Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Thought this week's episode was a bit weak. The "Chinese" from Donegal smacks of the Father Ted bit and they weren't even coy about copying the scene from Carrie. As someone else said, very predictable that James would show up at the door when Erin got stood up.

Probably not a popular opinion but it all seems a bit "panto" to me, not just the writing but the overacting from certain characters, particularly Jenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

irish_goat wrote: »
    Thought this week's episode was a bit weak. The "Chinese" from Donegal smacks of the Father Ted bit and they weren't even coy about copying the scene from Carrie. As someone else said, very predictable that James would show up at the door when Erin got stood up.

Probably not a popular opinion but it all seems a bit "panto" to me, not just the writing but the overacting from certain characters, particularly Jenny.

I think Claire is the worst for overacting now, every single scene shes in now its literally her in hysterics about not wanting to break some rule. Hard to enjoy a character like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And what are the odds they'll all be back to slagging James next week, including Erin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

redbuck wrote: »
    I think Claire is the worst for overacting now, every single scene shes in now its literally her in hysterics about not wanting to break some rule. Hard to enjoy a character like that.

I am starting to detest Claire more this series

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I am starting to detest Claire more this series

She’s jumped the shark, the writer needs to tone her down in the next series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Michelle ( Jamie Lee) is a fine looking woman y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Claire is annoying as heck....but thought it was a lovely episode.

At the end of series one they had the contrast of the girls enjoying themselves during the talent show oblivious to an IRA bombing after taking place, and here they were 'fighting' unaware of the ceasefire being agreed.

I can only imagine the unbridled joy and relief that brought to the city and NI as a whole, and I actually got a bit emotional. Same too with the ditzy one bringing her grandad as her date as he is the man she likes the most. Weepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Think orla is by far the best character this series, seems like the most genuine character even if she is a bit of an oddball.

I'm guessing that Erin will be sticking up for James from now on. Should shake up the dynamic of the group at least, might freshen it up a bit. Not sure if it will be a full blown relationship but im surprised there hasn't been a proper love interest before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not the best episode tonight, but confirmation at the end that there will be a third series.

i didn't see your man showing up at the prom for her at all and someone else thought it was obvious!
    grand ep with Bill not exciting but lovely at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,824 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really enjoyed the season

All the characters make the show and not many series have all entertaining characters

Season 3 prob be early 2020. I can see them going down a movie route too

Awww I liked the ending.

My husband never had morning assembly and thinks it’s weird :D told him there was 800 in our all girls school and in first year, you’d be at the front and move backwards each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lovely final episode not quite as funny as the last couple but definitely resonated with me emotionally, oh and the eyebrows had me in stitches. Nice to see the wee English fella given something to do.
    The first 3 in this season fairly poor, but last 3 really good for me!
    Roll on season 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

As the series goes on, Sr Michael is the one who's really starting to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Let's hope they start filming before they all reach forty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can you name a TV comedy nowadays that has 'many LOLs' ?

Not really. I liked this last episode the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Not the best episode tonight, but confirmation at the end that there will be a third series.

Was there a confirmation? Was it something in the show? Or a voice over at the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was there a confirmation? Was it something in the show? Or a voice over at the end?

Voiceover on the credits at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

How did James get told he was going home when he left his mammy back at the house ?
    Mobiles that did exist back then were well out of his range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Good episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

"You're a Derry Girl now James I'm serious, it doesn't matter that you've got that stupid accent or your bits are different to my bits, because being a Derry Girl, well it’s a fcuking state of mind"

:cool:

irish_goat wrote: »

They stole a ton of tropes from lots of things for that episode. It was a homage to american TV dances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

I think the gags have to be some way believable to work. The wild goose chase around Burt looking for the Clintons...really?

Thought they'd seem sense and written out the English lad. Then stuff it all up and bring him back.

There's some fine actors and comedy talent that is going to waste on this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

The Take That episode was my fave.

Can someone explain why the lad is in the girls school? I didn't see the first season.

"Wait, Uncle Colm met JFK? Jeez, that man didn't have much luck did he?"

I LOL'ed.

Can someone explain why the lad is in the girls school? I didn't see the first season.

With the English accent they were afraid for his safety at the boys school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Flying Fox wrote: »
    With the English accent they were afraid for his safety at the boys school.

Ahhhh, thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭gifted

If you download the channel 4 app you can watch all of the first season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

One of, if not the worst shows on television.

Every scene over acted, every word over emphasised, it's shockingly poor. Especially some of the more seasoned actors.

Always go for the low hanging fruit, the lowest common denominator, ie. the most glaringly obvious joke available.

This could of had potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭gifted

Loved every episode...obviously not the only one who loved it....

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0409/1041717-derry-girls-confirmed-for-third-series/

Advertisement