Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much would it cost to buy a 206 bell, run it and have a pilot available at anytim

Options
  • 18-12-2017 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

would be interested in finding this information out for someone, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

euser1984 wrote: »
    would be interested in finding this information out for someone, thanks.

Ha ha.... the Celtic Tiger is back!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I used to work for a guy who took his helicopter to work on occasion. well before the celtic tiger years. He must have more money than i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I used to work for a guy who took his helicopter to work on occasion. well before the celtic tiger years. He must have more money than i thought.

You know what type of helicopter, and did he fly it himself?

A 206 wouldn’t be the most expensive, but there are certainly much cheaper ones to run, and crew costs would contribute a lot to the price tag. Also lots of people who aren’t super rich share ownership and the associated costs of an aircraft, which could have been the case there also.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    You know what type of helicopter, and did he fly it himself?

A 206 wouldn’t be the most expensive, but there are certainly much cheaper ones to run, and crew costs would contribute a lot to the price tag. Also lots of people who aren’t super rich share ownership and the associated costs of an aircraft, which could have been the case there also.

one of those bubble fronted ones. 2 or 4 seats, i cant remember. Never got a go in it. Got a go in his light aircraft though. He flew it himself so no crew costs for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

one of those bubble fronted ones. 2 or 4 seats, i cant remember.

Probably a Robinson 22 or 44? Piston engine rather than turbine, so lower maintenance costs, and a fair bit lighter for lower fuel burn.

faoiarvok wrote: »
    Probably a Robinson 22 or 44? Piston engine rather than turbine, so lower maintenance costs, and a fair bit lighter for lower fuel burn.

yep, one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

The Robinson R44 is the Toyota Corolla of helicopters. It will get you and 3 people there but it has limitations, namely weight, rebuild costs etc. Although as helos go they are in the cheaper range. A brand new Raven 1 will set you back about 350-400k,

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/list/category/5/piston-helicopters/manufacturer/robinson/model/r44-raven-ii

Compare that with a Bell 206, jet ranger type and a 'cheap one' will be in the $1m mark. Anything under that will be a 35 year old heap of scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Compare that with a Bell 206, jet ranger type and a 'cheap one' will be in the $1m mark. Anything under that will be a 35 year old heap of scrap.

I think you're being a bit harsh there. You'd pick up a very serviceable and well maintained 30 year old 206 for €400-500k. The only difference between it and the last of the 206s is that the last ones may have had slightly more up to date avionics, which wouldn't be that critical for a privately owned machine anyway.

Additionally, to the untrained eye, a 1976 206 BIII looks identical to a 2009 BIII.

Lurching wrote: »
    I think you're being a bit harsh there. You'd pick up a very serviceable and well maintained 30 year old 206 for €400-500k. The only difference between it and the last of the 206s is that the last ones may have had slightly more up to date avionics, which wouldn't be that critical for a privately owned machine anyway.

Additionally, to the untrained eye, a 1976 206 BIII looks identical to a 2009 BIII.

You are still talking about a 30 year bird. Plus the 206's are a complex turbine, starting them is an adventure unto itself. The last 206 I flew was a 1990 build and had well shown its age. Only had about 40 minutes as they are also expensive to train on compared to the Robbie

On the other hand a new Robbie is an ideal trainer and very forgiving machine for the casual flyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

You are still talking about a 30 year bird. Plus the 206's are a complex turbine, starting them is an adventure unto itself. The last 206 I flew was a 1990 build and had well shown its age. Only had about 40 minutes as they are also expensive to train on compared to the Robbie

On the other hand a new Robbie is an ideal trainer and very forgiving machine for the casual flyer.

The only 206 I've flown is a 1988 machine and it's remarkably fresh. It all depends on how well they are kept and whether or not they've gone through a refresh.
    I'd have a very tough decision if I had the cash for a new R44. As you say yourself, the Robbie would be like buying a new Corolla, compared to buying a 10 year old 5 series BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

run it and have a pilot available at anytim
    A single pilot available at your beck and call 24/7 will probably cost you more than the average annual operating costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

someone said it would cost 500 euro an hour to fly it? does that sound right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Another one for Tenger :D

euser1984 wrote: »
    someone said it would cost 500 euro an hour to fly it? does that sound right?

For what now? A robbie or a 206?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Walter Mitty and spam on the one thread - over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement