Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AnPost - Envelope slit open (searched for cash?)

Options
  • 17-12-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Just received a bunch of Christmas cards.

One envelope is quite obviously slit along the side seam with a razor, as one may do to extract cash.

Dublin Mail Centre
    20:24:58

No cash was mailed with it, so no loss, but if this is as I suspect then it won't be the only example.

Anyone else receive similar this year?
    Post the Mail Centre, Date, Time and Serial Number (on the franking) and we'll see if there is pattern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If you believe it was an attempt at theft then go to the PO about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

fleet wrote: »

One envelope is quite obviously slit along the side seam with a razor, as one may do to extract cash.

Dublin Mail Centre

No cash was mailed with it, so no loss, but if this is as I suspect then it won't be the only example.

Post the Mail Centre, Date, Time and Serial Number (on the franking) and we'll see if there is pattern.

You received a bunch of cards after 5pm on a Sunday? Were the cards lying around for a while in your home. Possible someone at home searched the card?

Someone used to handling cards would be a lot more subtle or just throw away the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Dublin Mail Centre

That seems highly unlikely and as said above it would have been discarded not sent on. I thought mail centres had cameras these days too.

Anyway instead of posting on boards you should report it if you suspect theft or attempted theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Good luck with on post customer care , I got loads of lies when you get to speak to them which is an ordeal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

You received a bunch of cards after 5pm on a Sunday? Were the cards lying around for a while in your home. Possible someone at home searched the card?

Someone used to handling cards would be a lot more subtle or just throw away the card.

Yes, 5PM on a Sunday I received the usual email from AnPost advising me I had mail in my wall mounted steel box. Nobody but myself and AnPost have keys. Things work differently here in the sticks, especially around Christmas post, the postman is a bit of a character... but not the "slits open envelopes" kind, besides it was just one of a bunch, the others went through different sorting offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

This gives me a great idea. I’ll put a tear in all the letters I send then I can pretend I had sent the person money but it was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If someone had interfered with the envelope, would a clever criminal not just dump the card/letter and pretend it never existed? You'd be none the wiser.

Completing the delivery of a compromised item is a bit unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

There was no scheduled mail delivery today

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭DeeTee100

I ordered a hard drive from Amazon last year, and all I got was an empty box, wrapped in plastic with a note from An Post saying it was "Damaged in transit". The label on the box had been peeled back and the box slit open, very clearly deliberate.

Luckily Amazon customer support are very good about this sort of thing and they sent me a replacement straight away. I tried calling An Post but they basically said there was no follow up with them, go ask the seller instead.

Just goes to show this sort of thing definitely happens this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

11wingnut wrote: »
    Good luck with on post customer care , I got loads of lies when you get to speak to them which is an ordeal..
    DeeTee100 wrote: »
    I ordered a hard drive from Amazon last year, and all I got was an empty box....

... I tried calling An Post but they basically said there was no follow up with them, go ask the seller instead.

+1 I get lots of envelopes where the corner of the flap shows sign of someone attempting to peel it open. Reported it to An Post but they weren't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

could be a cheap envelope or one that had been used for other stuff before it was used for posting something?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

This is how I received a card the other day. It had 4 thin cards in it... I’d say the person thought it was a gift card or money.... there wasn’t though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This is how I received a card the other day. It had 4 thin cards in it... I’d say the person thought it was a gift card or money.... there wasn’t though

what are we supposed to be looking at? it doesnt look like it was cut open.

The sender never sealed that envelope. Nothing to do with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Photo

Most likely just fed through a machine and spit out it happens regularly enough if the envelope isnt perfectly thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Most likely just fed through a machine and spit out it happens regularly enough if the envelope isnt perfectly thin.

Was just going to post the same. A card passing through the automated sorting machine could cause a very neat tear like that. It’s most likely to happen on the edge of the card. For me, that’s the far more plausible scenario.

For the other picture with the silver envelope, that doesn’t look sealed and I’d first ask the sender if they tried a few times to close it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Also, the "cut" is irregular, more consistent with how described by dudara, and not with a blade or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Mine was very obviously opened and closed a few times the paper was very soft. It wasn’t slit and it wasn’t sealed originally but you can tell it is not in the original condition. I text my sister a picture and she confirmed

Mine was very obviously opened and closed a few times the paper was very soft. It wasn’t slit and it wasn’t sealed originally but you can tell it is not in the original condition. I text my sister a picture and she confirmed

You've just said it. Very soft paper, not sealed, with four cards inside. It probably fell asunder several times between your sister and yourself and the cards put back in. Why was it not sealed? The days of different charges for open and sealed envelopes is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

no way any postman/woman would throw his.her job and reputation away for a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lots of temps on this time of year, take that as how you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree with you OP, it can happen, and especially when letters or cards have come through more than one system (UK, USA etc) stuff goes astray. Not necessarily An Post. Its mostly cards that get interfered with, never seems to happen to official letters.

• Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

ED E wrote: »

i beg to differ
    from what i know people only get into An Post by word of mouth, and there is no way somebody would betray that trust,
    if the post was tampered with it was before it arrived in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Twice in the last two years my Mother has sent cash in birthday cards and they were never received.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've found a pattern between some letters being delivered which make reference to amounts of money and the exact same amount of money being removed from my bank account a few days later.
    An Post just laugh at me every time I complain. It's like everyone in an Post is in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭lorr27

My daughter received a ripped open birthday card as well this year from her grandmother, luckily there was no cash inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ED E wrote: »

saw a documentary about Royal Mail in the uk and Christmas before, 10 fold increase in missing post and a large increase in tampered post. Yet again, no proof of anything but somebody who needs an an post temp position is probably a lot more desperate for 20-50 quid than most.

Every few years there is a story about someone from An Post arrested for theft. It's not unheard of.

If you think it has been tampered with then report it to An Post. They take reports seriously. Venting about it online and not reporting it will achieve nothing.

Of course it could just be a burst envelope from an overfilled sack. Reporting your suspicion is not going to do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement