Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I DESPISE English: Will I find a Law Course hard?

Options
  • 17-12-2017 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I hate writing english essays but i think i am interested in doing a law course after my LC in Ucc. Will i hate it? I hate English and i think a law course involves a lot of reading, writing etc. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Yes, law requires a lot of reading and writing, both of which are major components in English as a school subject. Going into law and not liking English would be like going into engineering and not liking maths. What exactly is attracting you to law as a career?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

I feel i would like the business side of it! Working in an office, helping clients, doing research however its the course that doesn't seem appealing! I had a meeting today with my career guidance teacher who advised me to keep away from law as i don't like english one bit, so i have decided to stick with a more general business degree or BIS course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Hulgerx10

Law student at Trinity here.

Law involved a LOT of reading, and a LOT of essay work. Answers are based on essay-style formats. In comparison, I'd say English and History from LC are the closest approximation towards a Law degree.

There's a difference between the academic side of law, which is what you learn in college, and the practical side as a practising solicitor/barrister. I think you'd like the latter but you certainly can't get away with the reading/writing. Law students have very small timetables (I have only 2 classes a day) but we're expected to spend a lot of time parsing through boring case law and articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Thanks very much or that info. It was really helpful in making my decision. I think i will give law a skip as the essays, reading and writing (ie bulk of the course) does not appeal to me.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks very much or that info. It was really helpful in making my decision. I think i will give law a skip as the essays, reading and writing (ie bulk of the course) does not appeal to me.
    Cheers

You will have to write essays in almost all college courses. I'm finding hard to think of one you wouldn't have to do essays for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement