Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Didn't start great but loving the house party + the 90s tunes. I'd love to download the soundtrack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Found the first half better than the second there, they tried to cram a bit too much in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Poor enough episode tonight, it seems like there is too much going for such a short running time and too many charachters too, plot tonight was quite weak. It's like they have everything in place for it to be really good but it's struggling a bit with its script

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think the english boy is very unnecessary he really adds very little to the show other than acting an excuse for the others to make jokes about england, some of which are funny but yeh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think the english boy is very unnecessary

Brits Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

"Foreigners f**king love the Giant's Causeway..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

"What station was it? "
    "Jesus falls the second time"

I love the Grandad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Basq wrote: »
    The social media outlets have gone overboard in writing about this show..

"You'll never believe how old with Derry Girls actor is"
    "11 best lines from Derry Girls"

etc. etc.

We're only 3 episodes in and while I'm enjoying it, the constant fawning by JOE.ie and the likes is testing my patience..

While it's a solid show, I wouldn't even put it inside the top 50 comedies Channel 4 have aired over the years.

Yeah it's not a bad show but it's not that great to be honest. At least in comparison to the huge amount of publicity and attention it's receiving.

I keep thinking I must be missing something but I don't think I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,902 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah it's not a bad show but it's not that great to be honest. At least in comparison to the huge amount of publicity and attention it's receiving.

I keep thinking I must be missing something but I don't think I am.

You're right, but it says more about social media and the power it has these days.

It's a mildly funny show. Nothing more. Probably a bit funnier if you're from Derry, the NW or Ireland than from further afield.

But these websites have got space to fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I never understand the whining ninnies when it comes to tv - esp drama and comedy.

Guess what? - Different people like different things.

Personally I think Ricky Gervais is the least funniest comedian ever. But that doesn't mean I'm saying "he's crap" or "unfunny" per se - its just I don't get his humour.

Whereas Jimmy Carr is the funniest for me - I just love his comedy. But many dislike him.

As usual you even had negative ninnies complaining about Derry girls before it was even aired? Christ! How stupid is that.

I've watched 3 episodes with herself and as Thursday nights go, it was funny. Not in the class of fr ted or only fools, but good enough to want to watch it next week.

If you don't like it - well then its not for you. Doesn't mean its "crap" though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,902 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Correct.

Comedy is very like music, very subjective.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dulux99 wrote: »
    It's a decent show with some laugh out loud moments but christ above the main blonde girl is a poor actor. Her over exaggerated facial gymnastics are terrible. The director should have talked her out of doing that crap as everything else in the show is delivered very intelligently

Have to agree. I just watched the first two episodes, and while it was decent enough and quite funny in parts, the level of overacting from her is off-putting. Not too keen on her dopey cousin either, it's like she's trying to sound as if she's permanently stoned, but can't quite pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I enjoyed episode 4. The party sound track was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I never understand the whining ninnies when it comes to tv - esp drama and comedy.

Guess what? - Different people like different things.

Personally I think Ricky Gervais is the least funniest comedian ever. But that doesn't mean I'm saying "he's crap" or "unfunny" per se - its just I don't get his humour.

Whereas Jimmy Carr is the funniest for me - I just love his comedy. But many dislike him.

As usual you even had negative ninnies complaining about Derry girls before it was even aired? Christ! How stupid is that.

I've watched 3 episodes with herself and as Thursday nights go, it was funny. Not in the class of fr ted or only fools, but good enough to want to watch it next week.

If you don't like it - well then its not for you. Doesn't mean its "crap" though.

Nah, it’s ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

appledrop wrote: »
    Didn't start great but loving the house party + the 90s tunes. I'd love to download the soundtrack!

If you have Spotify - the soundtrack is there in all its retro glory! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I thought it was a decent episode overall. Would agree that the sound-track was good, and has been good throughout, but thought it especially nice the use of Mary Black for the closing credits after the sweet ending with the picture of the mother.

"Clive is a poor prod from East Belfast" :D

Thought it gas how the "Russians" were seen as some sort of attraction. "Your ma sent us up to have a look at the Russian". Played into the whole insular aspect of Ireland and the integration of foreigners in the 90s.

