Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower switch

Options
  • 18-12-2017 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

So my Triton T80Z shower is dead - no water, no power. The isolator switch on the wall doesn't want to go fully into the off position, and it sometimes flips back into the 'on' position again by itself. It didn't used to do this. I made few phone calls and somebody is coming out to replace the switch.

Could another appliance in the house somehow have caused this to happen? I ask because I started using an electric blanket a couple of days before this happened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

In a word, No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Your shower should be on its own totally separate RCBO at the fusebox. I think I might have been talking to you earlier on the phone. Your RCBO has a round button. Anyway as it's on its dedicated supply none of the other appliances can effect it.

The two biggest causes of the isolation switch failing are cheap switches and the cables not being tightened enough. A loose connection causes arcing, overheating and the cables to melt. If this happens it's important to trim back any damaged cable as it's dangerous to connect damaged cables to a new switch.

You need a 45 amp switch but I prefer 50 amp Hager, MK or something high quality. They are only a few euro dearer but last much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Your shower should be on its own totally separate RCBO at the fusebox. I think I might have been talking to you earlier on the phone. Your RCBO has a round button. Anyway as it's on its dedicated supply none of the other appliances can effect it.

The two biggest causes of the isolation switch failing are cheap switches and the cables not being tightened enough. A loose connection causes arcing, overheating and the cables to melt. If this happens it's important to trim back any damaged cable as it's dangerous to connect damaged cables to a new switch.

You need a 45 amp switch but I prefer 50 amp Hager, MK or something high quality. They are only a few euro dearer but last much longer

Thanks for that. I think I was talking to you alright. Hopefully the guy will bring a 50amp switch, but if it's a a 45amp, it'll incentivise me to not stay so long in the shower in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I never turn the wall switch off on my one. Switching them on and off for every use of the shower is not necessary imo, which also helps the switches last.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Bruthal wrote: »
    I never turn the wall switch off on my one. Switching them on and off for every use of the shower is not necessary imo, which also helps the switches last.

+1

I have seen many a good switch failing due to excessive operation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement