Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• The main one Erin is ruining it for me. Cannot stand her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Funny enough to keep me watching for another few episodes at least. Only thing is I have to turn the subtitles on to understand what they're saying half the time :). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The main one Erin is ruining it for me. Cannot stand her.
    The constant gurning like Albert Steptoe is getting quite irritating..

wilfrid2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I read that most of it is filmed in Belfast, a mixed religion girls school in west, the chip shop is also in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Technique

I read that most of it is filmed in Belfast, a mixed religion girls school in west, the chip shop is also in Belfast.

Most of the outdoor scenes i saw were definitely Derry - Creggan Heights, Lone Moor Road, Foyle Road etc.

• Advertisement

Technique wrote: »
    Most of the outdoor scenes i saw were definitely Derry - Creggan Heights, Lone Moor Road, Foyle Road etc.

Yes but I think the majority is in Belfast, only about 4 scenes have been in Derry so far

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/06/20/news/tommy-tiernan-in-belfast-for-filming-of-new-channel-4-sitcom-derry-girls-1061110/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

Chip shop looked like it was down in the Brandywell.

Edit :Just seen it again as the missus was watching it. Chippy definitely looks like belfast.

Yes but I think the majority is in Belfast, only about 4 scenes have been in Derry so far

http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/06/20/news/tommy-tiernan-in-belfast-for-filming-of-new-channel-4-sitcom-derry-girls-1061110/

That's one scene. I'm not going to sit and watch it to count how many scenes were in Derry but it's more than 4.

circadian wrote: »
    That's one scene. I'm not going to sit and watch it to count how many scenes were in Derry but it's more than 4.

I doubt it, from memory it was the one at bus stop, one near the stadiums and a couple walking around the housing estate.

The locations are listed here

http://www.northernirelandscreen.co.uk/production-catalogue/derry-girls/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The main one Erin is ruining it for me. Cannot stand her.

Derry-Girls-1182188.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Was getting food from the chipper on a friday night a big thing back then?? I feel left out. Never had food from a chipper until I was 18 :):)

gazzer wrote: »
    Was getting food from the chipper on a friday night a big thing back then?? I feel left out. Never had food from a chipper until I was 18 :):)

It still is, the old fellows where I live don't eat the Chineses and pizzas though, they prefer the fish suppers, I don't eat that Chinese or Indian stuff either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It still is, the old fellows where I live don't eat the Chineses and pizzas though, they prefer the fish suppers, I don't eat that Chinese or Indian stuff either.
    I am from northern ireland and in our house it was chippy on a Friday so that is spot on for me...and Economy seven lol.
    They havent mentioned getting minerals from the Maine or Braid Valley lorrys but hey maybe series 2!

gmisk wrote: »
    I am from northern ireland and in our house it was chippy on a Friday so that is spot on for me...and Economy seven lol.
    They havent mentioned getting minerals from the Maine or Braid Valley lorrys but hey maybe series 2!

I am too but I'm in my 20s, the mother always talks about Maine mineral vans, you can get them in shops now. Something I remember was a van that drove around the countryside selling bread and stuff, it stopped around late 90s though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am too but I'm in my 20s, the mother always talks about Maine mineral vans, you can get them in shops now. Something I remember was a van that drove around the countryside selling bread and stuff, it stopped around late 90s though.
    Ah I am 36 so maybe closer to your mums age ha.
    I heard about those types of vans as well, we were in a small village with a couple of shops though so not much need, we did have a milk man though.

The Glen chippy is the best in Derry. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

They have yet to use the term “stoke”, so until then it’s only getting a 7/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The Glen chippy is the best in Derry. Fact.

Controversial...

Fiorentinis do the best chips in town IMO.

Or FLorentinis as damn near everybody in Derry would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

armaghlad wrote: »

Would they get away with it though? Or would the PC brigade riot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or 'stever'

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Or 'stever'

The last time I heard that it was me da, and he followed through on the threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The last time I heard that it was me da, and he followed through on the threat.

:D
    Nasty.

Jute is by far my favourite.

gmisk wrote: »
    Ah I am 36 so maybe closer to your mums age ha.
    I heard about those types of vans as well, we were in a small village with a couple of shops though so not much need, we did have a milk man though.

My brother is that age, my mother grew up in Bellaghy in 70s, another famous place for the troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I really don't like the bits from the family home with the exception of the cynical old fella.
    The old fella is Ser Barristan Selmy from A Game of Thrones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I really want to like this but find myself tuning out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Just caught up on this last night, absolutely love it so far

It's so relateable looking back at teenage life - Erin bitching about the popular student then licking her arse when she approaches her, the 'back of the bus', the goody-goody always getting caught up in trouble because of the raucous friend, the naivety of youth

Michelle is the strongest so far but I've a feeling James will go on to become the cult hero of the series

Only negatives for me are the aunt (Orla's mother isn't it) who I find very annoying and doesn't bring anything, and I switch off a bit at the house scenes overall, although the 'chips' rant and the 'it could have been half an inch actually' spiel were standout moments.

Looking forward to the rest of the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not surprising I am sure they could have found locations in Derry to film instead of Belfast
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Controversial...

Fiorentinis do the best chips in town IMO.

Or FLorentinis as damn near everybody in Derry would say.

Fiorentinis shots itself in the foot by closing at 5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tonight's episode is crap. Really disappointed as loved the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Her cheek lines freak the bejaysus out of me.

Prefer this week to last week but it never seems to end well, just peter out

Advertisement