Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Skedaddle wrote: »
    It's very funny, but are they taking artistic licence with the amount of religiosity in it, or was Derry really like that in the 1990s?

I grew up in 1990s Dublin and Cork and it was definitely not even remotely as religious as that. It looks more like the kind of attitudes you'd have seen maybe in the 1960s or so.

I could be misreading it and looking at it from a 'southern' and exclusively urban perspective and I know it's comedy so they can really do whatever they like, but was Derry THAT religious in the mid 90s?!

Obviously dublin would have become less religious quicker than other places but Im sure its also exaggerated quite a bit for comedic purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's very funny, but are they taking artistic licence with the amount of religiosity in it, or was Derry really like that in the 1990s?

I grew up in 1990s Dublin and Cork and it was definitely not even remotely as religious as that. It looks more like the kind of attitudes you'd have seen maybe in the 1960s or so.

I could be misreading it and looking at it from a 'southern' and exclusively urban perspective and I know it's comedy so they can really do whatever they like, but was Derry THAT religious in the mid 90s?!

I grew up in Dublin in the 90s and remember it being very religious. Communions and confirmations were seen as a huge deal. Sure if you tried to miss mass for The Simpsons you'd get a dirty look and that was back in the days the show was truly unmissable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,297 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't mind the English cousin, and if it was just a show for NI he could be left out. But, it's shown across the UK he probably represents them in that 'if I were living in NI that would be me'.

I think he looks like Will the teacher from Glee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think he looks like Will the teacher from Glee

Never watched Glee I'm afraid.

Never watched Glee I'm afraid.

th?id=OIP.hWVJLw2ghy9mWkkVkuDynAHaKs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    th?id=OIP.hWVJLw2ghy9mWkkVkuDynAHaKs&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

Hmmm - not seeing the similarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Hmmm - not seeing the similarity.

I think its the curly hair that they have tried to tame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭circadian

Pretty much aye. There was hell any time I got caught skipping mass. For most people anyway. A few of my mates were never seen at mass but it was more common to be made go by the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I lived in Derry in the late 90s and the families of quite a few friends were that way about religion. Where I'm from, there are still a lot of families that are that religious (not sure whether it is for themselves or just to be seen that way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

FanadMan wrote: »
    I lived in Derry in the late 90s and the families of quite a few friends were that way about religion. Where I'm from, there are still a lot of families that are that religious (not sure whether it is for themselves or just to be seen that way)

Parallel worlds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dunno why people thought episode 4 was bad!
    I thought it was gas
    Have you got a Union Jack splashed across your tits, Clare? - I'm making a point. Is the point, "I'd like to get beaten up"?

'Winking? at your age ? Christ, I feel sick'

Few LOL moments for me anyway :)Im warming to a lot of the characters, sad the ukrainian girl won't be in it anymore!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Enjoyed the 4th episode.

It reminds me a bit of The Hardy Bucks.

It can be laugh out loud funny at times and other times it just falls flat, because they are trying to be funnier than they need to be or because you can just see the plot/jkes developing miles away.

I think the Erin and Michelle characters are brilliant, not sure about the other girls though, kind of neutral about the gay English fella.

It's a million miles better than something like Bridget and Eamon that RTE have served up in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Enjoyed the 4th episode.

kind of neutral about the gay English fella.

440170.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Reaction should be fun tonight online when the tackle the subject of the 12th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I’m looking forward to the laughs later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lisha wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to the laughs later

Tonight episode has the most potential to be good, marching season, marching songs :D

I recall visiting Galway in the 90's during July and the place would be swamped with NIRL reg cars, they would get the hell out of the place for the 2 weeks around marching season.

I’m a bit tired but I think I’m staying up to see Derry girls! Hope I wake up on time in morning:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Tommy Tiernan needs to deck that father in law

First half very funny. Could have done without the dope In the boot but how’s ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tommy Tiernan needs to deck that father in law

Awful dose.

'Sorry St. Anthony, false alarm.'

TT coming into his own in this ep.

• Advertisement

punt purse, puntless :p

TT coming into his own in this ep.

Definitely the most he's had to say :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

The grandfather is starting to grate on me. The joke was funny at the start but the same thing over and over though is a bit much

The grandfather is starting to grate on me. The joke was funny at the start but the same thing over and over though is a bit much

Wrecking my head at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lisha wrote: »
    First half very funny. Could have done without the dope In the boot but how’s ever

Well considering that was a big thing in Derry during the troubles it was kind of ok about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Wrecking my head at this stage

Agreed, getting a bit bloody old at this stage. Overall I thought it was a weak enough episode, my least favourite so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could have done with another half an hour, was only really getting started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I can't stop thinking in a Derry accent.
    Derry goes, Derry goes again, racing through my brain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I loved it, it's much too short though. Some great lines in there 'ah relax, we've got another two or three hours before the rioting starts', 'What are you looking at you tangerine tool!?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I felt Clare's frustration over losing that bookmark... Nothing more frustrating in the world than losing your place in a book.

Advertisement