Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AnPost - Envelope slit open (searched for cash?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Mine was very obviously opened and closed a few times the paper was very soft. It wasn’t slit and it wasn’t sealed originally but you can tell it is not in the original condition. I text my sister a picture and she confirmed

Why wasn't it sealed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

everyone seems to think there are hundreds of people in an post sorting mail like elves.

99% of mail is sorted by auto reader machines and only until they reach the local delivery office are they handled - and usually the final sorting is done by the post person delivering the mail.

Only badly written addresses that are indecipherable by the auto readers get sorted by hand.

Remember there are millions of items sorted daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

CeilingFly wrote: »
    everyone seems to think there are hundreds of people in an post sorting mail like elves.

99% of mail is sorted by auto reader machines and only until they reach the local delivery office are they handled - and usually the final sorting is done by the post person delivering the mail.

Only badly written addresses that are indecipherable by the auto readers get sorted by hand.

Remember there are millions of items sorted daily.
    That is literally what happened in the run up to Christmas back when the SDS warehouse near Newland's Cross would be used as an extra sorting facility along with the temporary postmen and women hired for the purpose. Now I don't know if this still happens before Christmas nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

You've just said it. Very soft paper, not sealed, with four cards inside. It probably fell asunder several times between your sister and yourself and the cards put back in. Why was it not sealed? The days of different charges for open and sealed envelopes is long gone.

It was very soft due to being opened and closed a few times. She probably didn’t seal it because she didn’t expect anyone to open it and there was no value inside

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

monnies wrote: »
    i beg to differ
    from what i know people only get into An Post by word of mouth, and there is no way somebody would betray that trust,
    if the post was tampered with it was before it arrived in Ireland

I don't think that theory holds water: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/an-post-worker-suspected-of-stealing-cash-from-letters-130827.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

A bit of common sense would have you realise regular mail is not secure. If you send cash or valubles in the mail be it at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

VeVeX wrote: »
    A bit of common sense would have you realise regular mail is not secure. If you send cash or valubles in the mail be it at your own risk.

But nobody here is talking about losing things, they're talking about their mail being interfered with in the hopes of finding valuable items. You don't have to have lost money to want your mail to remain intact: I wouldn't send cash through the post, but I do occasionally have to send or receive sensitive information. I wouldn't like to think the postman was reading my medical test results or my bank statements, for example.

This post has been deleted.
    They have an internal investigation team who take reports of mail theft very seriously and have worked with the Guards on sting operations in the past.

If you have information to the contrary by all means share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

According to the RTE piece on them last night An Post have Dogs that are trained to sniff out cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Every few years there is a story about someone from An Post arrested for theft. It's not unheard of.

If you think it has been tampered with then report it to An Post. They take reports seriously. Venting about it online and not reporting it will achieve nothing.

Of course it could just be a burst envelope from an overfilled sack. Reporting your suspicion is not going to do any harm.

Seriously my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Twice in the last two years my Mother has sent cash in birthday cards and they were never received.
    You'd think she would have stopped the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

i beg to differ
    from what i know people only get into An Post by word of mouth, and there is no way somebody would betray that trust,

Yep clearly foreigners, no dacent Irish person would do such a thing....
    Twice in the last two years my Mother has sent cash in birthday cards and they were never received.

Money in the post? Might as well fashion it into a paper plane and hope it gets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Anyone who has any experience of An Post knows not to send cash in the Post.

It is inevitable in any large organisation that there will be some people who are desperate for cash and will go to any lengths to get it be they suffering from financial woes, addiction or are common thieves.

