Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34" monitor and RDP

Options
  • 18-12-2017 10:47am

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying an ultra wide 34" monitor. This will be for work related tasks rather than gaming. It's just dawned on me, the majority of the time I will be working remotely to the office using Remote Desktop (Windows 10). I know Windows 10 is very good at automatically adjusting resolution and scaling in RDP, but I'm not sure how it handles a 34" monitor. Has anyone any experience? I've a feeling this monitor will be a waste of money if I can't use additional snapping tools for say snapping windows in the middle. Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

I use the RDP application in Windows 7. When using RDP, you can set the "screen-size" of the RDP application - preferably, set it to match the monitor on the other end - this will help to reduce/minimise the scaling & distortion of the viewing window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Monitor on remote PC/Server has nothing to do with your session.
    What if you have no monitor on that PC/server?

Video settings set per local PC.

Monitor on remote PC/Server has nothing to do with your session.
    What if you have no monitor on that PC/server?

Video settings set per local PC.
    That's not the case for me at the moment. Logging into a Windows 10 PC will change the display settings on the remote PC to match my local setup. I know this because when I log into that PC locally in the office certain applications have the text set to 200%, left over from my remote session. This is a Windows 10 feature (maybe Windows 7 does it too I can't remember).

For a Windows server 2012 it does not scale properly at all. Resolution will match my local setup but text and icons are tiny.

Basically my concern is I'll have a 34" monitor that will have a massive desktop but tiny icons and text and also that I won't have any of the snap features that are needed for an ultra wide setup, i.e. being able to snap a window into the middle of the monitor rather than have it span the whole monitor.

Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I see.
    Well, haven't got that big screen like yours to test, but on 27' it display OK once have "1440 by 900 pixel" on display slider and "smart sizing" on session window turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Basically my concern is I'll have a 34" monitor that will have a massive desktop but tiny icons and text and also that I won't have any of the snap features that are needed for an ultra wide setup, i.e. being able to snap a window into the middle of the monitor rather than have it span the whole monitor.

Can you create another account? If you create a user just for remote access then you can have a desktop config for local and one for remote. Obviously you'd get independent file spaces etc with this method.

The snapping is host based, I run 2016 on a desktop and I'm not sure even it supports it (2x22" 1080s at the minute).

• Advertisement
Advertisement