Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RECI and light switch replacement

Options
  • 17-12-2017 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Ah yes, the classic twin/double switch issue that seems to crop up in so many Irish builds, where the switch is wired so that the left one switches the lights in the room to the right of the switch and the right one switches the lights to the left of the switch. Other times, its a twin switch outside a bathroom with the switch furthest from the bathroom for the light inside and the nearer one for the outer room. Always puzzles me as to how a builder/electrician cannot see the fcked up logic in this and the years of headwrecking where you try to train yourself to think illogically and use the 'wrong' switch!

Anyway, in the past I've just fixed the prob myself and rewired the switch, but I've kept a mile from this type of work in more recent times since RECI came in. But... I just looked into this now and it would appear I can fix this issue myself without being a REC? Just wanted to double-checking this before putting this latest switch issue to bed once and for all!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not classed as substantive works so would be fine to DIY it.

Ask if you need advice but you seem to know what needs doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Steve wrote: »
    Not classed as substantive works so would be fine to DIY it.

Ask if you need advice but you seem to know what needs doing. :)

That's cool, thanks.

Personally, and I don't mean to be starting a war or anything here, I would almost prefer if ALL mains electrical work had to be done by a REC. But I'm guessing the main aim is prevention of fires and death by electricution, which tends to be more fuse panel and bathroom related. Even when it comes to Joe Bloggs connecting a plug to the end of a cable, it's scary the amount of dodgy stuff you see sometimes!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Subtle wrote: »
    That's cool, thanks.

Personally, and I don't mean to be starting a war or anything here, I would almost prefer if ALL mains electrical work had to be done by a REC. But I'm guessing the main aim is prevention of fires and death by electricution, which tends to be more fuse panel and bathroom related. Even when it comes to Joe Bloggs connecting a plug to the end of a cable, it's scary the amount of dodgy stuff you see sometimes!

If in doubt all electrical work should be carried out by a qualified, conscientious and competent electrician. To comply with the law this person should be a REC (Registered Electrical Contractor) for domestic installations. However in my opinion (and many others) this is more for revenue purposes than safety otherwise the same legal requirement would be applied to industrial installations.

Industrial installations are almost always far more complex and as such require far more technical understanding / ability to ensure that they are safe.

Electrical work in bathrooms (in domestic installations) should only be carried out by a REC to comply with the law. However non registered persons are permitted to replace bulbs in bathroom light fittings according to CER, despite suggestions to the contrary by some.

Advertisement