There are people here with first hand knowledge I am sure that dont want to say anything defamatory on a public forum but common sense would tell you not to send cash through An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

What bit of 'do not send money in the post' do you not get!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

In case anyone in An Post is interested when my daughter got married in 2010 someone in the mail chain did very well out of it. Suspect local as there where a couple of items went missing. Very north west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

no way any postman/woman would throw his.her job and reputation away for a few quid
    i beg to differ

Wrong. It happens quite often, and the Gardai have been involved on several occasions investigating theft within the post office.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/postman-arrested-suspicion-stealing-childrens-3644484

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/former-sorting-office-worker-admits-to-theft-31440581.html

While any report may not get your stolen post recovered, and it looks to an individual like they don't do anything, they actually do investigate claims of theft. Evidence can be hard to find though, and take a long time to garner, so don't expect an immediate result.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

CeilingFly wrote:

CeilingFly wrote:

CeilingFly wrote:

This isn't necessarily true, everything that comes through the Air mail unit is sorted by hand before being sent to the DMC ,and I mean everything, every letter every package, they don't have machines up there so they take on temporary staff to deal with the high volumes over Christmas.

In the big mail centres like Dublin and Portlaiose most of the stuff is done by machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057802390

An Post didn't respond go my last letter on this matter (after telling me that no trace of the lost envelope could be found) so I made a complaint to the Gardai.
    The Guard took notes of relevant dates etc, and said that she would interview the Post Master in the office concerned, so that's about all I can do really.

Absolutely no point in interviewing a post master as retail and mails networks are run independently.

My advice is to write to the Customer Advocate at An Post. Customer.advocate@anpost.ie and also ask that it be referred to the Investigation Branch .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

amtc wrote: »
    Absolutely no point in interviewing a post master as retail and mails networks are run independently.

My advice is to write to the Customer Advocate at An Post. Customer.advocate@anpost.ie and also ask that it be referred to the Investigation Branch .

Or here's a thought. Take An Post's advice, don't be stupid enough to put cash in the post.

But, if you insist, register and insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Or he's a thought. Take An Post's advice, don't be stupid enough to put cash in the post.

But, if you insist, register and insure it.

Isn't this what they call victim blaming?

Regardless of if you're stupid enough to put cash in the post or not, letters absolutely should not be cut open.

Oh I totally agree. It's in the An Post Guide, part of which I have more than a passing familiarity with.

By not receiving a reply within guidelines there may be a compensation payment. If you really want to raise the slitting issue the ocr on the back will give machine time and date

Isn't this what they call victim blaming?

Or idiot blaming.

An Post tell you not to put cash in the post. If you do it and it goes missing you can blame human nature, but not An Post.

I have no doubts that some postmen will search for money. Equally I have no doubts that if he cut an envelope to search, he would not let it get delivered.

Or idiot blaming.

An Post tell you not to put cash in the post. If you do it and it goes missing you can blame human nature, but not An Post.

If you don't work for An Post, you should seriously consider it.
    You have the corporate line down pat.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If you don't work for An Post, you should seriously consider it.
    You have the corporate line down pat.

Common sense and cop on are not exclusive to An Post counter advice.

But, continue to wallow in victimhood if it brings comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Sure look, I suppose if the aul fella down the road was slicing open your post and having a looky at what's going on, he's only having a nose, sure it's only human nature

The OPs problem isn't that money was taken, because none was sent, it's that the letter was opened an searched. How you can justify that being okay is beyond me.

Surely the duty of care is with an post employees here, their job is to move post from one location to another, under no circumstances should they be opening post for any reason, what's the stop postmen opening letters for a nose then so? Sure it's your own fault for moving sensitive data through the system there too I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

If it's "victimhood" to complain about theft, then I'm all for it.
    If it's the the victim that's to blame, does this extend to other forms of theft, trespass, assault etc?

Not surprising that professionals use the DX system rather than An Post registered post.

And is it not worthy of comment that off all the letters I ever sent, it's the one and only that had cash in it, that vanished into the system?
    Even An Post, who stressed to me the number of pieces of mail they handle daily ( over a million, they claim) must admit that the odds of a postal worker happening upon that particular envelope is such, that some type of technology must have been used to pinpoint it.

Advertisement