Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The second episode got more laughs out of me. I love the deadpan nun. Another Inbetweeners comparison here; she reminds me of Greg Davies’ character in that show. “Was I suppose to pause dramatically there? Interesting”, “I won’t be joining you because... I hate the French”.

But her parts were the only bits I laughed at apart from economy 7. It’s just not funny enough for me to stick with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The second episode got more laughs out of me. I love the deadpan nun. Another Inbetweeners comparison here; she reminds me of Greg Davies’ character in that show. “Was I suppose to pause dramatically there? Interesting”, “I won’t be joining you because... I hate the French”.

But her parts were the only bits I laughed at apart from economy 7. It’s just not funny enough for me to stick with.

The nun is the unintentional star of the show. Is there room for a Sr X show rather than father Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Enjoyed Ep3.....and a lot of Derry actually used in the filming.

Would totally agree, the nun is the star of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

armaghlad wrote: »
    They have yet to use the term “stoke”, so until then it’s only getting a 7/10.

I did hear 'boke' (vomit) in the first episode though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭corkie

This is what the Derry Girls cast look like in real life

Edit: - Sorry for Linking a Click-bait article :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

<snip>

Well aren't you just a delight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

James74 wrote: »
    Well aren't you just a delight.

Best to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

corkie wrote: »

They wrote an "article" based on pulling pics from their social media accounts? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just watched the first 2 episodes.

Had only seen the odd ad for it and took little heed of it but my wife download it tonight

Loved it, thought it was brilliant.

McAleer as Uncle Colm made me crack up, after they set the scene for him earlier with the phone call.

More McAleer, that's what this country, needs.

The funny thing is, Kevin didn’t even have to “act”, he was just being himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Anyone complaining about the speed at which they talk and the overacting has never spend more than 5 minutes in Derry. They nail both of them in this series.

For me episode 1 was the best one so far, followed by 3 and then 2.

These seem to change depending how far south you live, as does your love of the Nun who I can take or leave tbh.

If you're not from the NW I feel you'd miss about 25% of the humour.

8/10 overall for me so far, won't get higher until the phrase "mucker" is uttered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

Anyone complaining about the speed at which they talk and the overacting has never spend more than 5 minutes in Derry. They nail both of them in this series.

For me episode 1 was the best one so far, followed by 3 and then 2.

These seem to change depending how far south you live, as does your love of the Nun who I can take or leave tbh.

If you're not from the NW I feel you'd miss about 25% of the humour.

8/10 overall for me so far, won't get higher until the phrase "mucker" is uttered.

Mucker, jute, yes hi! "That's wile", bars, scunnered, Bert are all missing. No one has mentioned the bru yet.

corkie wrote: »

So.....they look exactly as they do in the show?:rolleyes:

Its not like they are in the Lord of the Rings or anything, with a lot of heavy makeup and prosthetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,016 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The social media outlets have gone overboard in writing about this show..

"You'll never believe how old with Derry Girls actor is"
    "11 best lines from Derry Girls"

etc. etc.

We're only 3 episodes in and while I'm enjoying it, the constant fawning by JOE.ie and the likes is testing my patience..

While it's a solid show, I wouldn't even put it inside the top 50 comedies Channel 4 have aired over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

It's a decent show with some laugh out loud moments but christ above the main blonde girl is a poor actor. Her over exaggerated facial gymnastics are terrible. The director should have talked her out of doing that crap as everything else in the show is delivered very intelligently

Paisley still being heard when the TV volume was turned down to zero was my fav moment of episode 3.

"I don't know how he does it".

As for social media fawning over it, well thats just the way social media works I'm afraid. And its hard to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I am too but I'm in my 20s, the mother always talks about Maine mineral vans, you can get them in shops now. Something I remember was a van that drove around the countryside selling bread and stuff, it stopped around late 90s though.

The Maine vans are still a thing in Derry. I saw them delivering about houses in Dublin a few years ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Baby4 wrote: »

The weeping statues thing is a bit more like what you'd have expected from the mid 1980s not the mid 1990s. It's a bit out of keeping with time and is VERY like an Only Fools and Horses episode about a weeping statue scam that Del Boy accidentally caused.

I think the acting's great though and the storylines have been pretty solid other than that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dulux99 wrote: »
    Her over exaggerated facial gymnastics are terrible. The director should have talked her out of doing that crap as everything else in the show is delivered very intelligently

I'd imagine it's the director who talked her into it, as opposed to talking her out of it. I haven't seen any of her other work etc but I presumed that she is being asked to do the whole OTT gurning in order to portray the overly dramatic teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I know a few people who actually have faces like that. It's not that unrealistic.

• Advertisement

Baby4 wrote: »

Weeping statue was Ep.3, so if you thought 2 was very poor and you turned off 3 half way, maybe its just not for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

NIMAN wrote: »

Its not like they are in the Lord of the Rings or anything, with a lot of heavy makeup and prosthetics.

I don't think its saying they look all that different but just showing you them how they normally act/dress without school girl uniforms and haircuts

Basq wrote: »

etc. etc.

We're only 3 episodes in and while I'm enjoying it, the constant fawning by JOE.ie and the likes is testing my patience..

While it's a solid show, I wouldn't even put it inside the top 50 comedies Channel 4 have aired over the years.

Channel 4 produce abolsutely top quality shows. Their dramas especially imo are amazing. Had a bit of a channel 4 binge at the weekend on their website, literally just watching everything they suggest :pac:

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's the director who talked her into it, as opposed to talking her out of it. I haven't seen any of her other work etc but I presumed that she is being asked to do the whole OTT gurning in order to portray the overly dramatic teenager.

Well he shouldn't ! Its very irritating and completely distracts from the good lines and dialogue, I think Id like her character if she stopped pulling the faces but I can't really take her seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Peep Show, Man Down, Roisin Conatys Game Face, Back (Mitchell and Webb), that show with Jo Brand and Alan Davies that I liked, Catastrophe (never seen it but highly rated).

While it has its moments, I wouldn’t have Derry Girls in the bracket of the above shows, or even that close really. C4 really is a good spot for comedy right now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

DrPhilG wrote: »

Well either way the director shouldn't encourage it. It's stupid and over-acted hugely, she seems to do it for the sake of doing it, and it just isn't funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

NIMAN wrote: »

I know, I really regret succumbing to the clickbait by clicking on that. :rolleyes:

But sure ya know what JOE.ie is like, slavering over any bit of praise anything Irish gets. Wondering at themselves (and basking in the reflected glory of something they have no part in) as my mother would say. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Not as bad as the Derry Journal website who seem to be having at least 3 articles a day about the show since it started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

etc. etc.

It is a big ratings winner for Channel 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Ugh this is dying.....

Advertisement