Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The thing about Ulster brogues is that they vary a lot and the different accents have small differences that some people wouldn't notice.

Derry share the same accent type as Donegal with a harsh urban twist, it is hard to imitate even for a northerner, the word "imitate" is the perfect example, they pronounce the I with an A, and the "tate" in the same manner as an English person,
    if you go east of Derry into the countryside they speak in a similar but much softer way, once you penetrate through Dungiven you will find a "Magherafelt accent", in the Draperstown area, through Magherafelt, Castledawson and around the NW Lough shore, this accent is very culchie with a lot of use of "Hi" and "surely", it doesn't have the scotch sound of Antrim, it doesn't pronounce the I's and A's like Derry/Donegal, the word "wein" is pronounced "wee-un" rather than Derrys "Wayne", the word "road" is pronounced as "rode" in most of Ulster but in the Magherafelt region accent and the Scotch accent it is pronounced "ro-aad" without the "row".

Something which complicates things further is that this Magherafelt region accent has changed over the last generation, the older people will pronounce a word like "girl" in the same manner as a Derry/Donegal person "geeerl" but a young person will pronounce it much quicker without dragging out the middle, the same goes for the word "Ireland", an older person will pronounce the "Ire" differently whereas a young person will say "Arland".

This Magherafelt accent changes around Moneymore, it turns into an east Tyrone accent with a lot of similarities to Belfast and South Ulster, they will pronounced a word like "stood" different to co. Antrim and Magherafelt, they pronounce it in the Belfast manner emphasising the O's, this is hard to explain via text. The similarity to Belfast is best seen when they say "where", they will say "wure".

Armagh have a similar sort of brogue as Tyrone but gets a lot more southern when you go into South Armagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Saw it last night, as a former convent school resident, I found it hysterical. I loved the way the young lad was told he could not use the girls or staff toilets and no one was concerned. Been in that kind of situation many a time in schools (tho never cause I was a boy)

Loved that line about wee'ing on the dead nun and making sandwiches!:D:):D:)

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Writer was on the radio today, seems very down to earth and genuine. Difficult business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really enjoyed the first episode, and I think it's even better when watching on repeat. Looking forward to the next episode.

Second series secured.

• Advertisement

weird, London Irish was actually funnier and got 1 series, I think it is the brogue which makes people want to watch it, London Irish had Belfast brogues. I remember there was a petition to get a series 2 of it.

That story.

And Paisley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

I think it's hilliarous! As a fellow teenager of the 90s I can really relate to it. I remember having one of those huge soothes lollipops. I think Michelle is the best character. Remember loads of girls like her at school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

"It's wrong"

"So are those ski pants but you still pulled them over your hole this morning"

Michelle is so cutting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Loved it again, especially...

"Turn that TV down."

"It's already at zero."

<cut to Paisley>

And Kevin McAleer used just so perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Loved it again, especially...

"Turn that TV down."

"It's already at zero."

<cut to Paisley>

"i don't know how he does it"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭brian_t

Haven't seen Kevin McAleer for a long time. I always enjoyed his monologues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Liked it much better this week, Kevin McAleer needs to get back on the telly more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

It's just brilliant. I loved the list for the chipper. So realistic for early 90's when not much money around so you always got less chips than the amount of people + shared even though you would always want more.

The youth of today have it so easy with their full order all to themselves:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As I said last week, comedy pilots are hard..

.. and this was even better than a decent pilot! :D

The ever-increasing number of bags of chips hit home hard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I really enjoyed it. It's fairly decent compared to a lot of the crap out there. Especially since I would have been that age at that particular time and was also going to school in the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The Ian Paisley bit was brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Preferred episode 1 but the Paisley joke was very good. And them asking about their trust fund. I was a teenager around the same time and can relate to a lot in this show - I also couldnt afford to go on a foreign school tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

"Do you know who we are?"

"And I says to him 'Well I can't be sure now, but maybe if you took off the balaclavas'"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Another class episode. Loving the soundtrack as well and I hope they continue to play Shipping Up To Boston every time s**t truly hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Another class episode. Loving the soundtrack as well and I hope they continue to play Shipping Up To Boston every time s**t truly hits the fan.

Soundtrack is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Started well, finished meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How many episodes a season , I'm enjoying this so far.

A couple of good jokes, if it wasn't about here I wouldn't even be watching it so I don't know if I could call it a good show yet, a bit like Give My Head Peace, we all watched that but it was all a load of drivel.
    I wonder do they break down the ratings by region? literally every house in Northern Ireland could have it switched on which which makes it seem more popular than it really is in GB.

I don't see anything particularly unique to the 90s in it apart from the clothes, I am 25 and can relate to all that school trip stuff, etc, we went to Paris in 2003, I remember one of my classmates was confused when the French waitress set down a plate of wedges, he asked her "Are these wee chippies?", she didn't reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

How many episodes a season , I'm enjoying this so far.

Six in this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thought ep1 was far better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ep2 was a lot of fun I thought...for some reason the mention of economy seven had me in stitches

gmisk wrote: »
    Ep2 was a lot of fun I thought...for some reason the mention of economy seven had me in stitches

And 'Nicole'. :) Had a bit of a crush on Nicole myself, I wonder how she is doing these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What age is the one that plays Michelle?

Advertisement