Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground Generator

Options
  • 18-12-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone

I have purchased a portable inverter generator to use when the power goes out, just for small things like tv's etc

The generator isnt wired to the house and will just be used for very short term using extension leads

The manual says it needs to be grounded so i have 2 questions.

1. I just want to fire it up today and test it . I wouldnt be plugging in anything, i just want to make sure it works ok. Do i need to ground it for this ?
    2. Longer term, do i need to ground it for my use? And if so, how would i do this. I have a tarmac back yard where the generator would be running

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'd link the ground on the generator to the PE in the house or to the house earth rod. Nothing else.

As far as safety is concerned, once you have a RCD in circuit and have linked as above then you are protected.

The other option open is to not ground anything, in theory this can sometimes be safer in terms of electrocution as there is never a potential to ground but I would not recommend it.

Advertisement