The English cousin annoys me as well though. He's pretty much a carbon-copy of Simon from the Inbetweeners, who was the most annoying character in that too.

"I may as well lose the rest of my virginity" was the quote of the episode though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The English cousin annoys me as well though.

I don't mind the English cousin, and if it was just a show for NI he could be left out. But, it's shown across the UK he probably represents them in that 'if I were living in NI that would be me'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't mind the English cousin, and if it was just a show for NI he could be left out. But, it's shown across the UK he probably represents them in that 'if I were living in NI that would be me'.

I have no problem with his character in theory it was actually really funny at the beginning when he was the only boy in the girl school because they were afraid he'd be bet up in the lads school
    But he has no funny lines and a lot of his lines make me cringe, like when he was shouting in the chip shop about it being greasy or something stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

wakka12 wrote: »
    I have no problem with his character in theory it was actually really funny at the beginning when he was the only boy in the girl school because they were afraid he'd be bet up in the lads school
    But he has no funny lines and a lot of his lines make me cringe, like when he was shouting in the chip shop about it being greasy or something stupid

I thought he'd a lot more potential at the start myself

Maybe he'll take more of a prominent role in series 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Love the series, thought last night was a bit weak. Can't wait until next Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I really liked last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Watched the first few episodes... Not great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Whereas Jimmy Carr is the funniest
    His laugh is the most irritating sound in the world though
    Watched the first 3 episodes, excellent so far. Id like to see them use tiernan a bit more, loved everything about the chipper, the house party, pulp fiction reference also good chemistry with the cast, Michelle is deadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really like the English cousin . Can't stand the dopey one though whatever she is called. Don't get the point of her. No teenager is like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Loving this. Nice growth in the show over the episodes, for example the depth added to the Grandad's character in the last episode.

I'd nearly given up hope of good new comedy on CH4 and BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It's very funny, but are they taking artistic licence with the amount of religiosity in it, or was Derry really like that in the 1990s?

I grew up in 1990s Dublin and Cork and it was definitely not even remotely as religious as that. It looks more like the kind of attitudes you'd have seen maybe in the 1960s or so.

I could be misreading it and looking at it from a 'southern' and exclusively urban perspective and I know it's comedy so they can really do whatever they like, but was Derry THAT religious in the mid 90s?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's very funny, but are they taking artistic licence with the amount of religiosity in it, or was Derry really like that in the 1990s?

I grew up in 1990s Dublin and Cork and it was definitely not even remotely as religious as that. It looks more like the kind of attitudes you'd have seen maybe in the 1960s or so.

I could be misreading it and looking at it from a 'southern' and exclusively urban perspective and I know it's comedy so they can really do whatever they like, but was Derry THAT religious in the mid 90s?!

Can't speak for Derry, but west coast counties were and some of the NE co's as well in my experience.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I guess different families, different perspectives perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I guess different families, different perspectives perhaps.

Not just families, my boss sent a taxi for me to make sure I made it to mass after a late lock-in in mid 90's NE county.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Not just families, my boss sent a taxi for me to make sure I made it to mass after a late lock-in in mid 90's NE county.

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't even remember going to mass in that era, other than a few mad incidents at school where we were all marched off to sing.
    I also vaguely remember being on a 'retreat' which seemed to just involve standing around drinking cups of tea and bullying a priest with pretty juvenile jokes. He was trying to be 'father trendy' and we were just completely taking the **** out of him for the entire duration of the retreat.

For most of secondary school our "religion" class was with an ageing hippy biology teacher, who used to just take us out to appreciate nature and have a chat sitting on the grass and then do yoga. Loved those classes - there was absolutely nothing religious about them and it was just a bunch of lads having a chat sitting on the grass and chilling out. Actually, in many ways it was really good for chilling out in the middle of the day.

The only utterly bonkers bit was when they tried to do 'marriage guidance classes' when we were 16 in transition year!!?? It was this utterly contrived class with some really right wing woman brought in from outside about how to have a good marriage, which was all about 'talking to your future partner'.

There were one or two incidences you could have translated into Derry Girls, but I think I'd be looking at them from the English cousin's perspective too!

Advertisement