Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN killing network?

Options
  • 17-12-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. So the wife is remoting in here via her work machine. When the VPN is connected the internet on all other devices crawls to a snails pace or drops completely.

Surely that's not normal? Any idea. A Google search didn't bring up much other than debugging the VPN itself which is fine.

It's devices like the phones, Xbox etc where the problem is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

More detail required.

Is she at home dialing work or at work dialing home?
    Do you have ADSL/VDSL/Cable?
    Is she using a remote desktop program on top of that VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

More detail I can do :)

She's at home VPN into the Work network.
    We have this: http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband/vodafone-4g-router-cat-6-bill-pay
    Ping: 23 (average) Up 20 / Download 22

She wasn't RDP into her machines but does sometimes. It's weird, the minute the laptop gets onto the network everything slows down. It's set to metered mode so it's not downloading a ton of anything.

The network set up goes from the Huawei Router to one of two port Gigabit switches which are paired over a Cat6 cable. The remaining 6 ports in Switch one goes to Cat6a patch panel and down Cat6a cables to each room. The second switch is connected to a NVR.

At one of the sockets is a Linksys wrt1900acs in Bridge (AP) mode. At another down the other end of house is a Netgear Wi-fi extender in AP mode.

We are connected to the Linksys when it slows down (haven't tried the Netgear)

There are 12 devices connected at the minute (5 wireless).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Try Ethernet

Narrowed it down to the linksys. Factory reset it and put a custom firmware on it. Will check in morning if that fixed it.

Yeah, not the Linksys. I'm totally confused. Might be the B528.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Have you tried
    Try Ethernet
    , furthermore ,connect laptop with ethernet directly to Huawei eliminating rest of devices.

From your previous post kind of mixed:
    ...When the VPN is connected...
    ,and then
    ...the minute the laptop gets onto the network...
    ,so which one? Does network die when laptop without VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, not the Linksys. I'm totally confused. Might be the B528.

Its the laptop. Metered mode only really affects Windows, not the applications on it. Look at her network usage in Task manager, I'd say she has a work backup/sync application that is uploading/downloading the second it connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the laptop. Metered mode only really affects Windows, not the applications on it. Look at her network usage in Task manager, I'd say she has a work backup/sync application that is uploading/downloading the second it connects.

This.

Wouldnt be surprised if its loading a roaming NT profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Well if you use free VPN the problem is obvious. Free vpns are not reliable and using it can brings only lags 'cause of lack of speed. It relates to free proxy servers too. I usually use fineproxy paid proxy server. I think that $10 is not high price for high speed and unlimited traffic.

ED E wrote: »
    This.

Wouldnt be surprised if its loading a roaming NT profile.
    This is likely, will check that out.
    CastielJ wrote: »
    Well if you use free VPN the the problem is obvious. Free vpns are not reliable and using it can brings only lags 'cause of lack of speed. It relates to free proxy servers too. I usually use fineproxy paid proxy server. I think that $10 is not high price for high speed and unlimited traffic.

It's not a free VPN. It's a corporate VPN.

I've having a side thread with some other people seeing the issues. It might actually be Vodaphones network and how it's handling the B528. It's having DNS issues pretty much every 30 minutes.

I also need to get an adapter for the enthernet suggestion. Tis one of those fancy new Dell XPS15's with no ports...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What bandwidth are you getting without the VPN ?

What bandwidth are you getting without the VPN ?

Right now:

Download 11.72 Mbps
    Upload 16.24 Mbps
    Ping 23ms

Highest I've seen was about 35Mbps down. Lowest test was about 7Mbps down.

Advertisement