

Laughed out loud a number of times.

Thought it was going to be sh1te but boy did I laugh.

What kind of reaction did it get on Twitter from the British ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that good for Channel 4 comedies these days?

I'd say its decent figures for a new comedy with no faces or celebs known to the UK audience.

And one about NI too, which I'm sure wouldn't attract British people immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Thought it would be funnier, but let's give it a chance and see episode 2.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Jeez, I can barely understand thon lad and I know him lol*

*touched his hand

It would be silly not to give him a cameo, a lot of people would recognise him in England. If I was the writer I'd have him come into that shop and have him ask the person behind the counter if he sells shoe polish as "the mother says I need to get these new shoes cleaned because of that wild wee bit of snow we had last week"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Friends were gushing about it on Facebook. Watched it last night. Thought it was awful shyte. Won’t be watching again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I just don't get the two blonde girls overacting the whole time? It's really annoying. I liked the other characters and had some funny parts that will convince me to give it a go. Tommy got feck all lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,602 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Friends were gushing about it on Facebook. Watched it last night. Thought it was awful shyte. Won’t be watching again.

That's the trouble with people - they just can't be trusted.

I forgot to share this the other day, she plays the mother in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

And one about NI too, which I'm sure wouldn't attract British people immediately.

I dunno, Game of Thrones is proof that the Brits are interested in shows about lands they've never heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Comedy pilots are often see as the most difficult to get right..

.. but this worked for the most part I thought.

Acting was sketchy at times but it was largely quite witty.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I thought it was hilarious. The abortion joke destroyed me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Shadowthrone

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm in Burt, also married to a Derry Girl.

Spot on about Michelle. I thought she was the most recognisable of the bunch. Orla (I think that's her name, the one reading the diary) is just weird. I know that is the intention but she doesn't quite fit.

The others work pretty well. And the wee English fella...

PS did I hear correctly? Did Michelle call one of the other girls a "shyte-the-tights"?

Excellent insult, grossly underused.

Also in Burt and I have to say they nailed it. You do have to be from the area to understand how accurate the script is.
    Shyte the tights is a great line but is used too often in Derry nowadays. The bobby sans line was a cracker that most people missed.

Those saying is it badly over acted just need to head to Derry for a weekend to see how well they pulled it off.
    Even the over reactions from the blonde girls is spot on. You just need to know the fear of a Derry mammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wanted to like it but I thought it was pretty bad. Mostly because of the dramatic over-acting from some of the main players and the heavy emphasis placed on every single word, especially the two blonde girls....it's so bad it's almost distracting.

Supporting cast otherwise are fine but I think the script is kinda weak and lets them down. The girl that plays Michelle is really the only believable character that captures what made Inbetweeners so good, if the rest were up to her standard it'd be onto something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just watched the repeat there. I liked it. I thought the first few minutes were a bit average but I felt it picked up once her friends were introduced and they wound up in the school. The brash one who is friends with the main character (Michelle is it?), I thought she was the standout character.

There were enough funny lines for me to want to see the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

I think they captured the sharp, brash tongue in Michelle pretty well. It'd be more accurate if a few of the girls were like that but it wouldn't be a good dynamic for TV. She reminds me of a lot of people I grew up with.

Some of the accents were off but that's to be expected. Also, overacting is standard stuff with some Derry teenagers.

Advertisement