Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-worker rolling eyes

Options
  • 17-12-2017 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I have been in my new job a few months. Another guy started with me (let's call him Mark-he's a mature student, first job after graduation). I have been working for about ten years before this job. There is a woman who does the same job as Mark that sits opposite him on the other side of a partition. I am sitting beside Mark so I am slightly to the left of this woman (also opposite her).
    Mark has to ask questions of this woman as he is still new to the job and she has been working there for years. I have noticed a few time that when he asks a question she rolls her eyes as if to say "what a stupid question". Mark is good at his job and I don't see anything wrong with what he is asking. He can't see her doing it because her PC screen blocks his view but I can see it quite clearly.
    I am really p****ed off about it because it is very unprofessional and Mark is a good guy and a hard worker. Obviously it is nothing to do with me as I don't really work with this woman. She strikes me as very bitter and clearly doesn't like her job very much. I can't stand people like that myself. My attitude is they should bugger off and get another job if they don't like it.
    I could say something to her but I work with her every day so I have to be mindful of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

No sense in you getting involved, really. A little eye-rolling might be a bit rude, but it doesn't come anywhere near to being a serious or actionable issue (like, say, sexual harassment or something), and you saying something about it to her isn't going to change anything and would probably just lead to drama and make things worse all around (both for you and for Mark). If her attitude is poor in general, it will likely come to the attention of her manager eventually and they'd be the ones who should be addressing it if they feel it necessary, not you. Just let it go and don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

dennyk wrote: »
    No sense in you getting involved, really. A little eye-rolling might be a bit rude, but it doesn't come anywhere near to being a serious or actionable issue (like, say, sexual harassment or something), and you saying something about it to her isn't going to change anything and would probably just lead to drama and make things worse all around (both for you and for Mark). If her attitude is poor in general, it will likely come to the attention of her manager eventually and they'd be the ones who should be addressing it if they feel it necessary, not you. Just let it go and don't worry about it.

I don't know if I can. I know much worse things go on in the workplace but I am a person with a very high attenuation to other people's feelings (I know that sounds ridiculous). I just feel very strongly about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

lukin wrote: »
    I don't know if I can. I know much worse things go on in the workplace but I am a person with a very high attenuation to other people's feelings (I know that sounds ridiculous). I just feel very strongly about it.

But, if Mark cannot see the reaction how are his feelings being hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Suggest to mark that he go around and ask her questions face to face. End of eye rolling. For what it's worth my advise is Stay of it. she's helping him and answering his questions that's all that can be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You can’t fix everyone OP so I don’t see the point in mentioning anything no matter how strongly you feel.

By the sounds of it, Mark doesn’t even know so how are his feelings hurt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

Batgurl wrote: »
    You can’t fix everyone OP so I don’t see the point in mentioning anything no matter how strongly you feel.

By the sounds of it, Mark doesn’t even know so how are his feelings hurt?

I am sure if he could see it his feelings would be hurt. Whether he can see it or not is beside the point anyway. She shouldn't be doing it. Would she have liked it when she first started the job if there was someone rolling their eyes at her when she asked a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Op this has nothing to do with you, I don't see why you would even want to go creating a fuss where there is none. Just leave your co workers alone to sort themselves out and get on with your own work. This is not school where everybody's feelings must not get hurt and everyone gets a medal at sports day.
    Everyone is an adult and quite frankly can handle their own sh1t at work. Who knows maby after this initial difficult phase of training they might just get along grand if left alone and settle into a routine this is hardly going to happen if you go creating mountains out of molehills.
    Mind your own work and just leave people alone to get on with theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Or maybe he’d be experienced enough to know some people are just assholes and get on with it.

Seriously OP, remove the cape and underpants, realise you can’t help everyone and MYOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

lukin wrote: »

This is something you'll want to work on if you want to survive the typical workplace; not everyone gets along perfectly well with everyone else, so there will always be some minor interpersonal conflicts around. Being compassionate and empathetic are good things, but you should resist the urge to go leaping unasked to the defense of others over every perceived slight; that will only cause more problems than it resolves and quite possibly earn you a reputation as a troublemaker in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

lukin wrote:

Get over yourself.

There's every chance she's rolling her eyes in an "I don't have time for this" manner as opposed to a "stupid question" one. Training people in is a necessary evil (and we've all been the trainee) but it can seriously impede your own work.

Remove your beak from the equation and leave them at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

lukin wrote:
    Obviously it is nothing to do with me

You nailed it right there.
    lukin wrote:
    She strikes me as very bitter and clearly doesn't like her job very much. I can't stand people like that myself.

Nobody is perfect some don't like people sticking there nose in where it's none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Ignore it ccompletely . Mark will prive to be a better employee than her over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I a workplace with 50 people there will always be 4/5 you don’t get on with

Smaller place of 20 3/4

Place of 10 2/3

And when there are a total of 2 workers

There is always 1

Advertisement